Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE fall general OBS and Discussion thread

The Iceman

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

JUST IN! Glenn unveiling Storm Ranger 10! First day! Means nothing to many of us on this board because we are usually ahead of the mainstream. Gimmick. And yes, Storm Ranger 10!!!

lol..publicity to temporarily bring in more hits is all it'll bring in.

would be nice to stick it up around here though. 

their not even displaying any of the images on their site yet. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get it? What if there is a pretty decent storm (T-storm, any type precip) in NJ....then it gets way worse in the NW burbs rather quick. Are they going to pack up that tank and start truckin? You just get the feeling they'll be one step behind all the time. It would probably be decent for a hurricane but how often does that happen? Bottom line...waste of time and money. It's amazing how much these networks try to out-do one another when the fact remains Ch6 smears 3,10 and 29 combined.

I've had a decent amount of rain during the moth of July, but as far as true thunderstorms are concerned, I haven't seen one in close to 2 years now. You know the kind, vivid, almost constant lightning, and thunder that would wake the dead. Well, those don't seem to happen in my location anymore.

Today was a prime example. One pretty good storm lit up Hazleton north, thne slid down into Carbon County east of me. I ended up with 2 distant rumbles and 0.17" of rain.

Cue round 2 and now the eastern segment of the line that would have gotten me is dissipating and congealing into a pretty good storm over Berwick that is heading toward Pottsville TO MY WEST.

It's amazing just how hard it is to get a good "true" thunderstorm in my backyard.

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

They are getting kinda smeared on FB. http://tinyurl.com/h82car7

Their hype is almost ridiculous...it's comical

It reminds me of "Twister" with that heap of shiet in the back flatbed.

It really is pretty funny.  

I wonder if that's the reason they chose a Dodge Ram.  lol

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

By "filling in the gaps" I think they mean "now with more ground clutter!"

haha.  Oh look, super-res reflectivity of a house.  

1 hour ago, Bacon Strips said:

lol..publicity to temporarily bring in more hits is all it'll bring in.

would be nice to stick it up around here though. 

their not even displaying any of the images on their site yet. 

Up there would probably be the best place for it, being a good distance from any radar.  Unfortunately, they probably won't have it stray that far from the city.  

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I just don't get it? What if there is a pretty decent storm (T-storm, any type precip) in NJ....then it gets way worse in the NW burbs rather quick. Are they going to pack up that tank and start truckin? 

That's what I meant by it being stuck in traffic all the time.  You can't chase storms with it in this area like they do with the DOW's out in the plains.  Just completely pointless.  

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

It's amazing just how hard it is to get a good "true" thunderstorm in my backyard.

It's pretty much been the same here this year.  Haven't had any good storms regarding lightning or wind.  Had one great looking storm this year.  However, it wasn't really a storm, but just a gust front from a storm that missed to my north.  Had one fantastic storm last year where pretty much every tall tree was demolished, but that's about it over the last couple of years.  

44 minutes ago, BBasile said:

It's pretty much been the same here this year.  Haven't had any good storms regarding lightning or wind.  Had one great looking storm this year.  However, it wasn't really a storm, but just a gust front from a storm that missed to my north.  Had one fantastic storm last year where pretty much every tall tree was demolished, but that's about it over the last couple of years.  

Yep. Is that the one w/the sideways...tropical looking sheets of rain w/40+ winds and lightning/thunder? Didn't last real long but fun. Best one by far and haven't had much since.

NWS radar conks out often although it's been good lately, the storm 10 contraption might save the day at some point. Looks a lot like the car Homer designed on the Simpsons.

All this thick soup and no rain today or yesterday as Ralph says that's unpossible

19 minutes ago, RedSky said:

NWS radar conks out often although it's been good lately, the storm 10 contraption might save the day at some point. Looks a lot like the car Homer designed on the Simpsons.

All this thick soup and no rain today or yesterday as Ralph says that's unpossible

It does look like the Simpson-mobile.

Ralph may be old school:

"For us to levy power
Proportionable to the enemy is all unpossible"
- Shakespeare, Richard II

My cluster of rain/possible storm have vanished...

18 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep. Is that the one w/the sideways...tropical looking sheets of rain w/40+ winds and lightning/thunder? Didn't last real long but fun. Best one by far and haven't had much since.

Dunno.  lol  All I was hit with was the outflow with maybe 30 mph winds.  

15 hours ago, Bacon Strips said:

switchin gears a bit.   this thing's already looking cane'ish

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/97L/imagery/vis_lalo-animated.gif

hwrf_mslp_wind_97L_14.png

Archived