• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

Well... Irene is now a hurricane, and I think I'm going to go after this one. A few reasons:

* There's clearly a spectacular upper-air pattern, given that it strengthened while the center traversed mountainous Puerto Rico. This bodes well for future intensification.

* It seems to be really gaining some latitude this morning-- enough so it might not get totally thrashed by Shredderola.

* The models are pretty-much unanimous that this will hit the SE USA.

* The NHC admits in the latest Discussion that the 95 kt landfall intensity could be conservative.

On the minus side, this is one of those irritating Floyd-esque tracks, where the motion will roughly parallel the FL-to-NC curve-- meaning landfall can kind of happen anywhere, and there could be a ton of driving involved.

On the plus side, the idea of getting there a couple of days in advance and having some time to really navigate into position properly-- without it being a race against the clock-- is really appealing-- especially after my last couple of Mexican chases, which were really harsh rush jobs.

Going to bed now-- will make a firm decision in the morning.

post-19-0-63211500-1314006089.gif

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... Irene is now a hurricane, and I think I'm going to go after this one. A few reasons:

* There's clearly a spectacular upper-air pattern, given that it strengthened while the center traversed mountainous Puerto Rico. This bodes well for future intensification.

* It seems to be really gaining some latitude this morning-- enough so it won't get totally thrashed by Shredderola.

* The models are pretty-much unanimous that this will hit the SE USA.

* The NHC admits in the latest Discussion that the 95 kt landfall intensity could be conservative.

On the minus side, this is one of those irritating Floy-esque tracks, where the motion roughly parallels the FL-to-NC curve, and landfall can kind of happen anywhere.

On the plus side, the idea of getting there a couple of days in advance and having some time to really navigate into position preoperly is really appealing-- especially after my last couple of Mexican chases, which were harsh rush jobs.

Going to bed now-- will make a firm decision in the morning.

post-19-0-63211500-1314006089.gif

Perhaps I will see you out there. This one may very well come in range for me to chase as well :)

Oh, in terms of landfall points, I'm getting a SC vibe right now-- the NHC track will probably shift right-- but I also think this chase is going to involve lots of driving and lots of gas. I think it might be very hard to pinpoint the landfall location until late in the game.

That's cool-- no biggie. Like I said, anything will be easier than the last two Mexican chases I did. :D

Oh, in terms of landfall points, I'm getting a SC vibe right now-- the NHC track will probably shift right-- but I also think this chase is going to involve lots of driving and lots of gas. I think it might be very hard to pinpoint the landfall location until late in the game.

That's cool-- no biggie. Like I said, anything will be easier than the last two Mexican chases I did. :D

Awesome Josh, look forward to your posts, live from HSE.

A Hugo track :P

There is some uniquely exotic and adventurous about chasing a "foreign" hurricane though-- you have to admit that, Josh. ;)

Agree that starting in SC looks good for now. That way you're at a good midpoint in case you need to dash toward GA or up to NC.

Yup-- exactly.

Awesome Josh, look forward to your posts, live from HSE.

Thanks, Steve!

P.S. We finally broke the no-'cane streak with No. 9. I was starting to worry. :D

A Hugo track :P

There is some uniquely exotic and adventurous about chasing a "foreign" hurricane though-- you have to admit that, Josh. ;)

Oh there is, and I'm darn proud of those expeditions-- they're great war stories-- but I also think they took days off of my life. I don't want that kinda stress every time I chase a cyclone :D

Yup-- exactly.

Thanks, Steve!

P.S. We finally broke the no-'cane streak with No. 9. I was starting to worry. :D

Oh there is, and I'm darn proud of those expeditions-- they're great war stories-- but I also think they took days off of my life. I don't want that kinda stress every time I chase a cyclone :D

This actually brings back some memories for me; Hugo was the first major CONUS landfall that I remember :D Were you still up here back in 89? I still remember how gusty it was up here as it tracked well to our west.

like I said in the other threads...as long as Hispaniola doesn't do the ol' suck-n-screw I think you have a Cat 2 (maybe a 3) at landfall in South Carolina. I said Hilton Head initially as my landfall guess but I reserve the right to adjust up the coast as needed. :lol:

If my work schedule works out I'll be making the trek down south (hopefully SC) Friday (or Thursday if I can get the whole day off). I imagine Jason will be down there for sure. My biggest concern right now is timing the landfall, though there should be a good chunk of time for daytime footage as the stronger winds roll through.

Good luck, and I hope to see you down there!

Just hit me up Josh if it's a northern SC hit from say Georgetown on North to state line. At the very least can help you navigate . PM me i'll send you my contact info , if you need anything while your out here I'll do my best to accomodate ....

Yup-- exactly.

Thanks, Steve!

Josh-

I will be traveling this weekend too to see this thing. If the 6Z guidance verifies and that is a BIG if, what day do you think they will be closing roads along the coastal areas? from NJ down through SC? As of now, my plans are to drive in to Ocean City, MD Thursday night. I am quite certain that this is early enough but you never know and I want to make sure I dont miss this.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help in advance.

I don't recall a hurricane ever making landfall off of the Georgia coast. Does anyone have statistics of this?

off the top of my head...I want to say they have NEVER had a hurricane make landfall...but it also might have been more like "not within 50 years" or something. Nonetheless, it is rare...very, very rare.

off the top of my head...I want to say they have NEVER had a hurricane make landfall...but it also might have been more like "not within 50 years" or something. Nonetheless, it is rare...very, very rare.

I believe that last landfall of a hurricane in Georgia was David in 1979. The last major was back in 1898.

I'll add: From Isabel in 2003...you can FORGET trying to get to the barrier islands along the cost near Morehead City. Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, etc...have very, very strict police officers and will not allow access. To quote one of the officers, "I don't care....I'll put you in jail cause I feel like it and you can tell it to the judge AFTER the storm". It's on video (edited out of this clip:

)

I'll add: From Isabel in 2003...you can FORGET trying to get to the barrier islands along the cost near Morehead City. Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, etc...have very, very strict police officers and will not allow access. To quote one of the officers, "I don't care....I'll put you in jail cause I feel like it and you can tell it to the judge AFTER the storm". It's on video (edited out of this clip:

)

This is the truth unless you know someone that owns property and can get in a few days beforehand getting on the south facing islands is impossible. Which sucks cause if this thing comes in ILM to MHX those islands are gonna get hammered....

Archived