• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Next week's storm, Changes, Snow threats beyond (Part 2)

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I started noticing on guidance today is that for the Thursday storm, there could be the threat of some marginal icing in the interior. Too far out to say much in the way of detail.

Yeah...I thought there was potential for icing over parts of the elevated interior up here a couple days ago so long as we can keep the sfc low south of us. Now that it looks a little interesting we'll probably see the BL get torched in future runs.

Yeah...I thought there was potential for icing over parts of the elevated interior up here a couple days ago so long as we can keep the sfc low south of us. Now that it looks a little interesting we'll probably see the BL get torched in future runs.

Some convective stuff Thursday?

The system is pretty potent down south

Perhaps the most positive sign of this winter. Many had totally written Thursday off early as nothing but a rain storm for all. Although still a rain storm for most the guidance continues to come in colder. It was pointed out on Thursday that the Euro ENS seemed to indicate that colder scenarios were on the table.

This. It hicupped a bit overnight and the morning but we got these clues 2 days ago and now they have come back.

This is a part of the shift in pattern. But the most obvious sign of a pattern change is Will's increasingly frequent posting. That is a serious teleconnection.

The icing part has a real possibility i think with the thurs storm, Mtns and northern areas could end up with snow/sleet with a mixed bag down this way if the colder trend continues

lol the nam and 18z gfs are so different, only Maine gets snow on the nam, and even they look to flip. There is some icing modeled in southern/central VT on the nam though...so the ice might be a legit threat but will it be for Will or Pete or Powderfreak?

I seriously doubt there'll be icing in your/Will's neck of the woods...LOL. PF definitely and maybe Pete.

WTF? Sensationalizing in order to garner support? Yeah that's definitely how I get my kicks, trying to "garner support" on an online forum.

The reason I'm arguing is because that's definitely not our first concern. Sure it can feedback on itself as Will suggests, but plant a mega low over Alaska and over Greenland, the reason we're not getting snow here isn't because of insufficient snow cover to our west.

Regardless of the rationale, that is what you were doing.

No one is saying it is the first concern, nor the most prominent reason as to why we aren't getting snow....but it doesn't help and is of a detriment.

Thats not to say there may be a trend toward icing in SNH or NW Mass, but its the 18z GFS ;)

The Euro was the most wintry of any model...it showed even a start as snow here probably...but looked like there could be a few hours of ice too...I put the probability pretty low. But its not zero.

well, messenger said outside 100 hours is a crap shoot...but the model plots themselves in the post were for 168 hr verification.

The Euro has been forecasting phanton snows in SNE for Monday for a couple of days, I'm sure it'll pull the plug on that finally tonight. Any model outside of 100 or so hours is going to struggle.

What does "***ECMWF***" mean?

CLOSED UPPER LOW OVER TEXAS TUESDAY MORNING MOVES TO THE CAROLINAS

WEDNESDAY...THEN MOVES UP THE COAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. A

NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE OVER ALBERTA DIGS OVER THE GREAT LAKES

WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...MERGING THE TWO STREAMS AND

EVENTUALLY ABSORBING THE SOUTHERN STREAM LOW. THE GFS AND

***ECMWF*** DISAGREE ON HOW FAST THIS WILL OCCUR...THE GFS DOES THIS

BEFORE THE SOUTHERN LOW REACHES NEW ENGLAND WHILE THE ***ECMWF***

WAITS UNTIL IT REACHES THE MARITIMES.

The Euro has been forecasting phanton snows in SNE for Monday for a couple of days, I'm sure it'll pull the plug on that finally tonight. Any model outside of 100 or so hours is going to struggle.

just clarifying what the confusion was for tip. Yes, I don't take any specific threat super seriously outside of 100 hours. Some of the pooping of the euro lately is somewhat unfounded because it's usually a phantom low that it happens to blow up 144 hours out and then loses it after a run or two. It's mostly about "MBY" rather than what model actually verifies more correctly with synoptic features. But the idea of a pattern change is a solid one. Of course, you can believe whatever you want.

What does "***ECMWF***" mean?

CLOSED UPPER LOW OVER TEXAS TUESDAY MORNING MOVES TO THE CAROLINAS

WEDNESDAY...THEN MOVES UP THE COAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. A

NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE OVER ALBERTA DIGS OVER THE GREAT LAKES

WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...MERGING THE TWO STREAMS AND

EVENTUALLY ABSORBING THE SOUTHERN STREAM LOW. THE GFS AND

***ECMWF*** DISAGREE ON HOW FAST THIS WILL OCCUR...THE GFS DOES THIS

BEFORE THE SOUTHERN LOW REACHES NEW ENGLAND WHILE THE ***ECMWF***

WAITS UNTIL IT REACHES THE MARITIMES.

Its the euro model

Archived