joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, canderson said:

That's nuts. Literally not enough rain even see spots on the ground downtown.

that batch where you didn't get anything, dropped over an inch of rain over home and almost 3" total from yesterday. I was home for the evening storm, i was in Colonial park area at the mall. But our 1 80-100' large pine tree got struck again. my family has been in that house 100 years, I've been there 50. That tree was never struck by lightning and now has been twice in a month. I'm afraid we have to take it down now. The strike followed our dogs electric fence into the house, and blew the power pack out of the power strip it was plugged into and fried the GFI receptacle that was plugged into, as well as tripped the breaker. 

Great discussion on the rain event tonight from CTP with some personality thrown in:

SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM FRIDAY/: It should rain overnight across most of central and southern Pennsylvania. The hydrostatic models seem to favor a heavy rain stripe from southwestern PA into southeastern NY. The GEFS QPF fields in this region are in the 98th to 100th percentile. The GEFS is cranking out all the rain it can and thinks it will be a near record to record rainfall in the model atmosphere. Experience says if the GEFS has record rain then the real atmosphere does too. But not in the same spot. So we are confident in a big rainfall event. The Convective allowing models (CAMS) seem to favor the heavier rainfall farther to the south and east. The 3km NCAR models keeps probabilities of over 3 inches mainly along and south of the Mason-Dixon line. But, the NCAR ensemble was initialized before the MCS in Ohio formed and change the atmosphere. The HREFX is more to the north with the heavy rainfall, but south of the axis in the GEFS and SREF. The HRRRV1 and HRRRV3 (see GSD site) seem to favor south-central PA and portions of Maryland for heavy rainfall. And the HRRRV3-TLE shows areas in southern/southeaster PA with best chance of over 3 inches of rain. And it and each HRRRV3 member show 1-2 inch and hour rates during the height of the event. For the pattern folks, the GEFS develops easterly winds which get to -3 to -4 sigma on the cold side of the boundary. This and high PW explains the extreme rainfall from central PA into SE NE as this feature intensifies. The GEFS also has a good 3 sigma westerly jet in the warm air. This feature and the high PW air are probably causing the CAMS to produce training and one can see the radar forecasts show SW-NE convective bands implying training. So, we are confident in a good 1-3 inch rainfall even. Mainly overnight. We are not confident as to exactly where. Debating which type of watch to issue. Leaning toward Flash flood in south/south east based on rates in HRRR/HRRR-TLE. Some places will see over 3 inches as the probabilities in the CAMS imply low probabilities of 4 and 6 inches. The intense rain should move out relatively early Friday. A cooler day due to wet start in south and central areas and lingering clouds. Most areas will probably see more rain than they have seen all month to date. Should be nice enough to sneak in some outdoor activates Friday evening. I hope to go for a 30 mile bike ride. This will end our enduring heat wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Rain is just dying as it moves in. Looks like the convection south of here is killing us. I'll be surprised if we manage 0.25"-0.50" for the entire event

Agree. I don't have a trace yet and it's getting destroyed as it moves east. 

10 hours ago, Voyager said:

If, and that's a big if, we were to get the high end of some of the qpf numbers, I could go into double digits for July rainfall. I currently sit at 7.30" thanks to the heavy rains on Monday, and a couple of other events prior.

Just 3.47" on the whole summer here after getting fringed hard again today.... #4 driest and #8 warmest on record so far. Hopefully we can pick up some much needed rain this weekend.

2016 #2 driest on record for the year here too :unsure:

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Agree. I don't have a trace yet and it's getting destroyed as it moves east. 

i came out of Fire Company meeting last night about 830, it had rained just enough to have made the ground wet. i was really hoping to cash in on some of that heavier stuff. we could use it. 

We clouded up too early yesterday. The MCS triggered All the convection to our south and south east in areas that destabilized due to the heating. Then subsidence came into play and it was game over. By the time rain finally came there was no CAPE left to do anything

Harrisburg will be lucky to see 0.5" of rain after this is all set and done. There's been storms all around for the last 5 hours but there has mostly just been quick spurts of rain followed by a tropical drizzle with convection firing to the north, south, east, and west but somehow dying as it approaches

10 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Harrisburg will be lucky to see 0.5" of rain after this is all set and done. There's been storms all around for the last 5 hours but there has mostly just been quick spurts of rain followed by a tropical drizzle with convection firing to the north, south, east, and west but somehow dying as it approaches.

That exact same thing is happening here in Tamaqua. What appeared to be a wall of heavy rain coming in from the southwest just kind of fizzled and refired all around us, while it's been nothing more than an average, "run of the mill", light rain event here. Since the onset of this afternoon's precipitation, which began around 3:15pm, we've only gotten 0.13 in the gauge.

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

Harrisburg will be lucky to see 0.5" of rain after this is all set and done. There's been storms all around for the last 5 hours but there has mostly just been quick spurts of rain followed by a tropical drizzle with convection firing to the north, south, east, and west but somehow dying as it approaches

The past month I feel like I live in Tamaqua with the rain splitting us n/s and then re-emerging east. 

Archived