• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WCBS getting new weather reader

Dark Energy

So it's a slow time in wx for the region so I figured I would post this. My link

Have no idea who she will be replacing, but I'm praying it is lonnie. He is awful.

It would suck if john marshall got bumped by a female twice in a row. He got a raw deal at WNBC when they brought in demenica davis. she has about as much knowledge about weather as first grader. But, she is a decent looking gal, and if these stations want to cut salaries and replace people with the ladies, then nothing you can do about it.

This new gal i have seen before on the accuwx channel. she's attractive, but just a reader at best. Sad that in the #1 market, only a select few tv weather people are legit.

I see a link at the bottom of the page covering this story that says craig allen got a 3 year extension. At least some good news these days.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's a slow time in wx for the region so I figured I would post this. My link

Have no idea who she will be replacing, but I'm praying it is lonnie. He is awful.

It would suck if john marshall got bumped by a female twice in a row. He got a raw deal at WNBC when they brought in demenica davis. she has about as much knowledge about weather as first grader. But, she is a decent looking gal, and if these stations want to cut salaries and replace people with the ladies, then nothing you can do about it.

This new gal i have seen before on the accuwx channel. she's attractive, but just a reader at best. Sad that in the #1 market, only a select few tv weather people are legit.

I see a link at the bottom of the page covering this story that says craig allen got a 3 year extension. At least some good news these days.

Little known fact: Craig Allen is not his real name.

Little known fact: Craig Allen is not his real name.

I think It's Craig Weiner that's how I remember him beginning at wcbs880, shortly thereafter he was a way for a couple of weeks and then it became Allen.

I think he use to live near me in Canarsie (Brooklyn) back in the early to mid 70's

A woman I dated was a neighbor of his on Long Island where he can often be found gardening .

I just think lending his name to proflowers.com is silly, I know he has reconizeable voice and name, but a top flight Meteorologist endorsing Flowers or BMW of Manhattan ?

He's a legend, no doubt, the best of the best.

• 1 month later...

Not so much

She made her first show recently. And I swear, when I saw her on the Accuwx cable channel, she looked way hotter. Now i see her on HD, not so much. All the reviews say she is nothing but a flake. Shocker! Has no met degree and only has a small course from MS State and yet they call her on air as a MET. WTF. I feel REAL bad for a fellow co-worker of mine (when I was a wx producer at NBC back in the day), John Marshall. He was a good met and he got bounced for this reader at CBS. It just sickens me. He got bounced for D. Davis on NBC too. And she is horrid as well. The NYC market is a joke right now. I even spoke to a former college friend who is in TV in DET and he told me that NYC is STAY AWAY right now b/c the word on the street is that they hire all these bimbos and the talent pool is gone. It seems if you make it in NYC now, it doesn't carry the weight that it used to. Not at all.

Anyone who wants to do TV news/weather/sports should read about the October 2, 1996 'massacre'.

I just looked it up. The name John Jonhson is a hit. Is he the same person that does the sports updates for WIP in Philly on the radio? He was an anchor on TV for CBS. If he was the same person, talk about a major hit!!

I just looked it up. The name John Jonhson is a hit. Is he the same person that does the sports updates for WIP in Philly on the radio? He was an anchor on TV for CBS. If he was the same person, talk about a major hit!!

Don't listen to WIP, but I highly doubt it. John Johnson is in that triumvirate that I mentioned with Jensen, Grimsby, and Beutel. That day, the anchors were fired after the 6:00 P.M. newscast and emergency ones were brought in for the 11:00 P.M. newscast. In fact the anchors at the other stations for the 11:00 P.M. newscast that night (especially Len Berman) were clearly visibly shaken. That night really changed news and how it was presented in NYC and maybe the nation.

More sex appeal = More viewers.

lolz. She looked good on the accuwx channel from a far. Now that I see her on hd on cbs she is no so much. She bounced a good met, john marshall. It is a sad deal that it happened. She is nothing compared to him. Nothing!

http://www.packofseven.com/tvnt/showpost.php?p=70233&postcount=46

I continue to be amazed at the sexist attitudes of the broadcast industry! Fehlinger was absolutely brilliant on AccuWeather, FOX, and The Big Ten. Yes, she is pretty, but there is much more to her than looks. Oh, and for the catty remarks by others that she is "nothing special" or "average" it is pathetic. EVERYONE on-air must look good – male of female – but men are not as harshly judged. And women, please stop perpetuating this behavior! Is there really a need to be so catty?

Friend of Katie's?

Lee Goldberg on channel 7 is an outstanding met. What a joke that Lonnie won it over him.

Yea, LQ is a joke. His presentation is so great for the market tho. He tries to make it out like he is teaching you something. Lee has a smooth delivery that is second to none. LQ tries way to hard and is hard to watch (for people who know sh*t). He is a former soap opera actor so that's all you need to know. But to folks not informed like we are, he probably comes across well. People like when you try to teach them something. I guess? It's the only basis for this award, IMO.

Well, interesting news has finally come out after the recent "weather reader" hirings in NYC. Funny, we all know they are readers and not real METS. Yet, the TV stations try to pull this crap over on the general public by introducing them as "meteorologists".

Here is a good read on the subject below and is the reason I am pissed that a good MET like John Marshall got the boot twice. He went to Kean, as I did, and he should get more respect than this. Goes to show you how the people running things are truely clueless.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/fishbowlny-investigates-the-new-crop-of-tv-meteorologists_b32836

Well, interesting news has finally come out after the recent "weather reader" hirings in NYC. Funny, we all know they are readers and not real METS. Yet, the TV stations try to pull this crap over on the general public by introducing them as "meteorologists".

Here is a good read on the subject below and is the reason I am pissed that a good MET like John Marshall got the boot twice. He went to Kean, as I did, and he should get more respect than this. Goes to show you how the people running things are truely clueless.

http://www.mediabist...ologists_b32836

As much as we like to say that things in the past were better, keep in mind that ABC first had Peter Jennings do the evening news in the mid 1960's! in his mid twenties. He didn't have a college degree and clearly wasn't prepared at that time. To his credit afterwards, he worked his way back to the top, but something like this is nothing new.

Jennings went on to great things. I highly doubt any of these readers will do so. They lack real talent, which is what Jennings truely had.

Well, when news directors see low ratings, they throw something at the wall and hope it sticks. Feel sorry for John, as WPIX is in bad shape and I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually dump the weekend newscast as My9 has done.

Well, when news directors see low ratings, they throw something at the wall and hope it sticks. Feel sorry for John, as WPIX is in bad shape and I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually dump the weekend newscast as My9 has done.

I remember when PIX11 had the great Joe Cioffi. He was great on the weekend. Then linda from the AM said she wanted to move to weekends and they cut Joe. He went to NBC but never made it. I know PIX just totally re-did their news format which really upset many people. I like Jodi Applegate and I think it is still better than fox 5. But I know the company that owns PIX is failing so who knows. They may can the whole station. Mr G would be finished, he could never go to another station with his style. At least not anymore. I read Marshall may fill in at PIX this week. Not sure why, but at least he'll be working. I know Johns wife didnt work. When i worked with him at WNBC, when i was a wx producer there, she would call him all the time about the kids. If he doesnt bring home the bacon, it would be rough times for them. He wants to stay in NYC, as anyone would. But there are no openings so he may be screwed.

I remember when PIX11 had the great Joe Cioffi. He was great on the weekend. Then linda from the AM said she wanted to move to weekends and they cut Joe. He went to NBC but never made it. I know PIX just totally re-did their news format which really upset many people. I like Jodi Applegate and I think it is still better than fox 5. But I know the company that owns PIX is failing so who knows. They may can the whole station. Mr G would be finished, he could never go to another station with his style. At least not anymore. I read Marshall may fill in at PIX this week. Not sure why, but at least he'll be working. I know Johns wife didnt work. When i worked with him at WNBC, when i was a wx producer there, she would call him all the time about the kids. If he doesnt bring home the bacon, it would be rough times for them. He wants to stay in NYC, as anyone would. But there are no openings so he may be screwed.

Mr. G has been in NY news for 30 years. There are three active anchors in NY who can say that: Mr.G, Ernie Anastos, and Kaity Tong [although she is not a main anchor anymore].

By the way, hard to believe but Frank Field is nearing 90 years old.

Mr. G has been in NY news for 30 years. There are three active anchors in NY who can say that: Mr.G, Ernie Anastos, and Kaity Tong [although she is not a main anchor anymore].

By the way, hard to believe but Frank Field is nearing 90 years old.

what they did to Kaity is sad. She's basically on the street reporting but they have her do a remote from some place so it doesnt look as bad. Frank is that old? jesus. I thought he was an eye doctor or something and not a real met? What about gabe pressman, altho not an achor, he's been around forever. Same with that dude Marv from PIX. He has the show on on sunday AM real early. He also went to IRAQ a lot for reports and won awards for his coverage. He's been around forever too.

what they did to Kaity is sad. She's basically on the street reporting but they have her do a remote from some place so it doesnt look as bad. Frank is that old? jesus. I thought he was an eye doctor or something and not a real met? What about gabe pressman, altho not an achor, he's been around forever. Same with that dude Marv from PIX. He has the show on on sunday AM real early. He also went to IRAQ a lot for reports and won awards for his coverage. He's been around forever too.

As I stated earlier, anyone considering TV news, should be forced, seriously to read about the October 2, 1996 'massacre' at channel 2.

http://www.mediabist...ologists_b32836

You are kidding, right? First off, everyone that has ties to the talent know that most all (especially NBC) talent had been getting way over-payed and this included John. Although I do not know the exact figure, I know a lot; probably more than I should. I knew he had a grueling job of doing double over the weekend, but he was making much more than what any station wants to shell out. Agents also don't help the situation. It's not 2000 any longer. The $250,000 (not saying this was John's salary) are for the most part, long gone. Folks, this is not about who can forecast and who can't; it's about money, looks, money, and bringing in cheaper, newer talent. Some are thriving on this and some are dying on this. In all honesty, in NYC, a station can get away with mediocre forecasting. If you move out to Oklahoma City, etc., that's entirely different story.

Someone should tell that new chick on WPIX11 that plastic surgery doesn't make her look any better or any younger. But now we can at least say her looks are as cheap and plastic as her personality.

In all honesty, in NYC, a station can get away with mediocre forecasting. If you move out to Oklahoma City, etc., that's entirely different story.

Disagree. IMO NYC is one of the most difficult cities in the country to forecast for, second to probably BOS. Tons of seasonal variability and the rain/snow line is usually nearby in most storms during the winter. Oklahoma City easily takes the cake for tornadoes and severe weather, but what about nor'easters and snow/sleet/freezing rain events around here? Not to mention backdoor fronts, and tropical cyclone threats.

It's all part of the dumbing down of society. Most Americans would rather remain ignorant than educate themselves w/ vast meteorologial knowledge. All they care about now is getting turned on during the weather report, and what the weather means in terms of their daily schedule. It's a shame, but it's all about ratings these days, which is also why you rarely get the truth in the majority of news stories. You've got to do the research on your own to seek out the real answers.

Archived