• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Official Lawn/Garden/Fishing Thread

mackerel_sky

Merely depended on how thick she went with either the newspaper or boxes. I would say that no weeds til the paper products really started breaking down which took anywhere from 6 or more months. Worms are going to get underneath and really improve the soil in no time. If you are adamant on trying to keep the weeds to a minimum go several inches thick with the paper or boxes. If you don't like the looks of it just get a cheap mulch to cover but regardless,

if you do this your soil is gonna be happy.

I second this, I tested newspaper/boxes (obviously take the tape out) on about a 3x5' patch of terrible soil and was pretty amazed at how quickly (~6 months) it improved - I use cardboard in my compost but didn't think it'd work so well directly on the soil without any other kind of amendments.  

Heard the first Purple Martins of 2016 this morning. That's about 2 weeks ahead of 'normal', if there is a normal any longer. Hummingbird migration map shows that the Ruby-throats are just now hitting the extreme Southern Gulf coast shores. They usually appear here in Central NC between April 5th-15th. Bluebirds are busy checking out the nesting boxes, and the Cardinal fights and flirts are on big time this year. Had a pair of Red-tailed hawks getting all cuddly in the upper reaches of the pine trees. Red Bellied Woodpeckers seem to have paired up. Wrens keep flying into the garage, looking for a nesting spot (they started in there 3 years ago when Lynne was in the hospital , then build a 2nd nest in the hanging baskets later in the Spring ;) )

Heard the first Purple Martins of 2016 this morning. That's about 2 weeks ahead of 'normal', if there is a normal any longer. Hummingbird migration map shows that the Ruby-throats are just now hitting the extreme Southern Gulf coast shores. They usually appear here in Central NC between April 5th-15th. Bluebirds are busy checking out the nesting boxes, and the Cardinal fights and flirts are on big time this year. Had a pair of Red-tailed hawks getting all cuddly in the upper reaches of the pine trees. Red Bellied Woodpeckers seem to have paired up. Wrens keep flying into the garage, looking for a nesting spot (they started in there 3 years ago when Lynne was in the hospital , then build a 2nd nest in the hanging baskets later in the Spring ;) )

Had alot of Wren activity, in the garage, and picking at the coconut liner to build nests! The mockingbirds were going crazy this morning , the feeder activity has been pretty feverish , as well

• 2 weeks later...

Love it when the mower starts right up on the 2nd pull after sitting all winter!!! :thumbsup: Now all the chickweed, henbit, wild onions, pine cones and pine straw, twig debris, and the brightening zoysia are all the same height!!! :D Hellebores are in full bloom, 4 azaleas are in full bloom, forsythia are max bloom, Daffodils are about done, some 11 year old hyacinths are still flowering on weak stems, and I was really surprised to see a Columbine blooming today!!!

Oh, it's stink season, too --- the Bradfords are in show mode this year. (Wish the ice storm had taken them and left the pines alone) ;)

I used to fish a lot.  I got pretty good at it in fact.  Wish I would have gotten deeper into it and did more tournament type things living on Lake Murray and all that.  Anyways, here are some tips for those who enjoy fishing that I learned over the years.  (This is dealing with artificial bait).

Best Top Water Lures (best used along banks during bedding at least on ponds imo)

• Zara Spook.  All of them.  Full size, jr.
  • Rebel Pop-R - All of them.
  • Jitterbug
  • Rapala Jointed Minnows - Various sizes.  I liked medium.  Shad color worked best for me.

Worms

• Senko & YUM stick worms.  They are absolutely amazing.  Google how to use these badass worms.  Caught biggest fish on em.  They look natural as they float and dance down if you rig them right.  Junebug(color) was an amazing pond worm for me by YUM.  There are also special 90degree hooks made for these bad boys by Mustad that are a must.
  • Texas Rigged Black Worms.  Various brands, experiment.  Dance these along the bottom, let them sit a few seconds and repeat.  You might want to rig them weedless.  The best brand I ever used was "RATTLESNAKE" you could buy them at K-MART.  Impossible to find now :(

Spinnerbaits

• Boohyah Pond Spinners are best in class.  Cheap, and just great for big and smaller alike.  Even had brim coming for them at times.
  • Blue Fox & Worden Rooster Tails - Various sizes.  All great.  Best experience was with the Rainbow colored Worden and all colors of the Blue Foxes.  These comes in tons of sizes and are absolutely wonderful for ponds.  You can catch basically any type of fish with them.

Bonus

With those stick worms, Google around the "Drop-Shot" rig.  While this is best to use in deeper channels of lakes, they do work quite freakin' well in ponds too.  Basically the setup has it so the worm levitates just off the bottom and looks super alive.  The idea came out of Japan and hit the USA by storm years ago.  It simply works.

Anyways, short list.. but if you enjoy fishing and don't have these items in your tackle box... try them and you will not be disappointed.  I would suggest learning how to use the top-water baits correctly by youtube.  The zara spook takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get it down, you have a realistic wounded looking fish that very large bass absolutely crush.

RAH:

LOW-LEVEL THICKNESSES ARE INDICATIVE OF SUB-FREEZING

TEMPERATURES TUESDAY MORNING WHEN THE HIGH PRESSURE IS OVERHEAD...

RESULTING IN IDEAL RADIATIONAL CONDITIONS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO

LOW 30S ARE LIKELY TO REQUIRE ISSUANCE OF FROST/FREEZE PRODUCTS FOR

EARLY SEASON AGRICULTURE.

I used to fish a lot. I got pretty good at it in fact. Wish I would have gotten deeper into it and did more tournament type things living on Lake Murray and all that. Anyways, here are some tips for those who enjoy fishing that I learned over the years. (This is dealing with artificial bait).

Best Top Water Lures (best used along banks during bedding at least on ponds imo)

• Zara Spook. All of them. Full size, jr.
  • Rebel Pop-R - All of them.
  • Jitterbug
  • Rapala Jointed Minnows - Various sizes. I liked medium. Shad color worked best for me.

Worms

• Senko & YUM stick worms. They are absolutely amazing. Google how to use these badass worms. Caught biggest fish on em. They look natural as they float and dance down if you rig them right. Junebug(color) was an amazing pond worm for me by YUM. There are also special 90degree hooks made for these bad boys by Mustad that are a must.
  • Texas Rigged Black Worms. Various brands, experiment. Dance these along the bottom, let them sit a few seconds and repeat. You might want to rig them weedless. The best brand I ever used was "RATTLESNAKE" you could buy them at K-MART. Impossible to find now :(
Spinnerbaits
  • Boohyah Pond Spinners are best in class. Cheap, and just great for big and smaller alike. Even had brim coming for them at times.
  • Blue Fox & Worden Rooster Tails - Various sizes. All great. Best experience was with the Rainbow colored Worden and all colors of the Blue Foxes. These comes in tons of sizes and are absolutely wonderful for ponds. You can catch basically any type of fish with them.

Bonus

With those stick worms, Google around the "Drop-Shot" rig. While this is best to use in deeper channels of lakes, they do work quite freakin' well in ponds too. Basically the setup has it so the worm levitates just off the bottom and looks super alive. The idea came out of Japan and hit the USA by storm years ago. It simply works.

Anyways, short list.. but if you enjoy fishing and don't have these items in your tackle box... try them and you will not be disappointed. I would suggest learning how to use the top-water baits correctly by youtube. The zara spook takes a little bit of getting used to, but once you get it down, you have a realistic wounded looking fish that very large bass absolutely crush.

What about the Torpedo? The Danc'n Frog?

I'm with you on the Rooster tails, they catch about anything that swims! And like you said, Zara Spook, walking the dog style! Nothing like a top-water strike!! FLW boys are out on Hartwell right now! Winner takes home 150,000$!

I'm in the wrong business!

Been probably 30 years since I did any real fresh water fishing (living on the ocean, I was always on the pier); but my lure of choice back then was the very basic Mepp's Minnow. Got everything from bass to white and racoon perch, A few gar, and occasionally some flounder or puppy drum when the wind had blown SW for a long period and pushed salt water up into the Albemarle Sound.

Been probably 30 years since I did any real fresh water fishing (living on the ocean, I was always on the pier); but my lure of choice back then was the very basic Mepp's Minnow. Got everything from bass to white and racoon perch, A few gar, and occasionally some flounder or puppy drum when the wind had blown SW for a long period and pushed salt water up into the Albemarle Sound.

Even though I mastered freshwater fishing, I've only fished in the ocean once, at the pier in MB!

I caught a few spots, on bloodworms, that's it! No ocean fishing knowledge at all! Think I would like to catch a big red drum and maybe some sea trout!

Well, my free weed lawn seems have awakened from its very short winter nap.  Not nearly uniform weed green yet but looking pretty good for the last week in March.  :)

Backyard

medium800.jpg

Looking across the back toward the side yard

medium800.jpg

Looking up the side yard

medium800.jpg

Obligatory azalea photo

medium800.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Garden looking lush after the nice cool , rainy days! In bloom right now in the yard: oak leaf hydrangea , ligustrum, clematis, chapel hill yellow lantana, lillies, spirea,and gardenias! Went carpfishing last week for the first time this season, and caught some fish, and made double my money back! Life is good!

My grass hasn't been this green in the 5 years I've been living in my current house.  Amazing what this water does for the plant life.  Golf courses are looking great around the area... played Maple Chase out in Winston Salem a couple days ago, and man, it was in pretty dang good shape.  

However my Helleri Hollies do keep dying, every time I've planted them in my flower bed, they die.  I've went through about 8 of them now.  I'm about to just plant something else since I'm having no luck with them... no clue what the issue is.  

My grass hasn't been this green in the 5 years I've been living in my current house. Amazing what this water does for the plant life. Golf courses are looking great around the area... played Maple Chase out in Winston Salem a couple days ago, and man, it was in pretty dang good shape.

However my Helleri Hollies do keep dying, every time I've planted them in my flower bed, they die. I've went through about 8 of them now. I'm about to just plant something else since I'm having no luck with them... no clue what the issue is.

I've killed a few helleri hollies in my day! Not sure why. There are alot of better plants than those, that are evergreen and easy care. There are green leaved loropetalum that have white flowers , I have a few and they are awesome!

Archived