• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
jaxjagman

I used to think that when the SPC mentioned the TN Valley, they were talking about the eastern valley. However, I've discovered that it doesn't usually include us in East TN. I believe they refer to us as the Southern Appalachians.

Anyways, it looks like it's going to be really cold on Monday morning.

We have a wide variety of weather in different spots in all seasons in the Valley.Yes,you are technically in the Valley

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got down to 32 this morning, but little frost due to the dry air, I assume.

Most deciduous trees aren't really hurt by this brand of cold.  The temps aren't cold enough, long enough to cause damage to the budding vegetation. 

Let's hope we don't have any future hard freezes, as we did in April 2007.  Once you get below 28 for more than a few hours, damage begins to occur to everything.  I don't want another 2007 spring.  Ugliest ever...

Now that winter is over the NAO looks like it could be heading negative, along with a negative AO and a near neutral PNA. This is probably going to lead to lingering cold shots in the East through early to mid April. Rain and backside snow showers, with possible heavy mountain snows over the next few weeks. 

If only it was late January, instead of late March. 

• 2 weeks later...

Average frost free date for Knoxville is April 16th. I hoping this coming weekend will be the last freeze threat for us as I'm getting tried of moving plants inside.

Usually plant during Kentucky Derby weekend. First week of May is usually safe up here. We can sometimes sneak-in an extra frost or two after you Knoxville folks. Man, you got it going early last year. Hey, very happy w my garlic so far. You harvest it during June last year?

Usually plant during Kentucky Derby weekend. First week of May is usually safe up here. We can sometimes sneak-in an extra frost or two after you Knoxville folks. Man, you got it going early last year. Hey, very happy w my garlic so far. You harvest it during June last year?

Glad your garlic is looking good!  Yeah historically my garlic starts falling over first of June and I harvest it then.  This year it seems a bit farther along than usual.  I'm running a little behind on getting tomatoes ready.  Been focused on getting up and running with chickens.  Now that the flock is established in their new coop and run I'll be turning my attention to gardening.  Got 4 largish tomato plants in buckets I'm moving in and out as well as a couple of trays of heirlooms in the green house that are still pretty small.  Can't wait to taste fresh maters again.

Glad your garlic is looking good!  Yeah historically my garlic starts falling over first of June and I harvest it then.  This year it seems a bit farther along than usual.  I'm running a little behind on getting tomatoes ready.  Been focused on getting up and running with chickens.  Now that the flock is established in their new coop and run I'll be turning my attention to gardening.  Got 4 largish tomato plants in buckets I'm moving in and out as well as a couple of trays of heirlooms in the green house that are still pretty small.  Can't wait to taste fresh maters again.

Biggest concern I have right now is that I am having to water things...never a good sign when I am watering the garden in spring.

For the rest of ya'll...will leave this right here. (MRX disco...)

.LONG TERM...(THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY)...

SECONDARY COLD FRONT BEHIND THURSDAY MORNINGS INITIAL FRONT WILL

MOVE THROUGH THE FORECAST AREA BY THURSDAY EVENING AS UPPER TROUGH

DIGS SOUTH ACROSS THE EASTERN THIRD OF THE COUNTRY. SEVERAL

SHORTWAVES WILL MOVE SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE TROUGH FROM THURSDAY

NIGHT THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY. THE BEST CHANCE FOR SHOWERS WILL BE

THURSDAY NIGHT AND TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE LOWER 30S

SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND HIGHER ELEVATIONS WITH RAIN SHOWERS CHANGING

TO SNOW SHOWERS. ONLY HIGHEST ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3000 EXPECTED TO

REACH TO NEAR OR SLIGHTLY BELOW FREEZING...SO NO FREEZE WATCH TO BE

ISSUED AT THIS TIME. AN INCH OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE AT HIGH ELEVATIONS

AROUND 5000 FEET OR HIGHER. MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES FRIDAY

NORTHEAST THIRD OF THE FORECAST AREA WITH SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE

HIGHER ELEVATIONS. ONLY TRACE TO A FEW TENTHS EXPECTED.

FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING LOWS WILL BE SEVERAL DEGREES

COLDER AS THE TROUGH DIGS FARTHER SOUTHWEST. SKIES WILL CLEAR IN THE

SOUTH BUT STAY PARTLY TO MOSTLY CLOUDY NORTHEAST. AN INCH OR TWO OF

SNOW IS POSSIBLE IN THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS AND A FEW TENTHS OF SNOW IS

EVEN POSSIBLE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF NE TN AND SW VA BEFORE

PRECIPITATION MOVES OUT SATURDAY MORNING.

Looks like everyone in East TN is going to be near or below freezing at some point before the weekend ends. It appears that areas around Knoxville and south will stay at or above 28.  The further north you go, the colder the overnight lows get with even some lower to mid 20's showing up.  Depending on the duration below freezing, a lot of new growth on trees and shrubs could be lost.  It happened here in April 2007.  That cold snap hit the reset button on spring, as everything was damaged and had to re-leaf.  I'm hoping it won't be quite that cold here Sunday morning, but it has me worried.  In any event, it doesn't look as cold as the 22 I recorded back in 2007.  Got my fingers crossed, anyway.

I have a feeling I'll land between 20 and 25. My apple trees just bloomed, even though I've been below freezing multiple times in the past week. Probably not gonna get any fruit from them this year.

There is a large apple orchard just to your north near Somerset, KY.  I'd say they will be hit hard by the next few nights with temps deep into the 20's.  Sad. 

Think tonight is going to be ugly for the northern Valley at least.  Very cold w/ Hard Freeze Warnings in effects.  My point and click forecast is 24.  Knoxville is forecast for the upper 20s.  Duration is going to be the key.  How long will it stay in the mid 20s?  Liking the winds right now.  But when the winds die down...could be very rough for gardens, ag interests, and just the forest in general w/ new vegetation.  Not real happy about this.

Roan Mtn and the northern chain of the Smokies are covered in snow.  Looks like it went pretty far down the mountains in elevation.

Well, I think we are done with the frosts and freezes (hopefully) this spring.  Now, I’m wondering about when the next decent rain moves in.  We’ve been missing out of most of the heavier rain producing systems lately, and with temperatures warming now and evaporation increasing, drought could become a concern over time.  We’ve already seen an increase in forest fires this spring due to overall dryness. 

Our next rain chance doesn’t even appear until next Thursday, and who knows how widespread that will be.   

Well, I think we are done with the frosts and freezes (hopefully) this spring.  Now, I’m wondering about when the next decent rain moves in.  We’ve been missing out of most of the heavier rain producing systems lately, and with temperatures warming now and evaporation increasing, drought could become a concern over time.  We’ve already seen an increase in forest fires this spring due to overall dryness. 

Our next rain chance doesn’t even appear until next Thursday, and who knows how widespread that will be.   

Had to break down and buy some flonase yesterday.The pollen count is high and still rising,my nose and head is feeling every bit of it.We're starting to see noise on the drought monitor in the Valley like you mentioned ,it's dry

Could be a tough stretch. Mid South rain cannot make it across the state on days like today due to ridging over East Tennessee (and the Carolinas). It may finally make it over later in the week, but the system will be weakening/filling. Light qpf keeps rainfall below normal. Tennessee Valley may struggle next week as well. Once again a stubborn regional ridge may be slow to give way to the Plains system. Split flow causes subsidence behind Great Lakes waves, in spite of the southern stream.

Hoping the dryness isn't a long term trend.  It's been a long while since we've had a serious drought in the East TN area.  2007 was the last intense drought that really hit the TN Valley hard.  And this pattern seems similar to back then, with the Southern Plains and Texas getting more rain than they need, and we get very little.  By the end of the summer of 2007,  almost the entire Southeast was covered in some sort of extreme to exceptional drought. 

Archived