SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just travelled home from visiting family in PA for two weeks. It was pretty cool to be traveling in a wintry snow covered scene for the entire 8 hour drive.

Areas with Least amount of snow: Pittsburgh and east of Toledo

Areas with Most amount of snow: Cleveland area and my area :)

I came home to well over a foot of snow...most of which fell over Christmas week and then melted some, so it was compacted and layered in ice...then a fresh few inches from this week.

Cleveland by far had the most fresh snow, from the lake effect/enhancement yesterday.

It was just a neat, beautiful trip home. So glad to be home safe...and excited by what the latest NAM shows. It looks like some fresh snow in many areas this weekend.

This has been overlooked due to the weekend storm and arctic outbreak...but there were some crazy temperature swings in MN today.  

Willmar, MN was -17 at 9:40 PM last night, and is 32 at 9:40 PM tonight.  A 49-degree increase in 24 hours.  Tomorrow night, they may be back down to -20 again...which would be a 52-degree drop in 24 hours.  

Fun stuff. :)

EDIT:  even crazier in Minot ND.  They were -21 at 9 AM yesterday, and 41 at 11 AM today.  A 62-degree increase in 26 hours.   

Extended looks mild...maybe one cold shot or so, but going to feel nice compared to what we have now.  Heating bills get a break.

+1

I'll take seasonal averages at this point. Never been so excited to see 30s in the forecast. lol

It is currently pouring lake effect snow here. The visibility has been .25 miles or less much of the morning. The only thing holding it back from being an official blizzard is the wind. It is really hard to tell how much new snow we have picked up, so I will say "several" new inches. :P

Same here.  Don't know how anyone could realistically measure this.

I'd watch out for some glazing potential farther north with that system on the 10th-11th.  Synoptic setup is not favorable for icing but this period of extreme temps might mean that some icing could occur even with 2m temps a little above freezing.

Ground/soil temps are gonna be in the basement

The local area might make a run for snowiest January on record. We're only 6.5" short with much of the month left to play with. At the very least we should get into second or third place. 

(1) 1999: 25.5"

(2) 1978: 20.5" 

(3) 1927/1979: 20.0"

(4) 1982: 19.5"

(5) 2014: 19.0"

Archived