• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

12Z GEFS total accumulated 84 hour precip suggests some areas could get 0.25 with high ratios 3 - 5 inches is not out of the question if this run verifies

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/12zgfsensemblep72084.gif

My guess is that there are a few more members this go around showing something which isn't saying all that much. Waiting on the individual members.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be a drier run then 00z. We get kind of screwed between the northern stream and developing costal storm

This is what happens a lot when you have a miller B that forms off the Delmarva and points north. You either really need a big phase so that the coastal takes over sooner and intensifies quicker like some the Euro and UKMET runs have snown, or you need the main low coming from the lakes to stay stronger longer. The low coming from the mid-west dies out before the heavier precip reaches us and the coastal gets going too far OTS. I would say 1" would be generous at this point except for Suffolk County and points NE.

2- 4 . and still 3 days out , so that higher range still in reach from the City South and East with just the slightest earlier interaction between the southern and northern features . ( which will not be totally ironed out until its in the plains. tomorrow )

Great temps snowing close to 20 degrees .

As it stand the models are coming into agreement . .10 - .20 qpf city south and east minus 15 air and surface temps really cold .

The 4 inch number is still very much in reach .

Better than a whiff , so gotta feel better than you did 24 hrs ago .

2- 4 . and still 3 days out , so that higher range still in reach from the City South and East with just the slightest earlier interaction between the southern and northern features . ( which will not be totally ironed out until its in the plains. tomorrow )

Great temps snowing close to 20 degrees .

As it stand the models are coming into agreement . .10 - .20 qpf city south and east minus 15 air and surface temps really cold .

The 4 inch number is still very much in reach .

Better than a whiff , so gotta feel better than you did 24 hrs ago .

Personally I think there is a much greater chance of a complete whiff than 3" of snow. If I lived in Suffolk County I would be expecting 1-2".

The Euro is just odd, it takes the low from Minnesota at hr 48 and redevelops it just SE of Cape Cod by hour 72.

I'm referring to the solution it had two days ago. We are at day 3 now off this run. Dec 27 was suppose to give Chicago a snowstorm. Turn out to be a sne snowstorm. Just has been awful outside day 3. It's not usually like that.

UKIE/GFS/EURO are all very, very similar now with their total precip for the area.

That's the top 3 globals with nearly identical numbers.

Assuming area wide average of .15" and 12:1 ratios that's still 1-2" area wide and that is probably generous. I would expect that the precip shield will probably remain un-organized until it's east of us.

Lotta 3`s on Long Island out of .10 on Monday nite . This prob a tad , a tad wetter .

I may joke around a lot about the interior cashing in and you guys getting nothing but I'm happy you guys got your snow the other night. I didn't even get flurries. I've already had close to 10" this season and if you count November it's closer to 14". Because of my plans Friday night I'd rather just pass this up all together and wait for a better threat that appears to be possible in about 10-14 days.

Archived