Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, the 12Z GFS SNE thing, sure it'll probably be in ET transition by then, a sloppy storm. Might still have something like an eye. The rain will all be on the front end and mainly West of the track. But if the SNE subforum has another house party in Chatham, Josh would be the guest of honor, and it could be like an SNE/SoCal Tropiclique meetup.

like I said in the other threads...as long as Hispaniola doesn't do the ol' suck-n-screw I think you have a Cat 2 (maybe a 3) at landfall in South Carolina. I said Hilton Head initially as my landfall guess but I reserve the right to adjust up the coast as needed. :lol:

You posted this last night, and although things have shifted a bit, it could still be in play. I'm thinking further up the coast now-- for obvious reasons-- but who knows?

If my work schedule works out I'll be making the trek down south (hopefully SC) Friday (or Thursday if I can get the whole day off). I imagine Jason will be down there for sure. My biggest concern right now is timing the landfall, though there should be a good chunk of time for daytime footage as the stronger winds roll through.

Good luck, and I hope to see you down there!

Good luck to you, too, dude! :)

Dumb luck -- Am down in OBX until next Sunday (8/28).

Come'on Irene !

Wave heights were unusually low 8/21.

Wow-- you might be perfectly situated for this. :sun:

What type of boat are you going to use to chase the center? :whistle: In all seriousness, this looks like a NC or OBX hit more than a SC/GA lf, if a hit at all.

Neg Nancy.

Just hit me up Josh if it's a northern SC hit from say Georgetown on North to state line. At the very least can help you navigate . PM me i'll send you my contact info , if you need anything while your out here I'll do my best to accomodate ....

I appreciate that so much-- thank you! :) It's funny, because Myrtle Beach is right in my hot zone right now-- where I'm thinking I may be kind of headed toward.

Josh-

I will be traveling this weekend too to see this thing. If the 6Z guidance verifies and that is a BIG if, what day do you think they will be closing roads along the coastal areas? from NJ down through SC? As of now, my plans are to drive in to Ocean City, MD Thursday night. I am quite certain that this is early enough but you never know and I want to make sure I dont miss this.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help in advance.

These are great questions and I don't have the answers. We'll have to ask locals.

It's appears I'm chasing Irene whether I like it or not. Currently scheduled for a 4-day Disney cruise with my wife and daughter Thursday-Sunday out of Canaveral through the Bahamas. Flying to Orlando Wed AM.

Ahhh, no. No cruise insurance! Argh!!

:lmao:

Fun, fun. (Minus the wife and kid. :D)

If some of these model runs from 06z and the euro come true I won't have to chase anywhere as it would track across eastern parts of NC.

If I;m in the area, we'll have to meet up afterward to say hey.

I believe that last landfall of a hurricane in Georgia was David in 1979. The last major was back in 1898.

Correct.

You, sir, win the TornadoTony/HurricaneJosh Semi-Useless Weather Trivia award for today.

:thumbsup:

I've always felt like you and I are the same thing in our respective kingdoms (severe and tropical).

:scooter:

Hush. :D

I'll add: From Isabel in 2003...you can FORGET trying to get to the barrier islands along the cost near Morehead City. Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, etc...have very, very strict police officers and will not allow access. To quote one of the officers, "I don't care....I'll put you in jail cause I feel like it and you can tell it to the judge AFTER the storm". It's on video (edited out of this clip:

)

Wow-- they're hardcore! Good to know.

Just so's ya know, Josh, I've already started archiving. Not every single image attm, but the "2011Irene" folder's already being occupied with subfolders, images, etc. etc.

Gonna be a long week. Or short, depending on one's POV.

Bob! Thanks so much. That is awesome. I will eMail you.

Promise you'll come to Columbia if you decide on Charleston? :)

If I'm that close, it would be awesome to meet up afterward.

I've never been there, but as far as having well developed civilization with nice homes and plam trees to bend, I think Charleston would produce excellent video.

Hoping for a daytime landfall near the NHC track...

Charleston is awesome. I've been there once and it really is a nice town.

This is the truth unless you know someone that owns property and can get in a few days beforehand getting on the south facing islands is impossible. Which sucks cause if this thing comes in ILM to MHX those islands are gonna get hammered....

Yeah, if it's heading that way, I'm going to try to get there really early-- like, a couple of days in advance.

i think you should chase if she hits MA...and i will bring you food and logistical support!

Awwwww. :wub:

Honestly, if it's that far N, I probably won't chase it-- I'll let you guys enjoy the whole thing! :)

I'll be chasing on the MD/DE/NJ Coast if that the GFS is right and it emerges off of NC and heads north..

Good luck with it. If it takes that GFS track, you'll get some action, for sure.

The biggest safety threat at landfall will be crashing your car into all the chasers.

Yep.

This.

Even Reed Timmer and the TVN crew are going to be going after this thing... massive chaser convergence on 1000 ft. of beachfront.

Yep. As I've said in other threads, everyone and their grandma is going to be chasing this. (No clue who Reed Timmer is-- I'm so off in my own little world with regard to chasing.)

I'm going to do my best to just do my own thing and steer clear of everyone else. As a chaser, I'm a harsh misanthrope.

I might go chasing if this is looking more like an SC hit. Although the projected intensity will probably be too much for a first timer like me to handle :arrowhead:

Awwww. :D

Afternoon update:

* I'm trying not to overreact to that crappy GFS run.

* The Euro provides a nice counterbalance to the GFS's near-fish scenario.

* I'm not making any hard decisions until the G-IV data is ingested into the models, the fruits of which we'll see tonight.

* The area from Charleston, SC, to Morehead City, NC, is of greatest interest to me right now.

Can't wait to see what happens with the models tonight.

post-19-0-53454300-1314041952.gif

Weed Trimmer always tries to do hurricanes...and always fails. Every seen any good footage from him.....NO! He should stick to tornadoes...he's good at that.

You bring up a really good point: chasing hurricanes and chasing tornadoes are completely different specialties. Me-- I'm 100% hurricane all the way.

Weed Trimmer always tries to do hurricanes...and always fails. Every seen any good footage from him.....NO! He should stick to tornadoes...he's good at that.

He had waves splashing over the seawall videos from Ike. Not I-Cyclone stuff at all hurricane wise, but he takes stupid risk in tornadoes (the smashed window, glass/blood an eight of an inch from his eye was classic) and unlike some people, he actually sells DVDs of his tornado chases.

Josh

I appreciate that so much-- thank you! :) It's funny, because Myrtle Beach is right in my hot zone right now-- where I'm thinking I may be kind of headed toward.

Your welcome

Alittle heads up if your planning on coming here better get in here early as most likely you will not be allowed into town once if any evacuations begin. This is a easy town as I see it to cordon off. This will be my first real hurricane up close and personal so i'm excited but apprehensive as living here I have alittle bit more to be concerned about then say a chaser. So we'll see how this thing plays out over the coming days. Good luck to all who post and live here oughta be a pretty interesting next couple of days.....

Josh, just got word from a graduate of our program that is currently doing radar research over at OU.

"OU, NSSL, and Texas Tech (possibly others as well) are bringing at least 4 mobile radars, 2 mobile mesonets and a trailer of Sticknet's to the east coast for a hurricane intercept this weekend. thought you all would like to know..."

I love it here perfect climate at least for me coming from MD. Well def look me up Josh when you hit the ground i'll send you a pm here in a bit with my info . And the meeting this morning at work was an eye opener thats for sure....

I haven't been there. I'm very curious about it, actually. I have been the Charleston.

Didn't he get some pretty decent stuff from the police station in Katrina?

I can't say that rings a bell. Who did get the key footage in Katrina was Jim Edds, Mike Theiss, Jim Reed, Chris Collura, Jeff Gammons, Doug Kiesling.

He had waves splashing over the seawall videos from Ike. Not I-Cyclone stuff at all hurricane wise, but he takes stupid risk in tornadoes (the smashed window, glass/blood an eight of an inch from his eye was classic) and unlike some people, he actually sells DVDs of his tornado chases.

I don't think he's sold his seawall footage. Others like Jim Reed (we were actually talking with him while he was shooting it), David Drummond/Steve Miller, TX, George Kournous, Chris Collura, myself, and a couple others were the ones with the Seawall footage most seen.

Archived