Newest Member
    SnowHabit
4/9/16 Snow Event (N&W)

anthonyweather

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gradients on the GFS and NAM remind me of the frankenstorm Oct 2011

gradient through mercer county on the NAM is crazy. these are based on 10:1 ratios so not going to verify at all, but it spits out 10 inches in the northern tip of the county, and 2 inches at the southern tip. The 12z NAM says maybe to advisory in Bucks/Montgomery and Mercer counties on top of the NW burbs. The composite radar looks awesome for tomorrow and if it comes to fruition we'll be seeing some really heavy wet snow for several hours. Even if it doesn't get under freezing, I think it will still accumulate faster than it melts. Whoever gets in the pivot point is going to see an awesome death band. Where that sets up is where the best accumulations will be even if it's slightly above freezing. Outside of that band though, the majority of the area will likely just be seeing a slushy coating to 2" on grassy surfaces.

12z GFS drops a wet snow bomb on redskys crib. 14" at 10:1 ratios :lmao: quite possibly could get a warning event out of this... 5:1 ratio's would still be 7" and with those rates, i'd imagine it'll accumulate better than that despite the sun.

That was my face when I saw the frames of the run come in. We all know it's going to migrate over to Monmouth County...

I feel for the mt holly guys. This is a brutal forecast. Someone is going see warning level snows but much of the area will only get minimal advisory criteria. I think they issue advisories and then upgrade to a warning as the event unfolds and it becomes more apparent who is going to hit by the best rates.

slightly concerning that the RGEM is significantly drier than the american models. though the canadian mdoels have been playing catch up during this entire system.

RGEM isn't drier than the other models? It has a sharp cutoff N to S, but it wallops just W of Philly pretty hard. 

Not as bad as the CRAS....targets the DC area....we dont see a flake or rain drop.

Well the CRAP never is right over every other model this close to an event so I'm not concerned about that at all. I think the gfs and nam are showing convective banding which is why the qpf is so high on them. With a moisture feed straight from the Atlantic, ocean temps anomalously high, and a pretty potent shortwave, I could definitely see qpf being convective in nature. Looking at a sounding it looks to me like thundersnow is a distinct possibility. I'm not sure that the rgem is picking up on that. Could also very well be that the American models are very overdone on precip. Wouldn't be the first time where you may need to cut their qpf totals in half from what their showing. Will be interesting to see the result as there are two distinct camps regarding qpf. I do not envy a forecasters job around here. Could be a slushy coating, could be 10 inches. It's all on the table less than 24 hours from the event.

RGEM isn't drier than the other models? It has a sharp cutoff N to S, but it wallops just W of Philly pretty hard.

Yes it is. It's a good .8" liquid equivalent less in the northern areas. And the Max precip output is .3" less. It's definitely drier. Much narrower with the precip than the American models as well. The American models are widespread .8-1.1" qpf while the rgem is a narrow swath of .8" qpf.

Archived