Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid Atlantic Snow totals thread for winter 2013/14

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really tight gradient right around Balt. 20s to 30 then 50s to 60 across a small area.

Think you may be confusing the two greens. Lighter one that is most of DC is 20-30, then 30-40 just to the south of Baltimore.

Nice work Mappy!  Why is there that little dot of 30-39" in Howard County?  I feel pretty safe in saying all of HoCo is >40" except for the edges below the Fall Line as you've indicated.  I also suspect that the >50" line extends farther south in Harford County, but I can't really prove it.  

Nice work Mappy! Why is there that little dot of 30-39" in Howard County? I feel pretty safe in saying all of HoCo is >40" except for the edges below the Fall Line as you've indicated. I also suspect that the >50" line extends farther south in Harford County, but I can't really prove it.

It's a cocorahs station, reporting 35.4 as a total.

There are a couple spots in other areas like that too. Nice thing about doing a prelim map like this is to see those spots and decide if they need to be removed or not as they can make things look funky. I'll make a note of it and see if it needs to be removed.

Also, just to give you an idea on coverage... here are the data locations I have.

For example Harford County... I only have a few points to work with. The northern point is cocorahs with 60", then the one further south in the middle is a cocorahs with 45"

Obviously the more data the better, especially for those areas where there were large gaps between data locations.

MG:   Fozz has requested I get my totals in and will do so over the next day or so.

Thanks! I know you have a pretty high total for the western Balt County area, so it probably wont make a huge difference in the map, but you can tell... i don't have much in the Hereford zone

It's a cocorahs station, reporting 35.4 as a total.

There are a couple spots in other areas like that too. Nice thing about doing a prelim map like this is to see those spots and decide if they need to be removed or not as they can make things look funky. I'll make a note of it and see if it needs to be removed.

Also, just to give you an idea on coverage... here are the data locations I have.

For example Harford County... I only have a few points to work with. The northern point is cocorahs with 60", then the one further south in the middle is a cocorahs with 45"

Obviously the more data the better, especially for those areas where there were large gaps between data locations.

Thanks for the info.  35.4" sounds pretty low for Columbia.  If that middle spot in Harford County is 45", then your Harford County map is probably pretty good.  

Thanks for the info.  35.4" sounds pretty low for Columbia.  If that middle spot in Harford County is 45", then your Harford County map is probably pretty good.  

Yeah, its a Columbia station. I made note of it and will probably just delete for the final version. There is another cocorahs station right next to it reporting 48.8", so that 35" is clearly not correct.

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Very minor detail, but Wilmington has 53" for the year, so you may want to extend that light blue spot in DE a little east :)

can you send me a link to where you found 53"? The dot near there is showing 44.5" from cocorahs

Prelim map as of today (3/6).

If you did not update your totals from Mondays snow, your old total is being used.

Let me know if you have comments/questions.

Thanks!

Mappy

WOW! Nice map! Looks better than the NWS's maps. How did you create it?

About Harford County- Bel Air ALWAYS get a few more inches than I do, as they are a little west of me. I think it's safe to say that they have over 50". If I had to guess, I'd say they're at 55".

WOW! Nice map! Looks better than the NWS's maps. How did you create it?

About Harford County- Bel Air ALWAYS get a few more inches than I do, as they are a little west of me. I think it's safe to say that they have over 50". If I had to guess, I'd say they're at 55".

Thanks! The map was made in GIS, ArcView specifically. Lots of other technical stuff went into it, but I don't want to bore anyone with the details.

As for Bel Air, I have a cocorahs station for them and it's reporting 49.5", so the 50" line will probably shift south some with the next update (seems I didn't update the total as my map is still showing 45.5")

That's good stuff. Also, my oasis of lighter green with surrounding dark green puts my relative snow grumpiness into focus.

I know. But you're very close to 40, so there's that.

I'm sure nwbaltwx is feeling grumpy too. He's technically 40-49 at 49.5" while RR is 3 miles away with 56"

I know. But you're very close to 40, so there's that.

I'm sure nwbaltwx is feeling grumpy too. He's technically 40-49 at 49.5" while RR is 3 miles away with 56"

I really thought I was gonna break into 40 with the last storm. Still can't believe that was only 3 inches at my house. 4.5 would have gotten me over 40...

Thanks! The map was made in GIS, ArcView specifically. Lots of other technical stuff went into it, but I don't want to bore anyone with the details.

As for Bel Air, I have a cocorahs station for them and it's reporting 49.5", so the 50" line will probably shift south some with the next update (seems I didn't update the total as my map is still showing 45.5")

49.5"? That's all? I must have received more snow than they did with some of the storms... I know with the 3/3 storm I got almost 2" more than they did...

49.5"? That's all? I must have received more snow than they did with some of the storms... I know with the 3/3 storm I got almost 2" more than they did...

You only have 45.3" per your last update total. So they still have more than you.

Archived