SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said many days ago. I Am not canceling winter but the talk is in the air already. Patience to anyone in an uproar over no snow yet. Hopefully we can squeeze something out with the possible sign of SSW going to take place. The cold will return by months end. I am not sweating the CFS2 at this moment yet. This sure does remind me of a La'Nina like winter as well. Back in July many of us were expecting an El' Niño winter. What a disaster it has been but it could be worse and like last year. Happy New Years to everyone!

La nada following La nina sucks for a reason---warmer/little snow (at least early on). More hope for later half of winter as Nina hangover may fade and blocking may increase. For now, the next couple of weeks look....zzzzzzzzzzz.

MDstorm

According to 18z run, after ten days, a more active pattern develops, and that has to be more encouraging that the upcoming week to ten days. Rain is featured with even a coastal storm at the end of the run. Two weeks on;two weeks off. That may be our pattern this winter. 

Like I said many days ago. I Am not canceling winter but the talk is in the air already. Patience to anyone in an uproar over no snow yet. Hopefully we can squeeze something out with the possible sign of SSW going to take place. The cold will return by months end. I am not sweating the CFS2 at this moment yet. This sure does remind me of a La'Nina like winter as well. Back in July many of us were expecting an El' Niño winter. What a disaster it has been but it could be worse and like last year. Happy New Years to everyone!

Just a reminder.It's January 1 not March 1.

all comes down to Sandy

it may have not been technically the month of October, but close enough

generally speaking, most places that got snow in 10/11 storm got it in Sandy (not necessarily around I95 in the MA, but further north)

the curse of the early season storm

that has to be the reason for this garbage  :arrowhead:

How ironic for the 3rd time I never said I was canceling winter. The attitude and certain post describes what I said. There is plenty of time to get in on some action. I am not concerned at all!!

I read over the NE forum that JB is even ready to throw in the towel based on Euro weeklies

that will give any weenie pause

2m temps are the freebies of the day at the Euro site today

take a look at Day 10 12z

as bad as the temps look, note the wind direction....they're from the south over the entire east coast!

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/two_metre_temperature_and_30m_winds!240!North%20America!t2m!pop!od!oper!w_t2m30mw!2013010112!!/

maybe it's time to root for new records going the wrong way

I read over the NE forum that JB is even ready to throw in the towel based on Euro weeklies

that will give any weenie pause

Yep. Never seen him so distraught before. Tried to explain it away in typical JB fashion but even he could not based on  the weeklies good track record. Definitely said wihter could be over.  I was stunned

It would be hard to vote against below avg snow compared to normal for the rest of winter in DC at least. The historical odds favor it. I'm not sure losing most of Jan is inconsequential should it happen. We shall see.

I have already punted this winter. Moving forward, I expect 3/4 winters to end up below normal snowfall. DC may as well be Richmond. It should only get worse.

Have to remind ourselves we live in the Subtropics in a time of a clear warming period. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Subtropics" data-cid="1976824" data-time="1357101318"><p>

I have already punted this winter. Moving forward, I expect 3/4 winters to end up below normal snowfall. DC may as well be Richmond. It should only get worse.<br />

<br />

Have to remind ourselves we live in the Subtropics in a time of a clear warming period.</p></blockquote>

We did just get 70 inches 3 years ago. Should have known we'd pay for it sometime

Keep my fingers crossed that by the end of this month the SSW event will finally give us much colder weather we all have been looking for.

Next 2 weeks don't look so great unless something on the models is suppressed which right now I am not seeing it.

Keep my fingers crossed that by the end of this month the SSW event will finally give us much colder weather we all have been looking for.

Next 2 weeks don't look so great unless something on the models is suppressed which right now I am not seeing it.

Didn't we play this game last year?

Hard not to be interested in this feature. It's only hr 108. No surface reflection other than very light precip but still...this resembles something sneaky. 

attachicon.gif 12zgfs500.JPG

I'm with you but this is basically a kick in the nuts. This wave was timed very nicely in the long range using a lot of factors but the PJ and PV are retreating so quickly. It really is a shame that we couldn't hold on to some semblance of amplification to allow for this wave to do its thing. Then we would be talking Mid Atlantic winter storm.

Archived