Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Wind

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a lot of lightning here, we were sitting outside just now and a ctg strike landed across the street - yikes! Guessing winds were up over 50 mph....some rain also... all pretty intense for a few minutes!

Real happy I'm not a squirrel in a tree tonight yikes

I was just about to post that the winds have not been bad in my backyard as I'm rather sheltered by two close proximity mountains (hills) to my northwest and northeast. That being said, as I was contemplating and beginning to type, the lights dimmed about 4 times, but didn't go out, so I'm quite sure the wind is as advertised. It's just not really getting to my location.

I can, when I'm outside though, hear it roaring through the trees on the hills and the plateau of Hometown which is about a mile north of me. It has the sound of a mid to high level jet airplane when it flies over during a snowstorm., except that the roar is constant.

Peak gust as of 8am 63mph at 7:57am. Based on 1-minute data had at least three other gusts of 60mph or higher. According to MesoWest Brandywine Shoal Light in the Delaware Bay has a peak gust of 72mph. Enough all ready!

Wow...amazing.

I'm not complaining about this, just posting due to my astonishment, but this is probably the least windy wind event I've ever witnessed in my life. The wind direction is JUST PERFECT to come off the plateau north of me and not mix down fast enough to feel it's effects in my backyard. My peak wind gust since midnight is/was 16 mph.

As I sit typing this, all is quiet here. Most recent gust was 10 mph with my average sitting at 4 mph and a current wind speed of 3 mph.

Archived