SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8-12 2016 Cold and Possibly Snowy

tnweathernut

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple more hours for the Tri Cities including Kingsport and maybe another hour MRX, so Noon-1pm, not counting upslope above JC later. Radar echos are accompanied by multi-layer clouds and a BNA sounding moist to 500 mb. Might also explain the sticky wet snow. Moderate snow has locked in cold low levels up there, at least for as long as it is snowing.

Wednesday evening over achieved for a similar reason. 12Z Wed sounding was dry as a bone 800-400 mb and exceptionally dry 700 mb. Wed evening sounding dews snapped back close to the temp profile all the way up to 500 mb. Models had the lift but missed the moistening aloft.

Wednesday morning could have been more the strength of the little wave or PVA. It was more localized though. Hope everyone enjoyed these light snows!

Congrats 1234Snow. 

This was a very interesting winter weather event for the area, partly due to the unexpected nature of it.  The first band of snow that hit me before daybreak put down a quick half inch.  Then, after looking at the upstream radars, I knew a surprise was in the works.  :)

Congrats to all that got or are getting snow today.  I'm heading out to play...lol 

Actually, going to clean off the car.  But will probably linger outside for awhile and enjoy it. 

1.5 inches here, stopped now though. Hopefully the NW flow will fire up here.

When is that actually supposed to start up?  I've not been able to pin down a time.  This afternoon?  Evening?  Just having a hard time finding the front on a current weather map, or the leading edge of the colder air. 

Edit:  Just noticed flurries falling here again.  Temp hanging at 31.8F. 

Per local mets...the colder air moves in and upslope snow starts sometime this evening.

Still only 32 here...so not going anywhere near the high of 41F today. Very little melting has occurred, and since its already 2:30 p.m., it looks like we'll keep our snow cover through most of the weekend. 

Light sleet and snow continues to fall here. Radar shows very little, but it was falling continuously as I worked to clean my driveway.

Archived