Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

Here is the wwa

NJZ009-010-012>015-062100-/O.EXB.KPHI.WW.Y.0014.130306T2100Z-130307T1100Z/HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON423 AM EST WED MAR 6 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO6 AM EST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THISAFTERNOON TO 6 AM EST THURSDAY.* LOCATIONS...THE FAR NORTHWEST PHILADELPHIA SUBURBS...BERKS  COUNTY AND THE WESTERN LEHIGH VALLEY.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES.* TIMING...MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN DURING THE DAY AND  LIKELY CHANGE TO RAIN BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO SNOW TONIGHT. THE  SNOW SHOULD START TAPERING OFF THIS EVENING AND END TONIGHT.* IMPACTS...EXPECT SLUSHY TRAVELING CONDITIONS WITH THE  WEDNESDAY EVENING COMMUTE. GREATER IMPACTS WILL OCCUR ON  SMALLER ROADWAYS. SNOW COULD ARRIVE IN TIME TO IMPACT THE  WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE TOO. ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES ARE  POSSIBLE.* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, everyone and their dead relatives knew that the NAM was nuts but it still delivers banding and decent omega for portion of the area when it counts (later this afternoon/evening). I have to look at things further but there is decent QPF still with the banding. The offshore convection doesn't rob the 900-700mb RH like it did on the GFS.

I guess we'll find out. I could see Mt Holly's forecast working out in the S-C NJ area.

How realistic are these backlash bands coming back over NJ/PA Thursday into Friday?  Seems silly.

How realistic are these backlash bands coming back over NJ/PA Thursday into Friday?  Seems silly.

it's an inverted trough feature due to a piece of the northern stream digging in, the euro has it too. Just not as robust as the nam. (surprise)

Right now evidence is mounting that it snows more tomorrow night back home, than it does tonight.

Yep, and the interesting thing about that is none of the local media outlets have pointed out tomorrow night at all.  I think most I saw was something along the line of "a few left over snow showers".

I hate to say I called it, but... 

Even the DC people should be worried. Warm is the name of the game. you're gonna need intense snowfall rates to get accumulations south of, say, Harrisburg-Frederick-Leesburg or thereabouts.

:whistle:

(ok so in reality there's plenty of 2-4" reports between that line and I-95 but the point is that DC proper is getting killed with bl temps)

I hate to say I called it, but... 

:whistle:

(ok so in reality there's plenty of 2-4" reports between that line and I-95 but the point is that DC proper is getting killed with bl temps)

yeah even Dulles changed over to plain rain, which even I find a little surprising.  The models underplayed the low-level warmth with this one.

Now, in the mtns west of there, some reports go as high as 20 inches!

Current Mt. Holly map (used the day 1 image since the storm-total image doesn't seem to have been updated)

Ray, I'm not sure what you mean in your post above. Is your map the one that is supposed to be displayed? When I refresh the web site with Mt Holly's map, it still shows the snowlicious map from earlier with 2-4" for me south of the C&D Canal near the MD border. My point-and-click also says 1-3" this afternoon and 1-2" tonight. I'm just wondering if I should pull my fork out of this storm and start crossing my fingers again.

Ray, I'm not sure what you mean in your post above. Is your map the one that is supposed to be displayed? When I refresh the web site with Mt Holly's map, it still shows the snowlicious map from earlier with 2-4" for me south of the C&D Canal near the MD border. My point-and-click also says 1-3" this afternoon and 1-2" tonight. I'm just wondering if I should pull my fork out of this storm and start crossing my fingers again.

If you look here...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/StormTotalSnow/stormtotal.php

You'll notice the storm total graphic has an update time of 0923 UTC (423 AM).

Then if you go here...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/WinterDSS.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom left... you'll see the map I posted.

If you look here...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/StormTotalSnow/stormtotal.php

You'll notice the storm total graphic has an update time of 0923 UTC (423 AM).

Then if you go here...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/WinterDSS.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom left... you'll see the map I posted.

Thanks - what I suspected. The storm can keep my fork.

At least it's nice to go outside and hear the sound of wind in the trees. I've missed that over the past few months.

Archived