Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Vendor forecast thread

famartin

20 hours ago, JTA66 said:

A quick follow up to the post above...

Looks like their summer forecast is a continuation of the May-July period -- temps slightly above average with near normal precip. The big heat looks to stay out west over the Rockies. Above normal precip to our west/southwest (Ohio Valley region), this would lead to below average temps there.

All in all, I could live with this. Not a fan of those summers where the AC runs weeks on end.

Yeah, I can deal with that. Honestly, it feels like winter just ended and here we are in May. The next couple days will get a little warm but a cool down over the weekend extending into next week...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest ideas from Accuwx on the summer...

Temps +2-3 above avg. While there may be more 90F+ days than last summer, there should be fewer 70F+ overnight mins.

Precip below avg.

Isolated serve with mod to high risk areas off to our south and west.

• 4 months later...

1st early high level winter forecast from the folks at WeatherBell show a slow start to winter but averaging only slightly above normal temps with snowfall in our area at 125% of normal

August 2019

• Plenty of potential for a severe winter.
  • East will have to overcome early warmth.
  • SST analogs are amazingly close to a blend of 2013-14 and 2014-15.
  • Warm northeastern Pacific and cooler Nino1+2 usually a great cold signal.
  • Snowfall should be generous.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The well respected MET - JB from WB is on board the snow and ice train for north of the mason dixon line with the next event (16th-18th) since last Saturday. He is still not getting into accumulation but sees a Miller B storm running to the lakes with a secondary popping off the coast....and then some strong to near record cold to follow by the pre-Christmas weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

From JB today after 12z runs for the period before doom and gloom becomes full throated mid month!!

"But there is a real chance here that the storm on the weekend does exit to the south and it does snow all the way to the coast. No longer are there just pressing height falls on the model. And this is what I am talking about, If you have different mass considerations, the movement of the mass, being lifted in one place, sinking n another, will bend the baroclinic ribbon, If you then focus the height fall center where the bend occurs you are in business, Truth be told, the 500 mb the Euro has is for a midwest to northeast snowstorm, it is still has to get some warm air out of the way, but they run at least makes 2 points. 1) it is not so far fetched that before the doom and gloom after day 10, there are winter threats and 2 ) Remember these are mathematical representations of a system that can not be tamed by men. Whether it happens or not, The 12z run while more bullish is likely not through correcting as it is desperate to try to string it out at the end, but that may be a function a feedback, You roll an upper low through the east like this and here is the problem btw the stringing out at the end and you probably are going to see it snow to the coast from the Delmarva north

Of course the GFS had a nice little twist too it in the longer term And before that the GEFS jumps on a clipper but has nothing behind it and huge fight ensues with the Euro having less with the clipper and a cutter behind it, I like the middle. More clipper to push the cold, then a more southern track of the storm from Texas to the Va Capes. I think that storm will be further southeast, near the Va coast next week We'll see In the meantime there is room before the doom and gloom for some fun and games"

• Like 1

From JB after the 12z runs

"The purpose of such extensive discussion on this is not to get into a fight over snow in central park, though I do think it will snow there and if I had to pick a number for snow by Mon am, there it would be 3. Its to get out in front of this, at the risk of being wrong, to explain why modeling is not the end-all to a problem, Say what you want, but there was no bowling ball rolling through with any hope a couple of days ago and this period Jan 5-12 has been on my radar for a while now. I can't help what happened before, and I see what is coming after, but in the meantime, there will be some triumphs with this storm as well as trauma. But this is not a backyard snow argument, for until the meteorology is settled the snow result is not clear, but with that warm water off the east coast, and the upper low coming right at it, I believe this low winds up between Cape May and Va beach, not north of that. As said, you may be 38 over 33 and raining and then bingo, the big wet flakes start coming down. The clipper on the euro spread snow further south than previous runs, and then next storm is further south. While the worst case ( lets say no snow south of I80 in the east and I 70 in the Ohio valley) is on the table, so is the best case as described in the earlier idea."

AccuWx updated their forecast for the remainder of winter. No real surprises -- overall above average temps and precip for our region (and Jan remains a dumpster fire). But they do have Feb averaging a degree below normal with above average precip, so there is some hope. No mention of March. I suppose the forecast is for met winter only. 

• 2 years later...

Had to go back several pages to find this thread. Anyway...

Paul Pastelok at Accuwx issued his summer outlook on 4/26. No real surprises, another summer of temps averaging +2 to +3 above normal. He also thinks it will be a wet summer for us with plenty of chances for severe -- we could maintain out new status as "tornado ally".

The other thing that stood out is the west will continue experiencing high heat and drought conditions.

Only 144 days until fall!

• Weenie 1

57 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Had to go back several pages to find this thread. Anyway...

Paul Pastelok at Accuwx issued his summer outlook on 4/26. No real surprises, another summer of temps averaging +2 to +3 above normal. He also thinks it will be a wet summer for us with plenty of chances for severe -- we could maintain out new status as "tornado ally".

The other thing that stood out is the west will continue experiencing high heat and drought conditions.

Only 144 days until fall!

Agree with the big severe threat this spring. When the hot weather finally gets it's azz moving from the tropics and gets north there will be a clash with this conveyor belt of cold from Canada pattern we have in place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the above forecast for summer 2022...

Still looking like +2 to +3 above average temps for the I-95 corridor from Boston down to DC with above average precipitation.

The western plains/Rockies foothills are looking like the big winners for scorching heat this summer. 

On 5/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, JTA66 said:

Just a quick update on the above forecast for summer 2022...

Still looking like +2 to +3 above average temps for the I-95 corridor from Boston down to DC with above average precipitation.

The western plains/Rockies foothills are looking like the big winners for scorching heat this summer. 

I think we are doing decently well as far as heat and almost June. Clouds,rain,,tons of wind, bangs of thunder.Fall right around the block....almost under 100.

df.jpg

• Weenie 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 6:49 AM, Birds~69 said:

DT says "winter come hinter" and looks to be highly favorable pattern developing especially considering the deep trough and strong jets developing through the country. Anybody following JB and LC these days?