Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to tell exactly but there is still 50/50 snow cover with most of it being in drifted and shaded areas 6 inches  as of tonight. I am surprised it held up this well here and that is why i am holding to my 14 inches for the storm even though the reported total was 11 for my town. (18, 2 miles east?) obviously the observer measured in a drifted out area. I measured in 10 spots in the least drifted areas i could find and my average was 14. Based on observations to my south west of almost all snow gone I think my obs was solid.

Down to 14.5" of snow on the ground in Port Jefferson as of 6:20 PM tonight....though the worst of the melting may be over for a bit.

Down to 13.0" of snow on ground in Port Jefferson as of 6:30 PM tonight.  Not expecting too much new snow overnight...though the 18z RGEM printed out two to three inches for Long Island overnight...and I'm always told inside 24 hours is its good range.

Lol.....this is your pet peeve isn't it? Agree though.....just because it's snowing doesn't mean it's "ripping"....

And a new entry to the great "ripping" debate: a "ripping" thaw.

From the January 17, 1851 edition of the Burlington Free Press:

The flood of Mr. Noah was well enough, in its way, but he who sees a "ripping" thaw, this winter, will get a lively idea of what snow is made of!

And a new entry to the great "ripping" debate: a "ripping" thaw.

From the January 17, 1851 edition of the Burlington Free Press:

The flood of Mr. Noah was well enough, in its way, but he who sees a "ripping" thaw, this winter, will get a lively idea of what snow is made of!

the record from 1851 where rainfall was recorded near Jamaica NY...

Dec...Jan...Feb...Mar...

temperatures were a little above average for the obs site on Governors Island...

I have no snowfall records from that winter...I wonder if snowfall records were kept and saved somewhere from the mid 1800's?

the record from 1851 where rainfall was recorded near Jamaica NY...

Dec...Jan...Feb...Mar...

temperatures were a little above average for the obs site on Governors Island...

I have no snowfall records from that winter...I wonder if snowfall records were kept and saved somewhere from the mid 1800's?

Unfortunately, I've never come across detailed snowfall records from that time.

Down to 13.0" of snow on ground in Port Jefferson as of 6:30 PM tonight. 

Snow depth 10.0" in Port Jefferson as of 12:30 AM Saturday morning.

Snow depth 10.0" in Port Jefferson as of 12:30 AM Saturday morning.

We are down to 9" as of 7am. Some small bare spot showing under the Hemlocks, but that is to be expected given the trees themselves collected a couple feet of snow. Two of them had the tops snap off. Its been a tough year for trees. I am in period of horticultural mourning.

The event today/tonight looks like it might not suck.

We are down to 9" as of 7am. Some small bare spot showing under the Hemlocks, but that is to be expected given the trees themselves collected a couple feet of snow. Two of them had the tops snap off. Its been a tough year for trees. I am in period of horticultural mourning.

The event today/tonight looks like it might not suck.

We haven't even seen the disaster yet to come this spring! In areas that flooded with the surge from Sandy there will be catastrophic damage to trees/shrubs. You can already see it on the evergreens here which are for the most part already dead. Even the salt spray which spread far inland has done a number on the white pines all the way up into the middle of the island. The fresh water pond preserve down the block from my house was overtaken by the surge and about 100 acres of pristine forest flooded with several feet of salt water. Its going to be very sad this spring when most of that forest doesn't leaf out. I remember reading about coastal forests in New England that were decimated in the 38 hurricane. I think we will see something similar here.

We haven't even seen the disaster yet to come this spring! In areas that flooded with the surge from Sandy there will be catastrophic damage to trees/shrubs. You can already see it on the evergreens here which are for the most part already dead. Even the salt spray which spread far inland has done a number on the white pines all the way up into the middle of the island. The fresh water pond preserve down the block from my house was overtaken by the surge and about 100 acres of pristine forest flooded with several feet of salt water. Its going to be very sad this spring when most of that forest doesn't leaf out. I remember reading about coastal forests in New England that were decimated in the 38 hurricane. I think we will see something similar here.

I was wondering why all the white pines around here look like they're dying. A lot of them have yellow needles and look they are on the fringe of dying. I thought it was lack of water, or too much water, too warm, I didn't know. That's crazy how far the salt spray got inland.Those hurricane force winds must have carried enough of salt spray inland to do substantial damage to the pines. It's only that species though, all the other evergreens such as the Norway Spruce, are doing fine. I wonder if the Norway Maples are able to handle the salt well. We'll see this spring.

I was wondering why all the white pines around here look like they're dying. A lot of them have yellow needles and look they are on the fringe of dying. I thought it was lack of water, or too much water, too warm, I didn't know. That's crazy how far the salt spray got inland.Those hurricane force winds must have carried enough of salt spray inland to do substantial damage to the pines. It's only that species though, all the other evergreens such as the Norway Spruce, are doing fine. I wonder if the Norway Maples are able to handle the salt well. We'll see this spring.

White Pines are super salt sensative. They should be the onlys pecies that takes such a big hit past the surge line. Within the surge area all bets are off because even salt tolerant evergreen species such as cedars are dropping like flys around here. The spring leaf out here will be scary to say the least. Without giving to much away its an excellent business opportunity, one which I am all over. (other the meteo and surfing im a horiculture junkie)

Archived