SnowHabit
November 26th-29th (Snow?) Storm

Powerball

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad for some of us on the GEM.

PT_PN_108_0000.gif

The past several years for some reason has hd MANY systems like this where my area is on the edge barely getting anything and northern lower gets missed completely. The reason they have had several below avg snowfall winters. I don't really understand why the storm track has been pretty persistent with that, but that's how it has been. So based on the general pattern of the last couple winters, I would think the southeastern half of lower Michigan may be the prime spot.

Although, HPC wasn't buying the 12z run, I can't imagine they would buy this run either based off of the text here...FWIW.

TROUGHING MOVING ACROSS THE NORTHWEST/HIGH PLAINS SUNDAY/MONDAY

===============================================================

PREFERENCE: NON-ECMWF COMPROMISE WITH AVERAGE CONFIDENCE

THE 12Z ECMWF SHOWS THE WEAKEST AND MOST PROGRESSIVE SOLUTION WITH

THIS SYSTEM (EVEN WHEN COMPARED TO ITS OWN ENSEMBLE MEAN), WHILE

THE REMAINDER OF THE GUIDANCE IS SOMEWHAT STRONGER AND SLOWER. AN

AMPLIFIED RIDGE LIES UPSTREAM OFFSHORE THE WEST COAST, WHICH

ARGUES FOR A SLOWER/DEEPER SOLUTION. A NON-ECMWF COMPROMISE IS

PREFERRED HERE WITH AVERAGE CONFIDENCE CONSIDERING ITS PROGRESSIVE

NATURE.

lmaosmiley.gif NO storm on the euro at all. Oh my goodness. Love the models. So we may be shoveling/plowing, needing an umbrella, or not seeing a drop/flake within hundreds of miles on Tuesday. This is why poor "tv weathermen" get such a bad rep with the public.

I know people like to just adore the euro, but it is SUCH an outlier, are people still buying it? I mean, that there will be NO storm?

The past several years for some reason has hd MANY systems like this where my area is on the edge barely getting anything and northern lower gets missed completely. The reason they have had several below avg snowfall winters. I don't really understand why the storm track has been pretty persistent with that, but that's how it has been. So based on the general pattern of the last couple winters, I would think the southeastern half of lower Michigan may be the prime spot.

There is no question that SE MI has been the prime spot for synoptic snow in recent MI winters pre 2011-12 (again, we cant say ANYTHING about last winter, because the pattern simply favored next to nothing and Ma nature threw us all a few inches whenever it was cold enough). If you ask me, its a very fair trade-off because it allows the entire state to share in winters wealth since historically (certainly not the last 5 years tho) SE MI averages by far the least snow in the "winter wonderland state". This way, we are getting a decent share of synoptic snow....when the west side of the state always has LES to pick up the slack when they miss storms...and the northern part of the state, even enduring several winters of below-normal snow, is under a constant winter-long blanket regardless of the year, allowing winter sports enthusiasts and snowmobilers to have a lot more fun than the weather weenies up there.

lmaosmiley.gif NO storm on the euro at all. Oh my goodness. Love the models. So we may be shoveling/plowing, needing an umbrella, or not seeing a drop/flake within hundreds of miles on Tuesday. This is why poor "tv weathermen" get such a bad rep with the public.

I know people like to just adore the euro, but it is SUCH an outlier, are people still buying it? I mean, that there will be NO storm?

4-5 days out is a long time but there is a lot against it even if it's models with overall lesser skill.

The ECMWF handled Pacific waves better than most models last season, and it's doing alright so far this season. It has to be recognized.

A solution between the ECMWF/GFS is probably the way to go for now.

There is no question that SE MI has been the prime spot for synoptic snow in recent MI winters pre 2011-12 (again, we cant say ANYTHING about last winter, because the pattern simply favored next to nothing and Ma nature threw us all a few inches whenever it was cold enough). If you ask me, its a very fair trade-off because it allows the entire state to share in winters wealth since historically (certainly not the last 5 years tho) SE MI averages by far the least snow in the "winter wonderland state". This way, we are getting a decent share of synoptic snow....when the west side of the state always has LES to pick up the slack when they miss storms...and the northern part of the state, even enduring several winters of below-normal snow, is under a constant winter-long blanket regardless of the year, allowing winter sports enthusiasts and snowmobilers to have a lot more fun than the weather weenies up there.

Good points. While I love having lake effect snow to compensate being missed by storms, LES melts and compacts much faster...so I would much rather have synoptic snow (think northern New England :) ) Two out of the three winters I have lived here have been blah...I think I came expecting more winters like '10-'11...many great clippers and lake enhanced snow. I LOVE the Lake enhanced snow events. :)

The ECMWF handled Pacific waves better than most models last season, and it's doing alright so far this season. It has to be recognized.

A solution between the ECMWF/GFS is probably the way to go for now.

Right now I would toss it, when even it's own ensembles are favoring a more amplified solution then you know something is off with the op Euro. The whole evolution of the vorticity is completely muddled on that run, it doesn't have any sort of dominant piece just a mess of vorticity across Canada. I would have a hard time believing that would come out of such a strong upper level low.

Right now I would toss it, when even it's own ensembles are favoring a more amplified solution then you know something is off with the op Euro. The whole evolution of the vorticity is completely muddled on that run, it doesn't have any sort of dominant piece just a mess of vorticity across Canada. I would have a hard time believing that would come out of such a strong upper level low.

The 12z ENS mean was fairly flat/non-event.

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

305 AM EST FRI NOV 23 2012

VALID 12Z TUE NOV 27 2012 - 12Z FRI NOV 30 2012

GENERAL FLOW PATTERN

====================

A REPETITION OF THE PATTERN SEEN OVER THE PAST FEW WEEKS IS

EXPECTED, WITH AN AMPLIFIED TROUGH MOVING INTO THE EASTERN

PACIFIC, WITH DOWNSTREAM RIDGING FORMING ACROSS THE WEST AND

PLAINS, AND RENEWED TROUGHING ANTICIPATED ACROSS THE NORTHEAST,

THOUGH THE RIDGE/TROUGH COUPLET OVER THE LOWER 48 IS EXPECTED TO

BE COMPOSED OF BROAD FEATURES OF RELATIVELY LOW AMPLITUDE, WHICH

LEADS TO QUICK SHORTWAVE MOVEMENT THROUGH THE COUNTRY.

MODEL PREFERENCE

================

MODEL ISSUES ARE SIGNIFICANT THIS PERIOD. THE 00Z ECMWF BECOMES

VERY FAST WITH A SHORTWAVE MOVING THROUGH THE PLAINS MONDAY, AND

EVEN THOUGH ITS PATTERN ALOFT RESEMBLES THE ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLUTION

LATE NEXT WEEK, ITS PRESSURE PATTERN HAS BEEN SO CONTAMINATED BY

THIS QUICK-MOVING SHORTWAVE ACROSS THE EAST AND WESTERN ATLANTIC,

ITS SOLUTION COULD NOT BE USED. THE 00Z GFS BROKE DOWN THE

WESTERN RIDGE WEDNESDAY MORNING BY USING A FORMERLY CLOSED LOW TO

DO SO, AND DOES NOT CONVERGE WITH THE REMAINDER OF THE GUIDANCE

UNTIL DECEMBER 1ST, SO ITS SOLUTION WAS NOT USED EITHER. THE 00Z

CANADIAN SHARPENS THE BASE OF THE SHORTWAVE MOVING THROUGH THE

PLAINS EARLY ON, AND SENDS A DEEP CYCLONE ACROSS THE CENTRAL

APPALACHIANS INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES WHICH SHOWS LITTLE

RESPECT TO THE COOL AIR IN ADVANCE OF THE FEATURE (NO OBVIOUS COLD

AIR DAMMING). THE CANADIAN SOLUTION IS ON THE SLOW SIDE OF THE

12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLE ENVELOPE TO BOOT, AND CONSIDERING THE

RELATIVELY LOW AMPLITUDE FLOW, ITS SOLUTION SHOULD BE QUICKER AND

POSSIBLY WEAKER HERE, SO ITS SOLUTION WAS NOT BE USED EITHER.

PER THE ABOVE, THE PRESSURES USED A 00Z UKMET TEMPLATE THROUGH

TUESDAY BEFORE TRANSITIONING TO A 50/50 BLEND OF THE 00Z GEFS/12Z

ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN SOLUTIONS. THE 00Z UKMET SOLUTION WAS NOT

PERFECT EITHER, SHOWING QUICKER PROGRESSION THAN ANTICIPATED BY

THE ENSEMBLE LOW CLUSTERING ACROSS THE EAST AND WESTERN ATLANTIC,

SO SHIFTED ITS LOW PRESSURE CENTER TOWARDS 12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLE

CLUSTERING TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. CONSIDERING THE DETERMINISTIC

MODEL SPREAD THIS PERIOD, THE RELATIVELY LOW AMPLITUDE FLOW ACROSS

THE LOWER 48 UNITED STATES, AND THE LACK OF AN OVERALL GOOD

DETERMINISTIC MODEL CHOICE, CONFIDENCE IS BELOW AVERAGE IN THIS

PREFERENCE.

ROTH

Surprised to see the hpc so against using the euro... Actually, they pretty much ruled out the entire model suite in that discussion up there lol.

Even then, I think it will end up being suppressed enough that most of the snowfall will end up south of Michigan, and we would barely see anything. I would never say never, but realistically, we might just have to wait for the next storm before we see any kind of moderate to heavy snowfall here. Indiana and Ohio are surely still in it though.

Archived