Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that it's Jan 8th this makes the 6th day this month with subzero temps.  Had 9 in Dec, so up to 15 already for the season.  Had 3 or 4 for the last two winters as a whole combined.

15 of them here since Dec 1

this is scary for first week of Jan:

DPTR FM NORMAL: -16.8F

Almost up to 10°. Lot more people out and about today, especially with most schools open.

GGEM shows some Clippers for next week.

Only hovering around 0F here...very slow to warm up even with full sunshine.

Yet to have more than 5 hours sleep in a row since Dec 30th. Have been running on the old 6 hour up 2 hour nap for the entire time. Starting to catch up with me but the work load has ben incredible for me and the crew. Moved 150cuyds of snow from a Tim Horton's last night with the wheel loader and dump truck last night. Have many piles to move and asphalt to find. All in all, in great shape and all my lots are ready for salt today and the next 12" storm. :)

I saw that Pittburgh set a record low yesterday of -7F...however...their high (warm sector of the storm) in the early morning hours was 50F!!! How crazy is that?

yeah it was 50 degrees at one AM and all the sudden it started pour. The rain was extremely heavy, I wake up in the morning and we had an inch on the ground.

Not looking forward to the rain this weekend. Not that I think it will destroy the snowpack, I just wish there were no dents placed upon it. Its so beautiful...THIS is what I enjoy about winter. The snow is crunchy and settled to a deep dense powder. The streets still caked with an icy crunch. Reminds me of when I go up to Paradise!

3728-800.jpg

3729-800.jpg

3730-800.jpg

3731-800.jpg

3732-800.jpg

3733-800.jpg

3734-800.jpg

3735-800.jpg

3736-800.jpg

Not looking forward to the rain this weekend. Not that I think it will destroy the snowpack, I just wish there were no dents placed upon it. Its so beautiful...THIS is what I enjoy about winter. The snow is crunchy and settled to a deep dense powder. The streets still caked with an icy crunch. Reminds me of when I go up to Paradise!

3728-800.jpg

3729-800.jpg

3730-800.jpg

3731-800.jpg

3732-800.jpg

3733-800.jpg

3734-800.jpg

3735-800.jpg

3736-800.jpg

Subzero temps are the best friend that snow can have lol. :snowman:

These are the most severe winter weather conditions in my memory. For the 2nd straight day, my normally 7-10 commute took 30+ minutes as traffic crawled at 15mph on the ice laden tundra that used to be a major street. Of course, the massive snowbanks that are everywhere made for a calming sight during the white knuckle commute. Although the snow depth is a little lower than the peak depth in 1999, I would argue that the winter scenes to the "naked eye" are probably the deepest looking snow I can ever remember for here. Perhaps its because my memory of 1999 is a bit foggy outside of the general deep snow (I was 15 at the time), or perhaps its since the current snow is a product of back-to-back large snowstorms (11.6" and 10.3") as opposed to 1999s big storm of 12" followed by a parade of 2-4" snows, this years 2 big storms making the plowed snow all the more impressive. The drifting of snow has been crazy as its been nonstop. The snow has a water content of about 1.7" so its a packed powder for sure. My moms cousin lives in Maybee, a rural town in Monroe county (about halfway between Detroit and Toledo) and they are basically snowbound with the country drifing. She said the mayor said only emergency situations will be allowed for travel in or out of Maybee, otherwise stay inside until they can clear the town of the massive drifting.

Detroits record books are now beseiged by 2014 for the first week of January. After just missing the record snow by a measly 0.6" on January 1st, Detroit broke records for record snow (10.2") on the 5th, record low on the 6th (-14F), record low on the 7th (-14F) and should establish a new record cold max for the 7th, though the high may very well be set at 11pm.

Its also crazy to think that at 38.5" of snow, we are but 4 inches away from average for the ENTIRE SEASON..and the season is statistically only about 30% over.

Few pics from the tundra this morning. I normally hate snowblown snow, but when its deep like this it can look cool.

Yeah, this has just been an amazing past week. It is extremely rare for it to stay THIS white for so long, and in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen it this way before. 1999 is debatable and definitely seemed deeper in my neck of the woods, but I was even younger than you and the scenes around the area right now seem much more wintery in general...not just deep snow.

Normally in the city, after a day or two the snow starts to look a bit crappy in most areas because of all the cars splashing slush onto it, or people shoveling grey snow from the street near the sidewalk, but it was so cold in the wake of the last storm that not only did it all freeze over solid before anyone had the chance to mess it up, the blowing snow afterwards for days just continued to keep everything pure white.

I was nowhere near old enough to drive back in 1999 but the state of the roads these past few days is unlike anything I can EVER remember. The interstates still iced over and snowy, side roads snowpacked and people getting stuck days after the storm...just truly something to take in and remember, because it might be a long time before we experience something like this again.

Archived