• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 22-24th Blizzard Observation and Snow Reports

The Iceman

Yea, because it was so windy and the snow was more on the powdery side it was really hard to get accurate measurements if you were doing it the clear every 6 hours method. Almost impossible really in this storm.

I think the NWS and CO-OP do 1 measurement every 24 hours, not sure though. CoCoRaHS asks for board clearing every 6 hours(that's where I am an observer) I think many were just doing a final depth measurment when the snow stopped and that was the total, which is fine really because like you said it was so hard to accurate readings. I think that's what Ralph did and if it was a non drifted area it should provide a somewhat accurate measurment. Like I said,some agencies only require 1 measurment very 24 hours.

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the area reports, I'm pretty confident on how and what I reported.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really impressive how well the dry slot for PHL SE NJ was modeled multiple days out. 

Yes it was. I wouldn't be fooling saying I was a bit concerned as the northward push continued into the start of the storm that a dry slot could make it deep into SEPA as the best frontogenic forcing was going into Lehigh Valley to NYC. 

Prelim report via Paul Kocin says this was a Nesis Cat 4. Didnt make Cat 5 due to lack of heavy snow over populated areas. Guess 1993 and 1996 (Cat 5 storms) were more spread out over more of the large cities?

Surprising considering that 2006 record for Central Park NYC came within a tenth of an inch of being broken. I'm not sure if it broke many of the 96 total snowfall records in SC PA. I don't think it broke any state wide all time max snowfall during a single calendar day or single event records either. If 93 was cat 5 this should be cat 5. This is the best observe snowfall map I've seen: link is pretty good too. Neither give Allentown its deserved fame that it deserves. My snow depth measurements are 26" for North Coventry (taken Yesterday at Noon) and 23.5" for Douglassville (taken at Midnight on Saturday) 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This storm was the best and worst storm of my life...

1) I always stay up all night when a storm is hitting. I made it to about 3 am, then woke up about 5:30-6 to the best conditions of my life. Whiteout and over a foot of snow on the ground it was the best.

2) Then the dry slot hit and I was stuck literally 10 miles from heavy snow for most of the day. Could have been an all time great for Philly if the Low was literally 20 miles SE. 

Archived