• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mr Bob

That is definitely a benefit! However, I am sorely offended that I actually had to mow a family member's yard in Knoxville yesterday. On the 13th of December. And it actually needed mowing. And I broke a sweat doing it.

Now, I'm not against mowing or sweating...I'm just completely opposed to doing them both at the same time less than two weeks before Christmas!

The absolute one sign of those strong and moderate Ninos of the 90s...the grass at the school where I taught never quit growing. Stayed green all winter. Again, it was those Ninos that made me swear to never again expect snowy winters during those events. I expect a pattern shift in mid January to normal temps. I really cannot envision temps for DJF falling below normal since the heat has such a head start. This month has been a torch by every definition and that probably isn't over. Now, the other crazy thing about strong Ninos is they can throw these random big snows into the mix. Not regional big snows but localized ones. I think the forecasts for 150-200% of normal are in serious trouble to state the obvious. Still could happen, but several region wide events just don't look likely. But...somebody, somewhere in the valley could get caught on the northern boundary of precip and get hammered. The mountains I still expect to do well once it turns cooler.

Edit: I think we get one or two "ten day windows" where we see our chances. Basically, winter may boil down to a couple of short windows.

Edit: Also, those winters had far more rain. So, this Nino (while warm) is not following directions very well.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A belated Merry Christmas to you all! Hope it was wonderful for everyone's family! What amazing spring like weather for the holidays...even heard a few rumbles of thunder yesterday in Knoxville after the intense storms a few nights prior. Took me a while to figure out what that big bright ball in the sky was this morning!!!

Does anyone have memories about the 87/88 winter?  We had severe storms/tornadoes mid December, flooding rains around Christmas and then on 1/6-1/7 there was a true west to east snowstorm for the southern tier that gave parts of Arkansas 15 inches, 10 inches to northern MS, northern AL, northern GA, and a general 4-8 for Tennessee.  It was also a cold storm, with temperatures in the low 20's throughout  If I remember correctly, 87/88 was a moderate El Nino, which strengthened to a strong El Nino the following year 88/89.

Does anyone have memories about the 87/88 winter?  We had severe storms/tornadoes mid December, flooding rains around Christmas and then on 1/6-1/7 there was a true west to east snowstorm for the southern tier that gave parts of Arkansas 15 inches, 10 inches to northern MS, northern AL, northern GA, and a general 4-8 for Tennessee.  It was also a cold storm, with temperatures in the low 20's throughout  If I remember correctly, 87/88 was a moderate El Nino, which strengthened to a strong El Nino the following year 88/89.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/sd/sd.html

86-87 was a moderate/strong Nino that continued into 1987-1988. 

December of 1987 had several days in the mid to upper 60s here. Multiple days with thunderstorms. Lots of rain from the day before Christmas until almost New Years.  There were a couple of cold days in the month with some snow showers.

On January 3rd-4th 1988 I had two inches of snow here with an arctic frontal passage. Temps  got cold, with highs generally in the 20s and 30s and stayed there for 11 of the next 12 days. I had a low of 2 degrees on January 11th

On January 6th-7th I had 9.6 inches of snow. 

It stayed on the ground for almost two weeks. 

Outside of that stretch the temps were up and down a lot during the winter with a few other lighter snow events and a few moderate to heavy rain events.

Does anyone have memories about the 87/88 winter?

The epic southern slider snowstorm of 1988 is my #1 favorite snow of all time. All snow, no mixing at all, no slop on the ground. Everything that fell stuck and stayed on the ground. It was also a fairly long duration event.  It had been very cold the preceding couple of days and continued cold during the storm. The high that day even in the Nashville heat island was 23!  Snow stuck around due to the cold for several days. The rest of the winter was pretty average. If we could get a southern slider like 1988 every couple of years I'd be much happier with our winters. :)

86-87 was a moderate/strong Nino that continued into 1987-1988. 

December of 1987 had several days in the mid to upper 60s here. Multiple days with thunderstorms. Lots of rain from the day before Christmas until almost New Years.  There were a couple of cold days in the month with some snow showers.

On January 3rd-4th 1988 I had two inches of snow here with an arctic frontal passage. Temps  got cold, with highs generally in the 20s and 30s and stayed there for 11 of the next 12 days. I had a low of 2 degrees on January 11th

On January 6th-7th I had 9.6 inches of snow. 

It stayed on the ground for almost two weeks. 

Outside of that stretch the temps were up and down a lot during the winter with a few other lighter snow events and a few moderate to heavy rain events.

The epic southern slider snowstorm of 1988 is my #1 favorite snow of all time. All snow, no mixing at all, no slop on the ground. Everything that fell stuck and stayed on the ground. It was also a fairly long duration event.  It had been very cold the preceding couple of days and continued cold during the storm. The high that day even in the Nashville heat island was 23!  Snow stuck around due to the cold for several days. The rest of the winter was pretty average. If we could get a southern slider like 1988 every couple of years I'd be much happier with our winters. :)

Impressive memories and record keeping guys!  I sometimes struggle to remember what happened last month, much less 30 years ago lol.

I'm the same stove. However, I think big events from our formative years tend to stand out. For me as a long time fan of weather 85, 88, and 93 are the winter examples. I was too young to remember the great years of the late 70s and by the time we got to 96 and 03 I was fully into the rigors of adulthood. Actually, 96 should have been epic for me. As a senior in college I had just gotten engaged to my wife, was busy with multiple interviews for my first job, and trying to squeeze in plenty of last minute college fun. Because of all that I don't remember much about that year. :drunk:  Of course, that was before all of this technology that we have now.

Been hanging-out in Knoxvegas today watching UT on the hard court...Vols managed to squeak out a win.  TSU came to play.  A Tennessee Valley match-up if you will.  Great discussion during the last few days.  From chickens to gardens to past snowstorms to an upcoming pattern that looks interesting to say the least.  Strong work.  Stove, I am a fan of the siren.  Also, my garlic is doing well.  You inspired me!  Have a 4x8' bed full of it.  I am going to get back to starting seeds this spring.  We lost a great feed store that had a ton of variety in terms of peppers and tomatoes.  So, this year...back to growing my own stuff.  Time to dig out the garage lights, full spectrum bulbs, and heated grow mat.  Hoping this pattern produces some cold and/or snow.  Coach B, my wood stove has been sitting idle for a few weeks.  Bout ready to crank it back up!  Here's to a great New Year, all.  To infinity and beyond!

Welcome to the board and esp Tenn Valley forum! This is a smaller subforum which makes it more accessible and friendly. Maybe we can get some weather to talk about...

Good evening, everyone. I'm a new poster on this board. I'm a big weather enthusiast and have been interested in the weather since I was a little kid. I hope to get to know everyone here and enjoy talking with other fellow weather geeks, lol. :)

Back to banter: I was in the Plains during the 87-88 Nino and it played out similar there. Always nice when that is the case upstream? KC got slammed with one big December snow like this year. It got mild and then seasonably cold. 82-83 and 97-98 had opportunities too.

I will try to post in the forecast thread(s). Love the Energy Jeff character! Maybe something good will happen to turn off the cliff diving skulls, lol. Also looking fwd to some major NYE football. Everybody have a safe and happy New Year!!

Welcome to the board and esp Tenn Valley forum! This is a smaller subforum which makes it more accessible and friendly. Maybe we can get some weather to talk about...

Back to banter: I was in the Plains during the 87-88 Nino and it played out similar there. Always nice when that is the case upstream? KC got slammed with one big December snow like this year. It got mild and then seasonably cold. 82-83 and 97-98 had opportunities too.

I will try to post in the forecast thread(s). Glad Tennessee won their bowl! Also looking fwd to some major NYE football. Everybody have a safe and happy New Year!!

I have a question. Is the winter thread only for posting observations?

Good evening, everyone. I'm a new poster on this board. I'm a big weather enthusiast and have been interested in the weather since I was a little kid. I hope to get to know everyone here and enjoy talking with other fellow weather geeks, lol. :)

Hey Runman,  Dave here, from Johnson City, TN.  I grew up just north of Nashville.  I don't know how I missed your post from the 21st!  Sorry about that and thanks for posting.  Look forward to getting to know you and I hope you feel welcome in our subforum.  It's always good to have another east Tennessean.

Generally speaking, our forums are labeled.  The forums at the top are typically the ones that have more activity.  Sometimes a moderator will "pin" a thread, making it easier to find.  The "banter" forum is a place you can talk about just about anything not necessarily weather related.  We usually have an  "obs" thread where you can post current observations and also a "Winter " thread where we usually talk about the upcoming pattern.  If a storm is on the horizon, someone will typically start a specific storm thread to discuss that storm.  

Here is a link to the page that discusses more specific "rules"  

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I would also encourage you to poke around the pinned thread which is filled with useful weather links.  There is a TON of information there.

Once again, welcome to our forum and I hope you have a Happy New Year!  We look forward to your posts...

Dave

Archived