• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 31st - Potential Wintry Precip (formerly the March Torch Thread)

tornadojay

I give it maybe a ~1-2% chance of happening. I think the more likely scenario is the wave gets crushed and sheared out under confluence and we stay dry. Or it gets suppressed. The only model really harping on this is the usually over done NAM.

To be fair, the 6Z GFS made a big step in the NAM's direction.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you did have a freeze. The National Weather Service determines a freeze as a low at or below 32 degrees.

Most of Manhattan didn't get below freezing that night. There was absolutely no damage to any flowers/plants from what I saw all along the East Side. I even ran in the park this morning and nothing was damaged. Park looks like late April.

Most of Manhattan didn't get below freezing that night. There was absolutely no damage to any flowers/plants from what I saw all along the East Side. I even ran in the park this morning and nothing was damaged. Park looks like late April.

Just because nothing was damaged does not mean you did not hit freezing. It hit 29 here and nothing was damaged. It wasn't dry enough for frost to form and it wasn't below freezing that long. That doesn't change the fact that it still was a freeze.

same here-it was 27, but we were spared damage due to no frost--that's an interesting point that if frost doesn't develop, there's less damage--why is that?

The ice sitting on the leaves of the plants does more damage than just cold air. However, once you get much under 25, the reverse is true, because ice is significantly warmer than the air. That's why when a hard freeze is predicted, farmers cover oranges in ice.

Guest Pamela

Yes, you did have a freeze. The National Weather Service determines a freeze as a low at or below 32 degrees.

The guy you quoted lives in his own little world when it comes to the rules of weather....

We'll see what the 12Z GFS does, but if it trends toward the NAM, and things keep looking this way, with every passing model run, it actually gets more likely.

That's the funny part. It can't snow in winter, but it tries to happen in spring and it does happen in fall.

Out here...4/9/96 might have been the best...save for the wind aspect of the '82 storm...

http://www.northshor...10Snowstorm.gif

(Image courtesy NorthShoreWx)

I was living in Northern Ocean County NJ and we had 7 inches of heavy wet snow in the evening of 4/9/96 -lost power and the local radio station started playing christmas music - bizzare to say the least

By the way, also funny to see the NAM showing a weenie band on that image with the stripe of precip near the best lift and the subsidence south of it.

We have to wait until we get closer in to see who gets under the best banding :scooter: lol

Guest Pamela

12z NAM not that wet...0.22" for KNYC and KGA....0.32" for KISP....0.35": for BDR...though it falls at the best time possible....

I'm concerned the short wave may dampen out and weak precip intensity will prevent most from really accumulating, but we'll what future runs hold. This H5 set-up isn't all that bad for late March. 50/50 and height rise into Greenland with sfc high pressure (albeit weak) in SE Canada. A bit of blocking over Hudson's Bay.

2eg4tqh.gif

Archived