Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Obs/Disco Thread

H2O

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golfball sized hail covered the ground at my Stepmom's house near Rock Cave, Upshur County, WV. Some hail damage being reported in that area.

Yes...I was on I-79 coming back from Bridgeport mid-afternoon. Around the 89 mile marker the hail was several inches deep for about a 3-5 mile stretch. It looked like snow. A low fog was hugging the ground due to the cold hail....really wierd scene. I must have just missed the storm that put it down. That would have been wild to drive through that mess while it was coming down. A lot of early leaves were stripped off the trees and littered the highway. This is probably from the same batch of storms that hit your stepmom's area.

I kept runiing in and out of downpours the rest of the way home, but no more hail. Only 0.13" in the gauge at home.

Slight risk again for Friday afternoon.

The other day people were tweeting about the fact that MD is ranked ~4th out of all states for tornados per square mile. Does anybody know of the source of that? Or where I can find that story?

I think Ian tweeted it from his USTornadoes site/twitter. Or was it CWG?

So im thinking about planting some seeds in the yard, but not sure if I should wait for these next couple of cold shots to pass by. Anybody have any thoughts on how strong these cold shots are going to be and if I should wait or not?

Depends on what you're starting. I've got the hot weather stuff (tomatoes, peppers, etc) started in side in flats. Things than can handle the cool a bit better can be dumped outside already.

KD

Depends on what you're starting. I've got the hot weather stuff (tomatoes, peppers, etc) started in side in flats. Things than can handle the cool a bit better can be dumped outside already.

KD

Exactly. Things like cucumbers, squash, zucchini, etc. can just wait a few more weeks and should be planted directly in the ground. Ideally, things like tomatoes and peppers should have been started at least a month ago. It's not too late to start, of course. It's probably a little late to start cool weather crops like lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, etc.

Big temp bust today. Does this hurt the chances for #1 March?

No, it's pretty much a done deal. Even if the high temperature today holds at 53, we would have to be about 13 degrees below the forecast tomorrow to miss the record at DCA.

Actually were we not on track to beat April as well as March? Maybe that chance has gone too?

Actually were we not on track to beat April as well as March? Maybe that chance has gone too?

We never had a realistic chance in March to beat the April record, as that record is 62.1 (in 1981) vs the March record of 56.2 (in 1945) and a current projection of 56.7 this March. However, the average April temperature during 1981-2010 at DCA is 56.9, so a tad below normal April this year would mean a warmer March than April for only the second time in DC history. I doubt if it will happen, but it could.

Archived