• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

The Euro and it's ensembles have been consistent for 5 days or so on a significant event.  The Canadian as been on board for a couple of runs.  The GFS is beginning to come around.  This may be my first time starting a storm thread so the mojo is uncertain.  Regardless, let's reel this one in!

The 12z GGEM:

yp2Skw0.gif

12z GFS:

UaiMOTB.gif

12z Euro had most of TN at 6+ and many areas 10+.

12z Euro control run puts all of TN at 4+ with 6+ eastern half, 10+ Chatt, North GA, mountains, and TRI.  The mean is a solid 2-5 across the same areas (except mountains over 6).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm adding John's post from the MRX AFD:

OVERALL...THE COLD WILL BE THE STORY FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK
WITH THE SYSTEM BREWING EARLY NEXT WEEK BEING THE MAIN HEADLINE IN
THE EXTENDED FORECAST. MODELS CONTINUE TO TO DIFFER WITH THE SYSTEM
EARLY NEXT WEEK BUT ARE BEGINNING TO COME CLOSER TO A CONSENSUS.
ARCTIC AR WILL BE IN PLACE THIS WEEKEND AS MENTIONED EARLIER.
ANOTHER 500 MB TROUGH WILL DIVE SOUTHEAST OUT OF THE NORTHERN PLAINS
WITH A WEAKER SYSTEM MOVING ACROSS THE DESERT SOUTHWEST. MODELS
INDICATE THAT THE TROUGHS WILL PARTIALLY PHASE TO THE WEST OF THE
AREA WITH PRECIP SPREADING NORTHEASTWARD. THE GFS IS NOT SHOWING
MUCH IN THE WAY OF CYCLOGENESIS WITH THE SYSTEM. WARM AIR ADVECTION
IN THE LOW LEVELS WILL DEVELOP PRECIP. AHEAD OF THE TROUGH. A STRONG
WEDGE IS IN PLACE TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUNTAINS WITH
TEMPERATURES REMAINING NEAR FREEZING ACROSS THE AREA.
THEREFORE...EXPECT THIS SOLUTION WOULD SUPPORT MOSTLY SNOW BUT QPF
AMOUNTS ARE LIGHT COMPARED TO THE OTHER RAW MODEL GUIDANCE. ON THE
OTHER HAND...THE ECMWF...GEM AND SOME OF THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS
INDICATE CYCLOGENESIS NEAR THE GULF COAST WITH A LOW TRACKING ALONG
THE NORTHERN GULF. IF THIS WERE THE CASE...THERE WOULD BE MUCH MORE
MOISTURE ADVECTING INTO THE SYSTEM. THESE MODELS INDICATE
SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER QPF ACROSS THE AREA. THERE ARE STILL SEVERAL
DETAILS TO WORK OUT BEFORE EARLY NEXT WEEK. ONE OF THE MANY DETAILS
IS THAT WITH THE WARM AIR ADVECTION...SOME OF THE MODELS HAVE 850 MB
TEMPERATURES IN THE 1-3 DEGREE CELSIUS RANGE. THIS COULD BE ENOUGH
TO CAUSE COMPLICATIONS WITH PRECIP TYPE. WITH THE SYSTEM STILL 6
DAYS OUT...WILL KEEP THINGS SIMPLE WITH JUST RAIN/SNOW IN THE GRIDS.
ALSO...KEPT HIGHS ON MONDAY MUCH LOWER THAN GUIDANCE WITH EVERY
MODEL RUN INDICATING HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 30S.
AGAIN...THERE ARE STILL SEVERAL MORE MODEL RUNS BETWEEN NOW AND
MONDAY BUT THINGS HAVE TRENDED MORE TOWARDS A SIGNIFICANT SNOW
ACROSS THE AREA WITH HIGHEST AMOUNTS NORTH OF I-40 DUE TO THE
POTENTIAL PRECIP TYPE ISSUES FURTHER SOUTH. FOR NOW...WILL ADD THE
MENTION OF SNOW INTO THE HWO AND CONTINUE TO MONITOR MODEL TRENDS
OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

Yes, the last big time snow storm event in January was always a big question mark for me due to the evolution and interaction of the upper level energy and coastal surface low, which spelled doom as a "down sloping" event for the Valley. Granted, that system was dynamic enough that the Valley still got some decent snow totals in areas. But it's this upcoming system that has me excited for some real significant totals. Cold air will be in place. Plenty of moisture and very good placement of the parent upper vortex. I think this could be a really big producer for a large portion of the upper Valley, especially East Tennessee.

Sent from my LG G4.

12z Euro EPS member snow totals:

TYS
32/51 - 2+ inches
12/51 - 6+ inches
7/51  - 10+ inches
1/51  - Over a foot
Mean  - 4 inches
Op    - 7 inches

BNA
34/51 - 2+ inches
9/51  - 6+ inches
5/51  - 10+ inches
2/51  - Over a foot
Mean  - 4 inches
Op    - 9 inches

MEM
6/51  - 2+ inches
3/51  - 6+ inches
1/51  - 10+ inches
1/51  - Over a foot
Mean  - 1 inch
Op    - 0 inches

CSV
41/51 - 2+ inches
14/51 - 6+ inches
9/51  - 10+ inches
4/51  - Over a foot*
Mean  - 6 inches
Op    - 14 inches

CHA
29/51 - 2+ inches
11/51 - 6+ inches
5/51  - 10+ inches
1/51  - Over a foot
Mean  - 3.5 inches
Op    - 4.5 inches

TRI
40/51 - 2+ inches
17/51 - 6+ inches
6/51  - 10+ inches
0/51  - Over a foot
Mean  - 4.8 inches
Op    - 9 inches

*CSV had a member with over 2 feet of snow.  :guitar:

I love the placement of the upper level energy on this one. The moisture stream is centered over the southern Appalachians. Very little warm nose with plenty of cold in place 850 up. This is the one to throw your money at if your wanting to bet on something exciting in the model runs 5 to 6 days out. Still plenty of time, of course, but this is looking really good good good right now.

Sent from my LG G4.

12z Euro EPS member snow totals:

TYS

32/51 - 2+ inches

12/51 - 6+ inches

7/51 - 10+ inches

1/51 - Over a foot

Mean - 4 inches

Op - 7 inches

BNA

34/51 - 2+ inches

9/51 - 6+ inches

5/51 - 10+ inches

2/51 - Over a foot

Mean - 4 inches

Op - 9 inches

MEM

6/51 - 2+ inches

3/51 - 6+ inches

1/51 - 10+ inches

1/51 - Over a foot

Mean - 1 inch

Op - 0 inches

CSV

41/51 - 2+ inches

14/51 - 6+ inches

9/51 - 10+ inches

4/51 - Over a foot*

Mean - 6 inches

Op - 14 inches

CHA

29/51 - 2+ inches

11/51 - 6+ inches

5/51 - 10+ inches

1/51 - Over a foot

Mean - 3.5 inches

Op - 4.5 inches

TRI

40/51 - 2+ inches

17/51 - 6+ inches

6/51 - 10+ inches

0/51 - Over a foot

Mean - 4.8 inches

Op - 9 inches

*CSV had a member with over 2 feet of snow. :guitar:

I like that chart format. Thanks, Stovepipe. :)

18z GFS which has struggled mightily with storms this winter(JB had an article today about it) has a short wave that basically is moisture starved and dies a slow death as it crosses the Valley. I think that is unlikely FWIW, but that is a possible solution. The GFS I am less concerned about...I would like to see the UKMET on board. Stil a ways out, but good trends in general today. The Euro has been tough to beat.

The shortwave energy is strong with this one. It won't take much. When it comes to winter storm events, I always get concerned with the models showing absurd totals because more often than not that energy ends up getting robbed by the subsequent coastal surface feature. In this case, I am far more confident in a real big storm event because the snow producer will be the upper level feature itself. With the cold air in place, it won't take much of a moisture stream to produce some significant snowfall. Those huge coastal storms fail more often than not for producing for the Valley. Here is a real shortwave event that only needs a little boost in Gulf moisture to go bonkers. I really like this setup. Hopefully it holds...

Sent from my LG G4.

As Franklin just pointed out in the winter thread, the 12z Euro parallel just obliterated TN with the entire state getting over 6 inches of snow.  I'd say 70% of the landmass gets 10+ inches.  North MS, AL, GA and especially SW VA get in on the action as well.  Big time weenie run.

The shortwave energy is strong with this one. It won't take much. When it comes to winter storm events, I always get concerned with the models showing absurd totals because more often than not that energy ends up getting robbed by the subsequent coastal surface feature. In this case, I am far more confident in a real big storm event because the snow producer will be the upper level feature itself. With the cold air in place, it won't take much of a moisture stream to produce some significant snowfall. Those huge coastal storms fail more often than not for producing for the Valley. Here is a real shortwave event that only needs a little boost in Gulf moisture to go bonkers. I really like this setup. Hopefully it holds...

Sent from my LG G4.

Respectfully, huge coastals deliver for the Valley, but they have decreased in number IMO. Used to be that was a mainstay of our winter wx. So, it seems that they don't deliver because when one fails, it is might be some time before another arrives. Inland runners are big storms for the Valley. Our biggest snows have come from those. The eastern Valley is very fortunate that it can tap the GL, GOM, or the Atlantic. Northern stream energy is often very tricky. The classic E TN snowstorm is energy from split flow that originates from the southwest, then moves along the GC, and up through the eastern Piedmont inside of Hatteras. Those storms are money in the bank. This northern stream feature is interesting because it is ramming a retreating cold air mass. The question is whether it will actually tap the GOM and turn the corner through the Piedmont after it dives SE. In the eastern side of the Valley, we could enhance the qpf available if it pivots over Georgia and heads north. The Atlantic could then feed the nw quadrant. The Para almost does it, and I think would if that track is real.

Respectfully, huge coastals deliver for the Valley, but they have decreased in number IMO. Used to be that was a mainstay of our winter wx. So, it seems that they don't deliver because when one fails, it is might be some time before another arrives. Inland runners are big storms for the Valley. Our biggest snows have come from those. The eastern Valley is very fortunate that it can tap the GL, GOM, or the Atlantic. Northern stream energy is often very tricky. The classic E TN snowstorm is energy from split flow that originates from the southwest, then moves along the GC, and up through the eastern Piedmont inside of Hatteras. Those storms are money in the bank. This northern stream feature is interesting because it is ramming a retreating cold air mass. The question is whether it will actually tap the GOM and turn the corner through the Piedmont after it dives SE. In the eastern side of the Valley, we could enhance the qpf available if it pivots over Georgia and heads north. The Atlantic could then feed the nw quadrant. The Para almost does it and I think would if that track is real.

Oh I don't disagree. Our biggest snow storms have come off powerful surface lows. It's just increasingly rare that the surface feature powers into the southern Appalachians with very cold pool aloft in place. The exception being '93 when we had a crazy phasing event that was a lifetime event for everyone. I'd rather take my chances with a strong shortwave this far out than bank on a coastal bomber. It just looks more fail proof. We have a good solid chance of snow over the entire Valley without any crippling warm nose interference.

Sent from my LG G4.

Oh I don't disagree. Our biggest snow storms have come off powerful surface lows. It's just increasingly rare that the surface feature powers into the southern Appalachians with very cold pool aloft in place. The exception being '93 when we had a crazy phasing event that was a lifetime event for everyone. I'd rather take my chances with a strong shortwave this far out than bank on a coastal bomber. It just looks more fail proof. We have a good solid chance of snow over the entire Valley without any crippling warm nose interference.

This looks like a good set-up if indeed it is reality. There is less that can go wrong. If it is on the models tomorrow evening, we are close to being in business. I am always a little skiddish this far out, but the Euro really does not want to budge from this solution. Would really enjoy seeing the whole forum area get hit!

The DGEX of 4 or 5 years ago used to regularly produce the most insane clowns around.  It was a weenies last hope.  Seems like I've heard that it has gotten more useful/reasonable in recent years, but I don't have links to back that up.  Just another data point in our favor at this point.

Archived