Welcome to American Weather
  • Announcements

• Wow

BOARD UPGRADE   07/13/2016

As you have noticed, the board has been given a major upgrade.  There are still currently a lot of processes running in the background to complete the upgrade so expect some slow periods.  If you come across any errors, please feel free to post in the Forum Info forum to let us know.  IMPORTANT: YOU MUST LOGIN WITH YOUR DISPLAY NAME.  LOGIN NAMES ARE NO LONGER USED TO LOGIN. Thanks for your patience today!
Hoosier

Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

1,565 posts in this topic

Had the opportunity to sit in on a presentation tonight by the EM director from Joplin. Some notes from his speech.

7,500 residential homes damaged or destroyed

9,200 residents displaced

530 businesses destroyed

30 businesses will not be returning

4,500 employees affected

17,000 tetanus shots given out

The hospital saw an increase of 100 patients every 15 minutes yet the hospital (St Johns) evacuated totally in 90 minutes.

The hospital moved into a basketball arena and they were doing surgery within an hour of opening.

At one point, ambulances waiting to transport were 4 wide and 20 deep.

Freeman Hospital had 10 deep waiting for each of 4 operating rooms.

100% of primary streets were cleared 36hrs after the storm.

5000 emergency services personnel from 435 different agencies responded.

6 total passes were made looking for survivors.

Last alive was rescued on Tuesday.

The tornado removed 31 man hole covers which have never been found.

Three fire trucks destroyed.

Two fire stations destroyed.

3 million cubic yards of debris removed.

90-10 split of reimbursement.

Most sheltered at any point 650

2977 mobile housing units ordered.

569 families needed temp housing.

Currently 453 remain in temp housing.

118,197 volunteers registered for duty

720,834 hours of volunteer service logged.

54 percent of the city has been rebuilt or is being rebuilt at 9 months.

St Johns did NOT shift off its foundation. The upper three floors tilted 3".

Had the opportunity to sit in on a presentation tonight by the EM director from Joplin. Some notes from his speech.

530 businesses destroyed

4,500 employees affected

The hospital saw an increase of 100 patients every 15 minutes yet the hospital (St Johns) evacuated totally in 90 minutes.

The hospital moved into a basketball arena and they were doing surgery within an hour of opening.

Amazing stats. It's great that the person that was rescued on Tuesday was in fact rescued, but man that had to be hell up until the rescuing. The missing man hole covers is interesting as well.

Amazing stats. It's great that the person that was rescued on Tuesday was in fact rescued, but man that had to be hell up until the rescuing. The missing man hole covers is interesting as well.

Exactly what I thought. Those things are heavy and probably imbedded themselves into other larger pieces of debris. Very intresting facts.

Did he say manhole covers? I wonder if he was talking about the street ones or the water ones as well? The street ones are huge and heavy and in the road. The water ones are lighter and are just 'lids' that sit on top of the grass on the openings for the water shut-off valve in front of residences.

The water company had to go up and down every street in the area looking for missing covers that either disappeared or were destroyed by heavy equipment running over them, they did this before winter set in so the shut-off valves wouldn't freeze.

Did he say manhole covers? I wonder if he was talking about the street ones or the water ones as well? The street ones are huge and heavy and in the road. The water ones are lighter and are just 'lids' that sit on top of the grass on the openings for the water shut-off valve in front of residences.

The water company had to go up and down every street in the area looking for missing covers that either disappeared or were destroyed by heavy equipment running over them, they did this before winter set in so the shut-off valves wouldn't freeze.

I remember looking through Tim Marshall's pics on FB awhile back from Joplin. There was a picture of a missing man hole cover in the street. I thought that was amazing in itself, but if there were 30 more instances like that, that's really amazing.

I remember looking through Tim Marshall's pics on FB awhile back from Joplin. There was a picture of a missing man hole cover in the street. I thought that was amazing in itself, but if there were 30 more instances like that, that's really amazing.

Yeah, it was reported that there were missing manhole covers and there was one that I saw, but I had no idea there were so many others missing. Those things are hard to get up as it is since they usually have the road sealer around them and sit even with or even below the road surface itself. I guess this was probably a pressure thing from underground as the tornado went over?

530 businesses destroyed

4,500 employees affected

Wow.

Actually I figured it out. Probably the low pressure inside the tornado that forced those off. Wind Speed alone can't do it since the surface is parallel. So manhole covers make a crude barometer.

Wow.

Actually I figured it out. Probably the low pressure inside the tornado that forced those off. Wind Speed alone can't do it since the surface is parallel. So manhole covers make a crude barometer.

And what would be the reading on that barometer?

We could probably take into account the mass m of the manhole cover, the area of its surface facing the outside A, the earth's gravity g, and the air pressure P0 underneath the manhole cover before it is lifted. That way we can find the difference in pressure from outside the sewer to inside the sewer DP, that is just below the absolute lowest possible, and the pressure outside P.

So, perhaps it would be something like this:

DP = m . g / A.

P < P0 - DP.

Yea, he def said "man hole cover". Not sure if there is a different cover that means that there though. Ill trust you on that one.

The location of this video (Over by JHS has been posted)

It was taken at 24th and Minnesota, it's on the same street as the Home Security video posted above but 3 blocks farther north. The NWS survey has the center crossing very close to this house.

Lot of cussing:

President Obama will be the commencement speaker at the JHS graduation ceremony on May 21st 2012. One day before the tornado hit a year ago.

It was taken at 24th and Minnesota, it's on the same street as the Home Security video posted above but 3 blocks farther north. The NWS survey has the center crossing very close to this house.

Lot of cussing:

Wonder how close this was to the EF-5 damage that occurred near the high school.

Lot of cussing:

Those people are incredibly lucky

Wonder how close this was to the EF-5 damage that occurred near the high school.

That damage was 1 block west and 1 block north of the vid basically. I've always thought the center was probably a bit farther north when compared to the survey or the tornado had a much stronger northern side when compared to the south side, if that makes sense.

The tornado was taking a bit of a north jog at this time so the people in that house were extremely lucky.

That damage was 1 block west and 1 block north of the vid basically. I've always thought the center was probably a bit farther north when compared to the survey or the tornado had a much stronger northern side when compared to the south side, if that makes sense.

The tornado was taking a bit of a north jog at this time so the people in that house were extremely lucky.

Wow, that's real close.

Just by looking at GE the damage just northwest of that location looks very bad.

jopz.jpg

jop2i.jpg

Here are some pictures that my brother took a week after the tornado. They are mostly from 24th and Iowa where my aunt lived with a few from Hampshire Terrace apartments. Thankfully my aunt had a basement and she survived unscathed. Its was surreal to see this kind of destruction firsthand and definitely shows how powerful mother nature can be.

http://brittoglesby.smugmug.com/gallery/18227413_FZ9dWp/1401434543_vPdfRrG#!i=1401434543&k=vPdfRrG

Here are some pictures that my brother took a week after the tornado. They are mostly from 24th and Iowa where my aunt lived with a few from Hampshire Terrace apartments. Thankfully my aunt had a basement and she survived unscathed. Its was surreal to see this kind of destruction firsthand and definitely shows how powerful mother nature can be.

http://brittoglesby....34543&k=vPdfRrG

Thanks for posting these. These are high quality pics of some of the area depicted in cyclone77's circled area. I found a lot of them very interesting. Considering how tightly packed the houses were, it's difficult to tell if some of these would have the foundations completely swept clean or not but it's obvious there was complete failure in a lot of the houses in this area. I think the pic of the rebar/concreted pole is interesting as well as the pic of two of the metal poles bent facing each other.

http://brittoglesby....34543&k=vPdfRrG

Excellent photo set, thanks for posting. There's a lot to be gleaned from them about the microdynamics of a strong tornado in a densely populated area.

Still seeing a lot of Spring Break groups here in Joplin helping out.

AP ran an article today about Joplin and New Orleans.

http://www.columbiat...-common-ground/

It was interesting they put this in the article:

Joplin also lacks the history of political corruption, cronyism and internecine squabbling that has long characterized New Orleans.

"New Orleans has a history of ineffective government. It's going to be harder for them to get things on track, compared to Joplin," said David McEntire, a professor of emergency administration and planning at the University of North Texas who studies global responses to natural disasters.

The 150,000 sq ft component hospital for Mercy/St John's is almost complete. This will be the permanent structure until the actual hospital is rebuilt. It is made up of 224 structural steel components that have came from California to Joplin via truck. When it's completed in April it will be the quickest and largest acute care hospital ever constructed in the US.

http://news.yahoo.co...-071245033.html

The Facebook page Joplin Tornado Info, as well as Branson Tornado Info (which made their page in January before they were hit by a tornado on Feb 28th) have information about the use of social media for disaster recovery.

It's a good read, especially if you are interested in making a page for your city.

This is a PDF document:

http://extension.mis...20disasters.pdf

And Joplin tornado sirens will only go off the first Monday of the month after the silent siren testing hardware is installed.

A medical team from the destroyed Mercy St. John's Hospital in Joplin is sharing their experiences here in my Michiana neck of the woods at South Bend Memorial Hospital and at a conference at Notre Dame. Good to learn disaster preparedness procedures for hospitals from those who were directly impacted. Good coverage of their visit by our local news media, especially since the recent tornados in Henryville IN and Dexter MI.

City of Joplin ordered 4,000 Midland WR-120 weather radios with a Red Cross $50,000 donation and donations from the Joplin First Response tornado fund.

They got the first shipment of 800 in and gave them out at 3 local fire stations today and I believe they were all given away. You had to provide a photo ID and proof of residence, also people were required to sign an agreement that they would not sell the weather radio.