• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 1982 Blizzard

The April 1982 Blizzard is on my all time favorite storms list.

Whiteout conditions coupled with lightning and afternoon

temperatures in the 20's were remarkable for early April.

Being one of the few blizzards for our area that featured three

consecutive days of record low temperatures really stands out.

The January 1982 arctic outbreak showed the degree of cold

that the pattern that year was capable of producing.

it was a great storm...It was a real Blizzard in the Poconos with temperatures in the teens at the height of the storm...I measured 13.5" up there...That evening after the plow came I drove home to Brooklyn...It was still flurrying a bit but there were very few cars on the roads so I made it home pretty fast for those conditions...When I got home to Brooklyn there was around 8" on the ground...The next day the max was 30 which is April's coldest of all time...A few days later I returned to the Poconos and they picked up another 2" of snow...After that Spring sprung and May's minimum was only 49 which set the record for the warmest minimum for any May...

The April 1982 Blizzard is on my all time favorite storms list.

Whiteout conditions coupled with lightning and afternoon

temperatures in the 20's were remarkable for early April.

Being one of the few blizzards for our area that featured three

consecutive days of record low temperatures really stands out.

The January 1982 arctic outbreak showed the degree of cold

that the pattern that year was capable of producing.

We had a really good January and April that winter, but why were December, February and March so lackluster?

BTW this blizzard is my first snowstorm memory :snowman::thumbsup:

We had a really good January and April that winter, but why were December, February and March so lackluster?

BTW this blizzard is my first snowstorm memory :snowman::thumbsup:

That's how the 80's went around here.

You had to be happy with the few memorable snows that we were able to get.arrowheadsmiley.png

That's how the 80's went around here.

You had to be happy with the few memorable snows that we were able to get.arrowheadsmiley.png

But in that particular year, the month of January was a great winter month (snow and cold). Alex is correct about nothing doing in February and March, but at least it wasn't just two days of winter.

Here is my page on the April 1982 blizzard, including photos from northeast Nassau County the next day (I was off from school and in NYC for the blizzard...great thundersnow while I was walking on 7th Avenue).

http://www.northshor...om/19820406.asp

But in that particular year, the month of January was a great winter month (snow and cold). Alex is correct about nothing doing in February and March, but at least it wasn't just two days of winter.

Here is my page on the April 1982 blizzard, including photos from northeast Nassau County the next day (I was off from school and in NYC for the blizzard...great thundersnow while I was walking on 7th Avenue).

http://www.northshor...om/19820406.asp

I was watching a re-enactment of the Air Florida disaster recently, and it was amazing to hear about how cold it actually was. We had a two week period of severe arctic cold leading up to that big snowstorm and from the records Will posted, it looked like a long duration heavy snowfall. It certainly was an awesome month, and considering how cold it was, I bet the snow cover was of long duration also. What happened in April with the extreme cold and the snow is probably something we're likely to never see again. I'd say that's rarer than a 2 foot snowstorm in February and "more" historic.

I was watching a re-enactment of the Air Florida disaster recently, and it was amazing to hear about how cold it actually was. We had a two week period of severe arctic cold leading up to that big snowstorm and from the records Will posted, it looked like a long duration heavy snowfall. It certainly was an awesome month, and considering how cold it was, I bet the snow cover was of long duration also. What happened in April with the extreme cold and the snow is probably something we're likely to never see again. I'd say that's rarer than a 2 foot snowstorm in February and "more" historic.

The April 6, 1982 blizzard was as rare an occurence as I can think of around here.

This photo is from January 23, 1982:

post-290-0-23131800-1301606794.jpg

1982 and 1983 were pretty good for snow.

Blizzard of 1982 and the Blizzard of 1983.

Both storms had amazing CCBs and deformation bands with thunder and lightning, something largely missing from the majority of the big winter events the last 15 years other than 12/30/00, 2/12/06, and of course several events this winter...the 96 blizzard, the 09 December storm, and a few others though were relatively lacking in that area.

Both storms had amazing CCBs and deformation bands with thunder and lightning, something largely missing from the majority of the big winter events the last 15 years other than 12/30/00, 2/12/06, and of course several events this winter...the 96 blizzard, the 09 December storm, and a few others though were relatively lacking in that area.

JAN 1996 had incredible banding at its height, I would think.

But Dec 26 blows 1996 out of its water.

The April 1982 Blizzard is on my all time favorite storms list.Whiteout conditions coupled with lightning and afternoon temperatures in the 20's were remarkable for early April.Being one of the few blizzards for our area that featured three consecutive days of record low temperatures really stands out. The January 1982 arctic outbreak showed the degree of cold that the pattern that year was capable of producing.

Joe D'Aleo explained that the April 1982 storm and the April 1997 storm shared in common that they were arbingers of the ongoing super El Niños, yet occurring while the cold-air supply was still relatively ample from the prior neutral or La Niña patterns.

That being said that was one of my favorite storms. I walked through New York City from job interview to job interview, seeing about four law firms that day. Then I went home and shoveled 10" of snow out of the driveway for the Passover Seder, and went on a four mile jog.

December 1981 featured a good blizzard for Boston. New York got brushed by it too, I think, but didn't get much.

Archived