SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Spring 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure even Rangely will survive this week.

Great area to ride in. My son is bugging me to buy a trailer so we can bring our own sleds to the snow when necessary, I'd have to drive north of Montreal right now!

Rangeley is cooked, There will be no snow left except the highest elevations and would be off trail

Unfortunately it will still be at least a month before the golf courses open around here. Probably a bit longer for my course in order to let grass grow in the fairways that were damaged in Irene.

Does not look to be the case here, If this weather continues there will be some open in 2 weeks, There are already some that are in Southern Maine

There really isnt much snow left in vermont going by the webcams

http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf

Have snow out here in the hills above 1000' but it's going pretty quickly. I had 10" at the stake this morning and could find deeper if I poked around the back yard where it really piles up deep and is very tough to melt off. I'll see where it's at when I get home later but I would guess I'll be down to 7-8" at the stake by this evening when I'm back at the abode.

I find the remotely sensed snow depth depicted by the NOHRSC to be pretty accurate on the whole. Here's todays image from 21Z. My station is the first dot west of Bradford in Orange Co. Still showing snow on the ground. Three months and three days (and counting) of white ground at the homestead.

No denying the torch though. Winter's back has been broken below 2K.

post-2284-0-91431600-1331587495.jpg

Yep, snow is starting to melt out now in the valleys....

Still pretty white overall, but some of the larger fields north of Stowe towards Morrisville are brown. Fields in town seem to be a mix of no snow and snow depending on how the wind moved the snow around all winter. South facing slopes and areas are done down in town, more sheltered yards, woods, etc are still solid though. It won't be long though now before there's more brown than white from the birds eye view:

IMG_3305_edited-1.jpg

Field across the street from this webcam in town is now patchy.

And for the first time in a very LONG time the rime and snow has pretty much melted off all the trees. Yesterday this was a much "whiter" view. I'm pretty sure the high elevation trees up here have been caked in snow and rime since like mid December.

IMG_3310_edited-2.jpg

Man it is another world on the western side of the Green Mountain Spine.

This web cam is at 825ft elevation (similar to here, and even higher by a few feet) but on the western side of Mount Mansfield (visible) and there is absolutely no snow anywhere in view. Much different scene at the same elevation on the other side (eastern side) of the Spine. Makes sense though with CAA east of the spine allowing us to build a bigger snowpack all winter long. The western side at similar elevations has melted out completely several times this winter and never really built a snowpack, while the exact opposite location on the east side has had snow on the ground since before Christmas.

Compare this scene to the photos I posted above of the eastern side.

Got to 60F again today. This last 2" is really tough to melt....all cement and ice. I think we hold this cement patchiness through late week and maybe the weekend if we back door enough, but after that it's over.

It'll make the next warm spell in April more enjoyable as mud season will have ended early :) nothing better than a warm spring day in NNE after the snow melts and things wake up.

Backdoor right up our fannies. At least it should warm up again at some point next week as the ridge axis builds eastward.

I mentioned it in my long term AFD a couple nights ago. There is just too big of a threat of that this time of year to bite fully on an extended warm up. It's so easy to dull a good warm up this time of year, be it sea breezes or backdoors. Models really weren't catching on until yesterday. Now the NAM is full bore northeasterly surge, right down to the Monadnocks. I played temps/winds Wednesday about 75/25 NAM.

I mentioned it in my long term AFD a couple nights ago. There is just too big of a threat of that this time of year to bite fully on an extended warm up. It's so easy to dull a good warm up this time of year, be it sea breezes or backdoors. Models really weren't catching on until yesterday. Now the NAM is full bore northeasterly surge, right down to the Monadnocks. I played temps/winds Wednesday about 75/25 NAM.

The 6z NAM for Friday afternoon is what makes me hate DC in the Spring.

f84.gif

Rangeley is cooked, There will be no snow left except the highest elevations and would be off trail

Does not look to be the case here, If this weather continues there will be some open in 2 weeks, There are already some that are in Southern Maine

Just heard on the news that the Bucksport Golf course opened yesterday. Incredible weather.

Had 59/21 yesterday, but only lost 2" of the dense snowpack, 8" remains. Current forecast would take it to zero over the weekend. 33 with sprinkles this morning. Saw 3 gobblers strutting their stuff for 8-10 ladies in a field near the AUG-Sidney line this morning, earliest I've seen full display.

At 5am this morning it was 57 (!) at KBTV ASOS while 20 miles east on the otherside of the mountains it was 38F at KMVL ASOS.

I woke up and it was 36F at my place and couldn't believe BTV was over 20F warmer on the otherside of the mountain.

Snow depth at 3,000ft has lost 4" in the past 24 hours... down to 50". The Co-Op stake 1,000ft higher lost 3" and is at 65".

If anyone is trying to dig post holes and needs to know where the frost line is as of yesterday, it's receded to about 16 inches down. The palms of my hands are kinda bruised and I cracked one of the handles. lolz.

It's cold and I'm cranky.

That and the lake ice will soon be gone.

why is it 56 here :cry:

Looks like you had a NE lake breeze all day while we basked in SW winds. Maybe you'll spike up though. LCI had the land breeze take over an hour ago and they've shot up to 66F. You're right on Paugus though so a SW breeze may taint your warmth too.

• Made it to 68 degrees here in Lebanon today. Snow is pretty much gone,except for the normal patches, and prob some forest stuff. This really is pretty impressive. During a year that hasn't had much of a winter in the first place. I'll need to look at my totals, but I'ev only measured around 34 inches of snow for the season. Talk about a snow drought. Oh well, if it can't snow, let it be warm.

Looks like you had a NE lake breeze all day while we basked in SW winds. Maybe you'll spike up though. LCI had the land breeze take over an hour ago and they've shot up to 66F. You're right on Paugus though so a SW breeze may taint your warmth too.

yeah... the wind was also really light so the cold air just seems to settle in and hang around. you could feel the freezing air seeping off the snowpack between the building and the garage. my backyard got one random puff of wind around 4pm that was great... you could feel the warmth for about 60 seconds.

I've already begun getting my hopes up for this...

Sunday

Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

Monday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tuesday

Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

yeah... the wind was also really light so the cold air just seems to settle in and hang around. you could feel the freezing air seeping off the snowpack between the building and the ga

rage. my backyard got one random puff of wind around 4pm that was great... you could feel the warmth for about 60 seconds.

I've already begun getting my hopes up for this...

Sunday

Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

Monday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and

thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Tuesday

Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

Yeah 850s look to be 12-14c which when adiabatically warmed to the surface would imply atleast low to mid 70s with a good sw flow.

Well, let's see--warmed up to 56F on Monday and 58F yesterday but I have to say, we've been dropping back down fairly quickly in the late afternoons.

When I left work in Hanover on Monday, the truck thermo read 63F and by the time I got home, 45 minutes later, 700' higher and 30 miles further north out here at the house, it was already down to 39F. Similar last evening: left Hanover at 4:30pm to 66F and came home to 41F.

Still have some snow too. 6" at the stake in the yard. Even the fields nearby still have some snowcover but it's going fast. I'd guess at this rate and looking at what's ahead, it'll be gone here by the weekend other than the old plow piles. It's sad, but at this point I say let's just melt it off, thaw out the mud and get on with it.

Cleared off last night pretty well and actually dropped down to 30F where we now sit. At least the muddy driveway will be firm this morning when I drive out. ;)

Archived