• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

Is the lake not having much effect anymore?

Going to be a nasty cold spring (although summer could be great) if the cold continues to pour down jan/feb/mar and robs the lake of all its heat.

Not when there's an offshore flow. Right down by the lake there seems to be an influence all the time. More air mixing down there. A couple miles inland the air got pretty calm last night.

Winds are starting to turn SE now.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flurry/sleet action...bring on the "thaw"....

speaking of which...even all the sewer drains are glaciated over ATM...also, numerous of them are covered by monster piles of street cleared snow...Water will channel it's way into them one way or another eventually, but as this process is unfolding there could be some additional ponding on roadways under any moderate rainfall over the next few days

Yeah, this has just been an amazing past week. It is extremely rare for it to stay THIS white for so long, and in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen it this way before. 1999 is debatable and definitely seemed deeper in my neck of the woods, but I was even younger than you and the scenes around the area right now seem much more wintery in general...not just deep snow.

Normally in the city, after a day or two the snow starts to look a bit crappy in most areas because of all the cars splashing slush onto it, or people shoveling grey snow from the street near the sidewalk, but it was so cold in the wake of the last storm that not only did it all freeze over solid before anyone had the chance to mess it up, the blowing snow afterwards for days just continued to keep everything pure white.

I was nowhere near old enough to drive back in 1999 but the state of the roads these past few days is unlike anything I can EVER remember. The interstates still iced over and snowy, side roads snowpacked and people getting stuck days after the storm...just truly something to take in and remember, because it might be a long time before we experience something like this again.

You hit the nail on the head. The actual anow depth was a bit mote in 1999, ans we had decent depths in feb 2011 too. But the scenes in general this week have been crazy.

If we had any posters from Alpena, they should have all rights to the complaint thread. I believe Alpena has been much below average for several years in a row now.

I'm guessing they get a lot of snow from synoptic systems. Not really the right area for LES.

Up to 30° here with a little freezing drizzle.

If we had any posters from Alpena, they should have all rights to the complaint thread. I believe Alpena has been much below average for several years in a row now.

Three out of the last four winters, previous to the current one, have been clunkers for Alpena for sure. But 2008-09 was a big one. Here's their season totals since 2000-01.

Normal season snowfall for APN: 85.5"

2000-01: 105.9"

2001-02: 89.0"

2002-03: 81.5"

2003-04: 101.3"

2004-05: 101.3"

2005-06: 84.6"

2006-07: 81.5"

2007-08: 73.9"

2008-09: 122.4"

2009-10: 42.0"

2010-11: 86.4"

2011-12: 49.7"

2012-13: 44.9"

If u love winter and wanted to buy a second home/cottage...that is not the area to buy. Gaylord to Alpena an hour drive is night and day.

We had 0.7" of snow overnight both here and DTW. we actually both sit at exactly 39.2" on the season, WAY above normal to date. We have a deep, dense snowpack in place, and here comes the fog then the rain. It will be very interesting these next 24-36 hours to see how much rain we get, how warm we get, how much snow we lose and how dense the snowpack gets.

Archived