SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2013-2014

Rainshadow

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My post from NY Metro  portal is attached.

Locals are talking about a severe winter already!.

I was told the last time August was this cold & warm blast in September, we had winter from November to April with 110 + on the block for snow.

1st cool day of fall on the ridge line. Max temp 59.

Deer are running hard (had 2 bucks & 5 females in the yard this morning)with the bears active(saw 2 yesterday asking for doughnuts).

Current temp 48F.

Winter looks to be cold and snowy according to the locals.

Summer ended near the end of July. I only took one dip in the lake in August.

Tree color will be near peak in 2 weeks.

Best,

Matt

Matt.....Same here in NW Chesco today with High of only 59.1....well below normal for this time of year but certainly not sure that has any bearing on upcoming winter

My post from NY Metro  portal is attached.

Locals are talking about a severe winter already!.

I was told the last time August was this cold & warm blast in September, we had winter from November to April with 110 + on the block for snow.

1st cool day of fall on the ridge line. Max temp 59.

Deer are running hard (had 2 bucks & 5 females in the yard this morning)with the bears active(saw 2 yesterday asking for doughnuts).

Current temp 48F.

Winter looks to be cold and snowy according to the locals.

Summer ended near the end of July. I only took one dip in the lake in August.

Tree color will be near peak in 2 weeks.

Best,

Matt

Can you post some of the pros and cons that you see? Maybe so we can see how things progress through autumn.

I'm just quickly thinking of things, so there will be more I'm sure...

1) I like how quiet the sun is, and we may be beyond "absolute peak" with the magnetic reversal in sunspots; however, it is a long-drawn-out process that could take another year or so. We'll likely see additional spikes, sure, but possibly the strongest is behind us. If we see an exceptionally strong spike develop this autumn, it should be something we consider highly for the AO (no need to say +AO if we see a general increase, which usually happens that time of year anyway).

2) The colder ENSO is, and the quieter the sun is this winter, the better the opportunity for blocking, specifically the Aleutian High. So the latest MEI is promising.

3) The post-peak MQI phases favor propagating, off-equatorial anomalies (CHI/OLR) into "phase 7-8-1" etc...

4) There has been a pretty weak SAO happening for the equinoxes this year and westerly anomalies are downright fail. Let's see how the equatorial stratopause winds do over the next 60 days.

5) The storm track that kicks in during autumn may be developing faster, which is a good thing. But the data is still preliminary on that. Global circulation this summer has been really kooky!

6) I do not like how large the Tropical Heating has been and how the equatorial players may favor quite an extensive area of heat (E-C IO to W. Pac) this winter. This may fight against the PV. See 2011-12 for a great example of why.

7) I'm worried the SST will prevent deeper waves from developing this cold season and promote zonal, fast flow. I am talking about the northern Pacific and Atlantic.

FWIW, I think I might like the last week of December for some winter fun with anomalous cold and probably some snow event(s). :P

Not exactly extratropical, but it was interesting to follow the progression of the mon/tue non(?) system.  00z Wed Op Euro was very bullish.  The 12z run that day lost it (although the 00z ensemble average didnt exactly look bullish) and then the GFS lost it the subsequent night's run.  Looking for a benchmark of model stabilization for the winter, i.e. when can the med range be used with greater confidence. So, if it stays south, the first salvo says day 4-5 with a nod to the Euro losing it first.  If it comes north, nobody is winning as of 12z Fri.

Let's hope a certain feature doesn't become a semi permanent fixture as we head forward: like pattern

Yeah that's a normal look for us even with a trough anomaly over the east. Any real cold air goes from Siberia into that huge Gulf of Alaska trough. Good thing it's fall now. 

I'm happy to have a piece of the PV sitting near eastern Siberia in October.  All the better to get the snow cover started on a positive note.  

Dr. Hart's research paper is going to disagree with the Newfoundland pool result for the +NAO for this upcoming winter unless something dramatically changes the last third of this tropical season. I dont see any NH recurving storms north of 40N and even liberally using UNISYS's tracks, we are still not yet in NAO neutral territory.

Not saying its this winter, because if I "knew" I'd be independently wealthy :whistle:  but its been a while since we've had a south of 40N (even if its not by raw numbers, but by percentages of average) winter, somewhere down the road its going to happen. How's that for jumping in with both feet? :unsure:

Parts of VA have done very well the last couple winters relative to normal snowfall because of a few oddball clippers, etc... while DC and Baltimore have gotten nearly shut out and you folks from PHL and points north have done pretty well again.  I'm ready for a 39N winter :)

Parts of VA have done very well the last couple winters relative to normal snowfall because of a few oddball clippers, etc... while DC and Baltimore have gotten nearly shut out and you folks from PHL and points north have done pretty well again.  I'm ready for a 39N winter :)

I believe philly (airport) didn't do too well suburbs did much better.

Phl has been under 10" the past two winters. According to the Franklin Institute data this has only happened three times since 1884. Snowfall in the winters following 2 <10" winters:: 1890/91 - 15.2", 1931/32 - 8.0" and 1951/52 - 16.2. Average of the three is 13.1". Very limited sample but not too encouraging for this year. 

Not saying its this winter, because if I "knew" I'd be independently wealthy :whistle:  but its been a while since we've had a south of 40N (even if its not by raw numbers, but by percentages of average) winter, somewhere down the road its going to happen. How's that for jumping in with both feet? :unsure:

2009-10?

lol i think he is talking about ray's map where everyone was around 75-80 inches then there was one small bulls eye right around brookhaven with 91 inches

You got it.  I get paid the same either way, just seems like a host of contradictions for this upcoming winter,. I already tip my hat to whoever gets it close.

Archived