joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Euro! Thank you! 

KDTW

SAT 06Z 14-DEC  21.7    10.2    1028    12.6      94    0.01     551     529    
SAT 12Z 14-DEC  22.0    13.9    1026    12.5      90    0.03     549     529    
SAT 18Z 14-DEC  28.4    23.7    1020    17.8      97    0.08     546     531    
SUN 00Z 15-DEC  28.0    25.8    1013    22.1      99    0.11     543     532    
SUN 06Z 15-DEC  27.7    26.0    1010    22.4      92    0.06     540     532  

And THANK YOU! 

Might have to go down to 1-3" this year! LOL

I would be a little cautious of the Euro's depiction, it takes the southern stream vort from California to Alabama in 48 hours, that is extremely fast and by far the fastest of all models.

Remember back in the day when the Euro tended to hold vorts back in the southwest for too long...

Uccellini says that by the end of 2014, the computing power of the GFS is set to increase by as much as 10 times its current level. At that time, the GFS will be able to run at a much higher resolution, identifying subtle, previously undetected details in the atmosphere that can have a big impact on what the weather will be like in the next few days.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/05/15/weather-model-upgrade/2161467/

Remember back in the day when the Euro tended to hold vorts back in the southwest for too long...

Yeah, I mean the southern stream will be moving decently quick due to an upstream kicker but the Euro is unrealistically too fast with the pattern. I do admit though the Pacific upon initialization is a mess and models are going to have problems for a couple model cycles trying to figure out what is what there.

Uccellini says that by the end of 2014, the computing power of the GFS is set to increase by as much as 10 times its current level. At that time, the GFS will be able to run at a much higher resolution, identifying subtle, previously undetected details in the atmosphere that can have a big impact on what the weather will be like in the next few days.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/05/15/weather-model-upgrade/2161467/

I wonder if they're completely overhauling the old GFS. I know it was written in XLF90, but I don't even think that language is relevant today at all....

Yeah, I mean the southern stream will be moving decently quick due to an upstream kicker but the Euro is unrealistically too fast with the pattern. I do admit though the Pacific upon initialization is a mess and models are going to have problems for a couple model cycles trying to figure out what is what there.

Tis painful to watch IMO...on a brighter note....since this has the chance, at least via the current models, to affect the EC and all the major population hubs....there is a chance for some data sampling flights in the pacific over the next few days...

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

201 PM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

VALID DEC 10/1200 UTC THRU DEC 14/0000 UTC

...PROGRESSIVE TROUGH ARRIVING ON THE WEST COAST DAY 2...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z CANADIAN WITH 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN

CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

A PROGRESSIVE TROUGH OF SHORT TO MEDIUM WAVELENGTH WILL ARRIVE

ALONG THE WA/OR/NORTHERN CA COASTS BY 13/00Z. THE CHARACTER OF

THIS SYSTEM...COMBINED WITH ITS INITIAL POSITION OVER THE DATA

VOID IN THE PACIFIC...IS CAUSING SOME DIFFICULTY IN THE MODELS.

I wonder if they're completely overhauling the old GFS. I know it was written in XLF90, but I don't even think that language is relevant today at all....

The GFS was be about 3 times stronger than the Euro.... But I heard the Euro was going to get a mega boost.

Soon, forecasts will be spit out of a computer a 2 weeks in advance and be damn near perfect.... Probably another decade or so from that, the chaos theory is a pretty big hurdle.

The GFS was be about 3 times stronger than the Euro.... But I heard the Euro was going to get a mega boost.

Soon, forecasts will be spit out of a computer a 2 weeks in advance and be damn near perfect.... Probably another decade or so from that, the chaos theory is a pretty big hurdle.

Ugh, the positive is that many will lose less hair.... But seriously that would be pretty boring if you ask me...!

Ugh, the positive is that many will lose less hair.... But seriously that would be pretty boring if you ask me...!

I'm not debating how fun it will be, but if you think we aren't going to pursue this, you're wrong.

Models are pretty dead on within 3 days, after that they waiver a bit in the exact tract... You can predict a ball-park storm track 5 days out, just takes minor adjustments after that.

I would love to be able to see dry slots and rain/snow lines more effectively.

Yeah it doesn't really work like that.  Chaos theory can't really be cancelled out by computing power.  Upgrading the GFS to 4DVAR (or something similar, I think I recall dtk saying once that the way the GFS is coded it can't technically do 4DVAR) is a step in the right direction, but the data void in the Pacific, and parametrization schemes for convection, cumulus, and the boundary layer all induce error.  (Yes, some day it's theoretically possible we could run a global-scale model at 4 km and not have to parametrize convection, but we'd need something like a one-molecule grid spacing to be able to do away with the other two.  But of course, we don't have a one-molecule resolution grid ready to be input either, so you see how this problem just kind of keeps going on and on.)

Biggest change I see on the GEM and the EURO is more stream separation. There could still be good easterly conveyor belt of Atlantic moisture being fed back towards the primary, but it's going to be to the north of the lows. Keeping that northern stream low all the way up over Lk Superior isn't helpful in that regard.

Yeah it doesn't really work like that.  Chaos theory can't really be cancelled out by computing power.  Upgrading the GFS to 4DVAR (or something similar, I think I recall dtk saying once that the way the GFS is coded it can't technically do 4DVAR) is a step in the right direction, but the data void in the Pacific, and parametrization schemes for convection, cumulus, and the boundary layer all induce error.  (Yes, some day it's theoretically possible we could run a global-scale model at 4 km and not have to parametrize convection, but we'd need something like a one-molecule grid spacing to be able to do away with the other two.  But of course, we don't have a one-molecule resolution grid ready to be input either, so you see how this problem just kind of keeps going on and on.)

I think I read that the GFS itself will be retired before 2020 and a new model will take its place, I really don't see the purpose of renaming it though.

Biggest change I see on the GEM and the EURO is more stream separation. There could still be good easterly conveyor belt of Atlantic moisture being fed back towards the primary, but it's going to be to the north of the lows. Keeping that northern stream low all the way up over Lk Superior isn't helpful in that regard.

The GEM ensembles didn't look like they supported the OP.

Thank you Euro! Thank you!

KDTW

SAT 06Z 14-DEC 21.7 10.2 1028 12.6 94 0.01 551 529

SAT 12Z 14-DEC 22.0 13.9 1026 12.5 90 0.03 549 529

SAT 18Z 14-DEC 28.4 23.7 1020 17.8 97 0.08 546 531

SUN 00Z 15-DEC 28.0 25.8 1013 22.1 99 0.11 543 532

SUN 06Z 15-DEC 27.7 26.0 1010 22.4 92 0.06 540 532

And THANK YOU!

Might have to go down to 1-3" this year! LOL

I like where we sit considering this is the worst outcome of the op models. And models now showing another event just a few days later (healthy clipper?)

Is the Euro depicting any snow for Toronto? 4-6" event perhaps? DT doesn't seem to agree with the Euro.

Is the Euro depicting any snow for Toronto? 4-6" event perhaps? DT doesn't seem to agree with the Euro.

It shows about 2-4" using 12:1 snow ratios. 

The timing and phasing are KEY with this storm. With such a progressive pattern in place, we would need things to fall into align perfectly. Cold air is abundant, so as of now, that does not look to be an issue.

Got 2 more exams left, so once I'm done i'll shall look deeper into this storm and the following pattern.

Based on this, DTX is going with EURO?! atm...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
331 PM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

MIZ047>049-053>055-060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-112045-
MIDLAND-BAY-HURON-SAGINAW-TUSCOLA-SANILAC-SHIAWASSEE-GENESEE-LAPEER-
ST. CLAIR-LIVINGSTON-OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-
331 PM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST
MICHIGAN.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT

AN ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL BRING FRIGID TEMPERATURES TO SOUTHEASTERN
MICHIGAN TONIGHT. WIND CHILLS ARE EXPECTED TO DROP BETWEEN 0 AND
5 DEGREES BELOW ZERO FOR MUCH OF SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

A WEAK CLIPPER SYSTEM WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING
SNOWFALL WEDNESDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS
OF 1 INCH WILL BE POSSIBLE SOUTH OF I-69.

DANGEROUSLY COLD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO PERSIST THROUGH THE
MIDWEEK PERIOD. THE COLDEST WIND CHILLS ARE EXPECTED WEDNESDAY
NIGHT WITH VALUES DROPPING BETWEEN 10 AND 15 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.
WIND CHILLS DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS OF BOTH WEDNESDAY AND
THURSDAY ARE EXPECTED TO REACH THE SINGLE DIGITS ABOVE ZERO.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL EJECT FROM TEXAS INTO THE OHIO VALLEY
ON FRIDAY NIGHT. SNOWFALL OF 3-5 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS
SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN FROM FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY. WHILE
THE TRACK OF THIS STORM IS STILL UNCERTAIN, SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL
IS POSSIBLE.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION WILL NOT BE NEEDED TODAY AND TONIGHT.

$

Hm, meaning higher accumulations are possible...?

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ070&warncounty=MIC099&firewxzone=MIZ070&local_place1=&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook#.UqeByWKl7e4

AFDDTX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
405 PM EST TUE DEC 10 2013

.LONG TERM... WEDNESDAY AND BEYOND

THE NEXT MAJOR SYSTEM TO IMPACT SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN WILL BE ON FRIDAY
NIGHT AND SATURDAY AS A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS ACROSS THE OHIO
VALLEY. SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN STILL APPEARS TO BE NORTH OF THIS SYSTEM
KEEPING PRECIPITATION AS ALL SNOW. SNOW WILL BEGIN ON FRIDAY NIGHT
ACROSS THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES AND EVENTUALLY IMPACT ALL OF SOUTHEAST
MICHIGAN BY SATURDAY MORNING. HOWEVER...THERE IS STILL QUITE A BIT OF
UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE TRACK OF THE SYSTEM...QPF AMOUNTS ALONG
WITH RESULTING SNOW ACCUMULATION AMOUNTS AND LENGTH OF LINGERING
SNOW AFTER THE SYSTEM DEPARTS. EVEN WITH THIS UNCERTAINTY...FEELING
FAIRLY CONFIDENT THAT IT WILL SNOW DURING THE SATURDAY TIMEFRAME AND
HAVE BUMPED UP PRECIPITATION CHANCES TO LIKELY POPS
ACROSS ALL OF
SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. HAVE INCLUDED A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS FOR THE
AREA FOR SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY TO ACCOUNT FOR LINGERING
SHOWERS. HIGH PRESSURE RETURNS ALONG WITH VERY COLD ARCTIC AIR FOR
SUNDAY NIGHT /LOWS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS/ LASTING THROUGH MONDAY
BEFORE THE NEXT CLIPPER SYSTEM MOVES ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES ON
TUESDAY BRINGING ANOTHER CHANCE OF SNOW.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=DTX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Archived