Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Save your breath man, we've got alot of weenies in the GTA lol and he aint the only one. Cant blame him! At some point we all over rationalize just like I did earlier today. Oh well.

Have a safe trip man! Hope to see you back in the city ;)

Not sure how I've been a weenie.

I went with the GFS & Euro over the NAM & GEM. I've always been Euro > GFS > GEM >>>> NAM. We all have our models that we prefer. I wasn't sold on the intense NW shift. Had my doubts that the cold air would scour out as quickly as the models suggested, given how cold it has been.

Many times I have busted low, so I wouldn't call myself a weenie by any means.  :huh:

Not much to say from here other than crushjob. Biggest snowfall I witnessed. Im guess 13-15 inches. Hard to tell though. Wind is going good right now. I gave up on the driveway. Going to enjoy this one.

Never heard of totals that big in the INDY area like ever. Congrats!!

Wild ride here. Spent the last while outside. After an hour of mixed SN/PL/ZR all of the sudden an intense burst of high end SN maybe +SN for a few minutes. This lasted about half an hour, now back to ZR/IP mix. Front yard thermometer still around 30F.

Remeasured and we're at 9.5cm accumulation, including PL mixed in and a touch of rain.

Bit of an overperformer around here. 

Wild ride here. Spent the last while outside. After an hour of mixed SN/PL/ZR all of the sudden an intense burst of high end SN maybe +SN for a few minutes. This lasted about half an hour, now back to ZR/IP mix. Front yard thermometer still around 30F.

Remeasured and we're at 9.5cm accumulation, including PL mixed in and a touch of rain.

Bit of an overperformer around here. 

Are we going to get more precip overnight?

My last measurement was around 9", but moderate snow was continuing to fall. Based on this report, it's safe to say that we probably did get about the double digit mark. 

0948 PM HEAVY SNOW WHEATFIELD 41.19N 87.05W
01/05/2014 M10.5 INCH JASPER IN TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL SINCE 430AM SUNDAY.

Also, drifts are seemingly exceeding 4 feet in rural areas. Seems about right. I have a 3+ footer blocking my back door right now. 

1015 PM HEAVY SNOW MOUNT AYR 40.95N 87.30W
01/05/2014 M10.4 INCH NEWTON IN TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL. SNOW DRIFTS UP TO 49 INCHES DEEP. CONTINUED
NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN BLOWING SNOW.

Same here. I'd say 3-4" has fallen since midnight. It looks like one last band of heavy snow is set to move in before it changes to rain in the next hour or two.

Was out and about downtown T.O around Christie Pits and have had light ZR since 8 pm. or so. Odd ice pellet and wet flake here and there but my temp. has been - 0.5 degrees celsiius  whole time and still is. Not sure it will go up much. It is slippery, icy out there.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  

1137 PM EST SUN JAN 05 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1129 PM SNOW TIPTON 40.28N 86.04W  

01/05/2014 E15.0 INCH TIPTON IN TRAINED SPOTTER  

Impressive precip shield hitting ON. Would love to be up there right now and into the morning. Work tomorrow sadly so can't go shoot video. Blizzard warnings may be needed in Wellington, Huron-Perth and Grey-Bruce.

KUU8Pqn.png

Man, it would be great if some of that fell as snow in Toronto. However, the temperature is rising a bit now...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA  

1123 PM EST SUN JAN 05 2014  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1119 PM HEAVY SNOW 2 SW NORTH WEBSTER 41.31N 85.72W  

01/05/2014 M16.0 INCH KOSCIUSKO IN NWS EMPLOYEE  

Was out and about downtown T.O around Christie Pits and have had light ZR since 8 pm. or so. Odd ice pellet and wet flake here and there but my temp. has been - 0.5 degrees celsiius whole time and still is. Not sure it will go up much. It is slippery, icy out there.

It's just mainly rain currently by Lake Ontario. I guess the rain-freezing rain line is along Dundas or College St. Sometimes you can get very different precip types within the downtown core.

Archived