Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Signs of Spring - 2016 Version

JTA66

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This summer outlook would suck

we may be due for a scorcher -- hope I'm wrong about that.

We are going to cook like a pot of lobsters this summer. Find a deep cave.

see you next fall, heading into freezer hibernation 

lol...now you know how I feel when a BRUTALLY COLD winter is forecasted.

Saw pod of dolphins while surfing yesterday. Also gannets hitting the water hard so bait fish are in too. Very early.

Yup, my friend sent me a picture of a nice Striper that he landed on Saturday on the bay side in Avalon. Very early for the Stripers to be in the area as well. I think we're going to see a very early start to Striper season but at the pace the water is warming up, could also see an early end. I'm going to head down this weekend and see if I can land one. Any fishing days pre memorial day is great. No fighting for spots, little to no flys, and moderate temps. You can't beat it. Hoping I get some luck.

Yup, my friend sent me a picture of a nice Striper that he landed on Saturday on the bay side in Avalon. Very early for the Stripers to be in the area as well. I think we're going to see a very early start to Striper season but at the pace the water is warming up, could also see an early end. I'm going to head down this weekend and see if I can land one. Any fishing days pre memorial day is great. No fighting for spots, little to no flys, and moderate temps. You can't beat it. Hoping I get some luck.

I just wonder what bait fish. Herring or bunker? I assume with your friend catching a striped bass this early it might be bunker. I'm away for a week but hope to get out next week in Del Bay.

Stripers on the sod banks bayside in March is nothing new. I go out starting March 1 almost every year behind Wildwood using bloodworms on big circle hooks and land quite a few. Most are 20-26" but a keeper is found here and there. Hopefully it is a good run this year, the regulations changed due to lower numbers the past few years. Nothing like 2007-20012.

Stripers on the sod banks bayside in March is nothing new. I go out starting March 1 almost every year behind Wildwood using bloodworms on big circle hooks and land quite a few. Most are 20-26" but a keeper is found here and there. Hopefully it is a good run this year, the regulations changed due to lower numbers the past few years. Nothing like 2007-20012.

All fishing in New Jersey has been bad since Sandy, fluke fishing has really sucked.

All fishing in New Jersey has been bad since Sandy, fluke fishing has really sucked.

At least for me, crabbing has sucked (or bad luck) as well.

I went Fluke fishing 5-10 times in my lifetime and it's always been bad. (no "keepers") I gave up unless someone chips in my half for the boat cost and buys the beer. I'm sick of getting screwed w/fluke....

Depends on what your fishing for I guess. Fluke hasn't been to bad as far as action. Keepers can be tough to come by with the limit of 18". Crabbing has been a little off the past two years but I think that was due to the very cold winters. I will say that also depends where you go. I used to crush them up north in the Red Bank area. Since sandy that has definitely fallen off. But I have cribbed in SW jersey the past couple years and they're still pretty thick down there.

Disagree. The structure on beaches changed around quite a bit....where there once were deep holes and cuts in the sandbar you could fish like clockwork, these all changed around post-Sandy. I spent a good portion of the early spring following Sandy scouting the surf at low tide for new structure that fish like. A lot of what I discovered were flat beaches but there were definitely zones that featured new cuts, holes, and rips. Quality of fishing for me never really was affected after Sandy though as I suggested, the past 2 years have seen a notable decline in amount of striped bass caught from the surf. The big ones were still around but those 18-30" fish I was accustomed to hooking up with most times out seemed to vanish. Not really sure what this means for the future of striper fishing but if there aren't as many juvenile fish and most of what anglers are landing are the big mature fertile females...well, you do the math.

Yea the regs put in place for stripers isn't helping anyone. Most fish over 28 inches are female and now with the other keeper being over 43 inches that's just gonna make people keep the big breeder females. Fish that big dont taste as good either IMO. Wish they'd go back to the slot fish 24-28 and then one over 28 that'd be more beneficial to the conservation of the species but what do we know right? All of the beach replenishment has also changed the structure of the beaches a lot as well.

I agree redmorninglight, crabbing should be pretty good this year with the warm winter we had. I know guys catching up until the season closes November 1 this past fall because the water was still warm enough that they didn't go into the mud yet. Wouldn't be suprised to see decent catches starting in may this year with the warm water temp we already have.

Hey MattMal88

I share your sentiment about slots for stripers. Seems the lobby from big boat owners and the industry that serves them pushes for trophy class sizes. In Virginia the have or had a slot size where I believe you could keep a 20" fish. I can tell you they eat like candy. My wife's family lives down there and I fished with them quite a bit.

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2016 at 8:14 PM, KamuSnow said:

The katydids here went from 0 to 60 in a hurry. Heard the first one a week ago, now it sounds like a concert outside at night. Nice.

Same here. Now they crank tunes all day it seems.

I can't wait till we can change/create the thread title to: "Signs of Fall - 2016 version" I'm done w/summer.

Temp 86.6F and this may be my high DP for the summer at 75F

I know someone who hates that sound.  Me, I've grown to love it as one of the sounds of a summer night.  Hate it when I have to shut the windows, missing out on the sounds.  They love the warm humid nights of late July through August.  You can tell how warm it is by their sounds.

Different subject - Lots of thunder from a cell just to my west, and it's drifting my way . . 

Archived