• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Great Lakes ice loss at 71% since the early 1970s

The_Global_Warmer

I take it you don't realize that NYC subway systems pumps 10+ million gallon of water every single day and that if the entire pumping system was shut off they would fill within hours.

And this somehow negates the danger that they may flood, the danger we were warned of just last year as portions of NY experienced evacuations?

My argument is simply that the naysayers have won. No jurisdiction will raise the taxes needed to prevent slow acting catastrophes - so the catastrophes will play out in real time and everyone will claim that it was an unprecedented occurrence, an 'Act of God' that no one could have foreseen.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not understand the downplaying of this. I do not get it.

Is it is a defense mechanism. Why are professional scientists who for all intents and purposes agree nearly unanimously that the sea level will rise with 1C or 2C or 3C of warming. On top of that we have seen:

slide2.jpg

We are seeing accelerated ice mass loss in Greenland. what would another 1C or warming do? Or 2C?

Are we gonna seeing 1000, 2000GT a year loss compared to now?

Just what is happening now is showing an incredible imbalance up there. I do not understand why scientists who go there, camp there, study melt ponds up close and warn us that the ice underneath the top layers is melting as wll and collaspes can take place and possibly huge chunks of ice could slide off into the water.

when does it become a concern?

I do not understand the downplaying of this. I do not get it.

Is it is a defense mechanism. Why are professional scientists who for all intents and purposes agree nearly unanimously that the sea level will rise with 1C or 2C or 3C of warming. On top of that we have seen:

slide2.jpg

We are seeing accelerated ice mass loss in Greenland. what would another 1C or warming do? Or 2C?

Are we gonna seeing 1000, 2000GT a year loss compared to now?

Just what is happening now is showing an incredible imbalance up there. I do not understand why scientists who go there, camp there, study melt ponds up close and warn us that the ice underneath the top layers is melting as wll and collaspes can take place and possibly huge chunks of ice could slide off into the water.

when does it become a concern?

Do these graphs indicate that during the period 2002-2007 or 2008 that we actually gained mass at both regions??? I'm just trying to figure out the Y-axis.

actually, no it doesn't. The science theorizes this, it doesn't inform us of this. And furthermore, we can adapt to even the most outlandish, dire predictions. To say we are "rapidly" moving to a climate we can't adapt to, as you have done here, is pure rubbish. You state this as if it is a certainty, and as we know from 20 yrs of the false predictions from the doomsayers, climate science predictions and theories are anything but certain.

You have stated your opinion. The science is quite clear on this point and you in your infinite wisdom have found reason to doubt that science. Of course science theorizes this, just like we theorize everything carrying a very high level of confidence. Science has informed us of the high confidence level. You reject it. That's your right. I have faith in physics. You look to short term trends hoping to falsify the theory, and disregard the physics and the field of climatology.

In fact I am quite certain that at least the lower end of climate sensitivity is bound to occur and that humans will not do what is necessary to prevent it. For global temps to rise at least 2C over 200-300 yrs is indeed very rapid. Plants, animals and humans will be hard pressed to relocate and adapt that quickly.

The predictions have not been falsified, 20 yrs is nothing but natural variability masking the underlying trend...which is still on the order of 0.10-0.20C per decade. The globe is as warm as it has been in the entire instrumental record with no indication the rate of warming will decline. You dismiss science. I don't.

let us know when a city is in danger. New Orleans is built 6ft below sea level and going strong. I would think it would be the first casualty. I'd be willing to wager my life's savings that New Orleans will still be here in 50 yrs (I probably won't though). And if NO at 6ft BELOW sea level is still going strong, I'm not sure there's much to worry about and certainly no need for mass city migrations. More hype and doom that will never come to be.

Anyway, we past the tipping point a long time ago, or so we were told, so what's the point?

If you make bets like this very often I suspect that your life savings resembles this year's crop of ice on the Kara Sea........... a lot of withdrawals to zero followed by a modest recovery.

Of course, you may be a better steward of your own savings than that - I hope so, for your sake.

Archived