• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Nice pics- it reminds me of snowshoeing at Blue Lake/Poudre Canyon, where I measured 7 feet of snow at the parking lot a few years back.

It has been a boring pattern, but thankfully it has looked a lot like winter. In fact, I have had snow on the ground in the shade since Dec. 15th-- I guess that is 20 days now. Looks like the main headline this week will be the arctic cool-down on Friday to Monday possibly. I don't think the snow system on Thursday will a very big deal. The 00z GFS predicts 1-3" east of Denver/east of I-25, but QPF details have been somewhat inconsistent from run to run.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a boring pattern around here as well, except with strong inversions in place over most western MT valleys.  Rather warm air aloft but down here we've dropped below -10F two nights in a row.  Looks like a couple more systems will be moving through this week.  Picked up a dusting each of the past two days to freshen up the landscape a bit, but really it didn't need much freshening up to begin with, since we haven't been above freezing in like a month lol.

So, high-end advisory amounts for many. This would merit a couple hundred posts in the New England subforum, but here?  2.

We had an inch this morning, then it melted. More to come hopefully. Was thinking about dusting off my bike this weekend but guess not.

True for the Lakes/Midwest as well.  But, over 60% of those posts would be arguments over IMBY'ism, wish casting, or weenies.  :)   

Boring weather pattern up here... cold front this weekend looks like weaksauce to me.  I miss December, bring back the eastern US super ridge.  just kidding, sorta :)

Still have a foot of powdery snowpack IMBY, at least, even though it hasn't snowed in years.  Err, like a week and a half.

So true. Or comments about the anatomy of other posters.  :weenie:

Anyway, all the 00Z models seem to be busting this thing (<2") save for down around Monument/COS. Dusting here after the melting earlier. Too bad, we'll see.

Snow was not a bust here. We easily have 4 to 5" across town.

I was not on the internet much recently- my power supply for my laptop broke on Sunday. I had been running on battery for some of my internet activity this week. My battery almost ran out yesterday and today. Now I have a new power supply. I think my area got 5.5" - 6.0" yesterday. It snowed from 5:00 or 6:00 Thursday, the heavier snow was in the middle of the night (like usual) and continued with even a few flakes at midnight last night. I wonder if we can make it to 40 or 45 days with at least 1" of snowcover at Fort Collins-CSU. not sure.

S3EE7Sq.jpg

From the Missoula NWS AFD... lol they're clearly exasperated with our pattern:

Saturday afternoon: yet another system is expected to move across
the region, however snow levels appear to rise above many area
valleys. One caveat to this scenario is that some valleys may
develop and maintain temperature inversions as snow levels rise,
so light freezing rain will become a threat and result in...you
guessed it...hazardous winter travel conditions.

A higher threat for widespread freezing rain, later changing to
mostly snow, arrives over the Northern Rockies Monday evening
through midday Tuesday. Seriously, there is so little change in
the current pattern over the region that hazardous driving
conditions due to a combination of freezing rain and snow will be
present nearly every overnight period through the end of next
week.

From the Missoula NWS AFD... lol they're clearly exasperated with our pattern:

Saturday afternoon: yet another system is expected to move across

the region, however snow levels appear to rise above many area

valleys. One caveat to this scenario is that some valleys may

develop and maintain temperature inversions as snow levels rise,

so light freezing rain will become a threat and result in...you

guessed it...hazardous winter travel conditions.

A higher threat for widespread freezing rain, later changing to

mostly snow, arrives over the Northern Rockies Monday evening

through midday Tuesday. Seriously, there is so little change in

the current pattern over the region that hazardous driving

conditions due to a combination of freezing rain and snow will be

present nearly every overnight period through the end of next

week.

Hmmm...isn't it supposed to be wintry in DJF in this part of the world??  The NWS makes it sound like it's unusual to have persistent wintry weather in northern MT.  It's January, after all. :)

And we spend all this time bickering about 2" of snow??  Here are a couple of pictures from snowshoeing at Bierstadt Lake, RMNP. Also, the snow depth was 32" at Bear Lake RMNP. Possibly 60-80mph wind gusts picking up the snow on Long's Peak. Note: I had some 30-40mph wind gusts at Bierstadt Lake parking lot and on the frozen lake (away from the trees.)

cjYZuI3.jpg

Dhg6VAB.jpg

gQ6zBVP.jpg

Hmmm...isn't it supposed to be wintry in DJF in this part of the world??  The NWS makes it sound like it's unusual to have persistent wintry weather in northern MT.  It's January, after all. :)

Lol, yeah, who knows.  Admittedly, this climate can drive 'normal' people batty.  We don't get as cold as the rest of the state, but we don't get warming chinooks either, and it can be overcast with on and off flizzards/light snow for weeks on end.  The last time I saw a clear blue sky was probably November lol.  I love it though.

Funny localized (seems south half of Denver metro area only) gusty NW winds the past 2 hours, last hour was gusting to 36 at KAPA in the middle of a somewhat uncomfortable bike ride. Not so hot for Peyton's passing, but might have helped the last minute FG for the Broncos. Wasn't predicted and not even mentioned in the BOU AFD.

The weather pattern up here is a couple degrees too warm.  Bunch of wintry mix sloppy crap down here in the valley expected this week.  Some classic Montana -30s would be nice. :)

On the other hand, all the wintry mix events forecasted thus far have turned out to be wet snowfalls, mainly.  It's hard to get significant amounts of non-snow precip around here.  We're good at winter lol.

OK, with our current boring (but typical) pattern, I just HAD to post this, because... well, you don't see this very often and it's kind of like a dream setup. Get ready.

Point forecast for the spine of the Blue Ridge in North Central VA:

Friday
Snow, mainly after 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. East wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after 1am. Low around 19. Windy, with a northeast wind 17 to 22 mph increasing to 24 to 29 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 25. Windy, with a north wind 25 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 1am. Widespread blowing snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Windy, with a north wind 21 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Add 'em up... not including Sat night, the verbatim totals are 29 to 43 inches. Most probable amount for this area from NWS LWX is 36 inches. That's about a year's worth of snow in 2 days!!! And DCA is forecast to get around 2 feet... 2 years' worth in 48 hours.

Would love to be storm chasing there this weekend.

Archived