joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had some decent blocking we'd have another miller B threat next week. With no blocking the high in SE Canada slides eastward the system cuts with nothing to stop it.

f144.gif

f168.gif

You may start the warm with some WAA and when it ends next weekend , there mayb a system on the coast .

Best ratios usually come from an unstable sounding like those we had on Monday night.  I'm not seeing that with this system, they're pretty stable aloft.  So, my guess is 20:1 and higher is unrealistic.

You are, but assuming ultra high ratios because surface temps are colder than the last time isn't correct, as we keep stressing the main factor in ratios is aloft, not at the ground.

But I never said that ratios depend on surface conditions. I learned from you that higher ratios occur because of factors aloft. I never said it had to do with the surface. After all, snow doesn't form at the surface.

You make good contributions to this forum, people like you teach us. Thank you.

But I never said that ratios depend on surface conditions. I learned from you that higher ratios occur because of factors aloft. I never said it had to do with the surface. After all, snow doesn't form at the surface.

You make good contributions to this forum, people like you teach us. Thank you.

No problem.  I don't think my comments about ratios (and people not reading them) have been directed at you per se.

500mb improvements can be seen this run though. Some N adjustment with precip field but the interesting thing is the energy rounding the trough off more in Midwest with heights responding a bit on the east coast. There is some time left, not much room for anything signifcant but a couple inches is possible.

3 things on this run  1. It digs a little sooner and you see interaction with the northern branch as it  expands its precip field over its 12z run . 2 .Theres a  little clipper on its heels so there mayb a prolonged period of light snow anyways .   3. Its in the teens through the entire time.  If you get the slightest bit of  digging than you can intesify a little earlier you may be able come even further north than progged.

It less sheared with vorts, until about 60hrs. When shoots out the southern vort further east. I like the trends before that though. The 12z GFS was the similar too.

Does the fact that the NAM loses it's MOJO in the later hours? Just wondering anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

It less sheared with vorts, until about 60hrs. When shoots out the southern vort further east. I like the trends before that though. The 12z GFS was the similar too.

The 00z runs tonight are so important. Nobody will be able to say that all of the energy isn't onshore because it's coming in as we speak. If the models are going to start making a significant move it should be tonight.

Archived