SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had mood flakes off and on all day. It's been one of those days that if you don't have access to outdoors, but could just occasionally glance out a window, you would swear that there would be some good accumulations. However, I have to settle for 0.2".

We had flakes flying all day here but just a T, then picked up 0.1" dusting this evening.

Yeah...it looks a lot better around here.  We really had thin snow cover through that cold wave.

Ours was very deep and gorgeous..but it was too cold to enjoy it from anywhere other than a window. As soon as it got comfortable enough to go out, the snow lost its pristine look and is now mangy hardpacked snice. An inch or two would go a long way in freshening it up, but nowhere NEAR as deep.

Did the super clipper whiff the Alpena area? That's an ugly looking screwhole. I guess personally things could be worse.

According to the CoCoRaHS reports, the area got under 6". More like under 3".

Maybe Bo can confirm which areas have missed out on those larger snowfalls.

Geos-

You ice fishing on that pond?

Gorgeous day...mid teens and bluebird skies...with all the fresh snow lately, tons of light getting into the house with the reflection.   I have noticed something today in that i'm getting some dripping off the roof, even with such cold temps.  Can tell the Jan sun is starting to have a little more strength.  

Geos-

You ice fishing on that pond?

Gorgeous day...mid teens and bluebird skies...with all the fresh snow lately, tons of light getting into the house with the reflection.   I have noticed something today in that i'm getting some dripping off the roof, even with such cold temps.  Can tell the Jan sun is starting to have a little more strength.  

Haha - I could!

Even with the extreme cold last week the small inflow of ground water keeps a small area ice free.

Almost lost all the ice on it when it warmed last weekend.

I've noticed snow will quickly melt off the roof above 18° or so. Will gain ~30 minutes of daylight between now and the 31st.

Great dendrite pics geos!

As expected, the much overdue boring stretch appears to be incoming now that I start vacation lol.

Looks like many chances for snow showers in the coming week, nothing fancy though. Wondering if we can stir up something along the arctic front Sunday night?

Anyway..snow nowhere near as deep as it was earlier in the month, but it looks fresh again

3769-800.jpg

0.4" through 6:00pm for ORD today...which brings the season total to 35.8" (20.4" above normal thru Jan 17). Last year on this date...the season total stood at 1.3".  Just a little bit of a nice turnaround.

Wow. DTW wasnt shutout like ORD early last winter, but still....thru 4pm today....42.7" on the season vs 11.6" last year on this date.

BTW...it has been snowing lightly all evening and we have picked up a light dusting (0.1"), and it is turning sharply colder.

Wow. DTW wasnt shutout like ORD early last winter, but still....thru 4pm today....42.7" on the season vs 11.6" last year on this date.

BTW...it has been snowing lightly all evening and we have picked up a light dusting (0.1"), and it is turning sharply colder.

It really didn't get much better the rest of January, as the season total was 3.5" for ORD at the end of month. Alek was licking his chops for a least snowiest winter on record. And then February and March happened. :D

Cloudy, cold day with flakes flying that wont amount to much. Have an interesting yet odd observation about optical illusions and snow lol. I have noticed in some spots the snow actually looks LESS deep than it is because the old snow had sort of been eaten away at the edges so its deeper in the middle of any given lawn than near the grass/cement line. So any freshly snowblown snow will give the illusion the snow is LESS deep than it is. In other spots the snow looks MORE deep than it is because of the old snowbanks. Obviously the odd state of the old crusty snowpack, not to mention shoveling vs snowblowing, all plays a part...but just an observation on a quiet weather day as the action misses us this time.

Through January 18th...we have had...43 days with snow falling....29 days with measurable snow falling...47 days with a T or more of snow on the ground....35 days with 1"+ snow on the ground

Archived