• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium Range Thread

tombo82685

Mt.Holly mentioned in their afternoon AFD of a potential significant rain event for Sunday, thoughts?

Seeing is believing. Significant rain event would be less that .50 because we have not seen that amount in weeks. Drys up before going over the mts again? If we have rain, at least throw in a few t-storms. We deserve them with these 80 degree temps

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's dumb to use the Euro as justification for it, but the ENSO/MJO pattern is going to be conducive for an interior snow next week. I'd keep half an eye on it if I lived in the Poconos.

It's a pretty slow moving system highly dependent on the strength of the ridging over Canada. And while the MJO correlation to an east coast low has been solid (I believe twice since the new years the MJO has been phase 7 and there's been some type of an eastern coastal low?). So no doubt the MJO is doing its job. Just thought I'd mention it.

Obviously, take any solution on longer range with a grain of salt. I do believe he was just mentioning the potential.

both gfs and euro trying to amp up some N. Atlantic ridging and with the shortened wavelengths it looks like we'll be dealing with a couple of fronts over the next 7 days at least, with the GFS being backdoory. overall it looks like we'll still be above average temp wise, even if only a few degrees...

good call by adam way back for the first half of April highlighting the potential for not only much cooler weather but also the possibility of some below average temps

Verification - Mar 16-31: +10.44

Forecasts

Apr 1-15: +2

Apr 16-30: +9

Last Friday, I made a bet with my boss that PHL will see 90 between Apr 20-30. We'll see how that goes...

The trees blooming earlier than usual may cost you. Does the winner get to spend a day at the beach with the signs of spring ladies? I see Ray on here, so I'll add does the loser have to fly to Elko to experience a duststorm? :unsure:

Forecasts

Last Friday, I made a bet with my boss that PHL will see 90 between Apr 20-30. We'll see how that goes...

The trees blooming earlier than usual may cost you.

I'll take the under as well. 80+ is definitely do-able after 4/15...just not sure we get to 90 in the 2nd half of the month.

I see Ray on here, so I'll add does the loser have to fly to Elko to experience a duststorm? :unsure:

Winnemucca or Lovelock are surer bets, closer to the source region for most of the big ones. ;)

Here's the vis from earlier on Saturday, the two METAR plots are Lovelock and Winnemucca, fully enshrouded.

post-39-0-05113800-1333370807.jpg

Yup, plus lower albedo for leaves vs bare ground.

Yes and since we had to no snow on the ground to reflect the sun' rays, the ground temps were allowed to increase substantially. Ground temps above 52- 55 degrees permitted earlier budding of the trees, bushes and as of now, even new grass seed. The little bit of rain showers we had in the last five days have allowed moisture to get into the top layer of the soil profile to help with the budding process. Lets hope we can an inch of rain here too to continue the budding process otherwise we will have fruit trees with a lot of buds and blossoms hanging on longer just waiting for a significant freeze. With the ground dying out this week, everything will look nice, but this may change come the end of April. There was absolutely no runoff from these showers IMHO and this did not help the streams. There were more fishermen in the stream in my backyard than were fishing on the bank because the streams are running below base flow.

Not sure where else to post this, but given the general warmth we have and are experiencing does anyone believe that we could be seeing more tropical cyclonic activity this year making it's presence felt up the eastern seaboard? Since the ocean waters should be running above normal come hurricane season, thus supporting tropical disturbances in the higher latitudes.

Not sure where else to post this, but given the general warmth we have and are experiencing does anyone believe that we could be seeing more tropical cyclonic activity this year making it's presence felt up the eastern seaboard? Since the ocean waters should be running above normal come hurricane season, thus supporting tropical disturbances in the higher latitudes.

EC landfalls are more about the positioning of the subtropical ridge than the SSTs along the Eastern Seaboard. As far as I know, there is no correlation with Eastern Seaboard SSTs and landfalling tropical cyclones.

EC landfalls are more about the positioning of the subtropical ridge than the SSTs along the Eastern Seaboard. As far as I know, there is no correlation with Eastern Seaboard SSTs and landfalling tropical cyclones.

Could SST's influence the position of the ridge? Just throwing that out there...

Could SST's influence the position of the ridge? Just throwing that out there...

Some of the guys I work with try to use SSTAs to determine where the location of the ridge will be. In practice, personally, I don't find it useful at all and I know guys on the board like HM and Vawxman laugh at the method of forecasting. I can go further with my views on that method if you want, but it might be an esoteric discussion.

FWIW, our in house proprietary method does have a significant East Coast threat this year.

Some of the guys I work with try to use SSTAs to determine where the location of the ridge will be. In practice, personally, I don't find it useful at all and I know guys on the board like HM and Vawxman laugh at the method of forecasting. I can go further with my views on that method if you want, but it might be an esoteric discussion.

OK, just curious... figured you would have an opinion ;) If Brian thinks its crap, then its probably crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Forecasts

Would April 16 or 17 count if it happened? Funny thing the leaf out has slowed a bit because of the chilly recent weather, but we have been so bone dry that we have easily been doing +16 to +17C over 850mb temps.

Archived