Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm out in Utah for the week...enjoying a ski vacation where I don't have to worry about any of the resort operations, haha. Nothing like skiing everyday and then taking time off after the busy holiday period to do more skiing ;)

We've been skiing nice left-over powder at Alta the past couple days on an 8-10 foot natural snow base, not expecting any natural snow unfortunately, but it doesn't matter, these mountains are

enjoy! , heavy heavy jealousy

Here in Burlington, I’d seen the occasional flake in the air since mid morning, but around 12:30 P.M. was when the continuous snow started to fall. Flakes were very small at first, but then became much larger (up to 1 cm) and the intensity increased. About an hour ago it started accumulating on some surfaces, although the accumulation is still just a dusting. The snowfall has slowed down in the past 15-20 minutes but it’s still falling steadily.

Not if you stuff it and bake it, Or grill it, Or smoke it, Its the best, Its a more oily fish, Just need to know how to cook it.......... ;)

Never tried it smoked, but I'm sure it would be excellent. IMO, grilling is far preferable to baking - quicker, too. (Tough this time of year, though, with the grill tucked under the back porch for winter.)

I'd planned to try Flying Pond (Mt.Vernon/Vienna) on the 1st, but 2 straight days well above freezing plus a moderately long walk on 6" (at best) ice convinced me to wait a bit. Shame, though - I've almost always had good action ice fishing on mild days, especially when the sun isn't too bright.

We've had around 1" here at 1350' in Waitsfield VT. It's taking a break right now. I hiked up Scrag mountain which is behind where we are staying and goes up to 2950' and there was maybe just over 1" up there as well as some old snow. It's not part of the green mountain spine.. just east of there, so it could be shadowed slightly by the ridge line of Lincoln and Ellen. Everything is white again finally!

As of ~5:00 P.M. in Burlington there is a fluffy ¼ to perhaps ½ inch of snow accumulation, and the snow is sticking on all surfaces. The flakes are fairly large (up to ¾ inch diameter) and there is no wind so it’s been fun watching them fall. The Greens have been hidden in snow since earlier today, but I’m heading home now so I’ll see how accumulations are going in the mountain towns.

Never tried it smoked, but I'm sure it would be excellent. IMO, grilling is far preferable to baking - quicker, too. (Tough this time of year, though, with the grill tucked under the back porch for winter.)

I'd planned to try Flying Pond (Mt.Vernon/Vienna) on the 1st, but 2 straight days well above freezing plus a moderately long walk on 6" (at best) ice convinced me to wait a bit. Shame, though - I've almost always had good action ice fishing on mild days, especially when the sun isn't too bright.

Did a lot of fishing for laker's over the years, Baked was the way to go when growing up, But brining and smoking it in a nice mild cherry wood or apple wood is awseome........ :thumbsup:

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Tuesday 1/4/2011 6:00 P.M. update: In the center of Waterbury I found roughly double the amount of new snow that I’d seen in Burlington, and at the house I found 1.1 new inches on the snowboard. At that point the snow was falling very lightly, but around 7:00 P.M. it started falling much harder with big flakes up to an inch in diameter, and as of 8:00 P.M. there was nearly another inch on the board. So the snow has been falling at close to an inch per hour due to the big flakes. Looking at the radar, this more intense snow seems to be associated with the big slug of moisture heading eastward from the Champlain Valley:

04JAN11A.gif

In terms of seasonal milestones, we did pass 50 inches of snowfall with this event, although we are still about 15 inches behind average based on my data. Hopefully this week will help us catch up, but it will be difficult because by Sunday the seasonal snowfall average is at almost 71 inches.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 22.0

Snow Density: 4.5%

Temperature: 25.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Got another 1" in the last few hours.. a little over 2" on the ground now. Very exciting!

Exciting? 2" in Vermont isn't exciting, that's what I call pathetic for January 5th. I can't believe the skiers up there are desperate for every inch whereas we still have a nice 3-5" coating on most lawns here in Westchester 10 miles from NYC. What the heck is going on up there the last couple of winters? It's as if it just decided to stop snowing in the North Country ever since January 2009. It was great up there until that point and since then winter for NNE has been a farce. Everyone expected them to do well up there this year with analogs like 07-08 and 70-71 being thrown around, but this has actually been like an El Niño winter for them in terms of snowfall, obviously not talking about temps which have been colder. We need a few good SW flow events...I'd take snow-->ice/sleet here to get the North some snow they deserve.

Event totals: 3.0” Snow/0.09” L.E.

Wednesday 1/5/2011 6:00 A.M. update: The biggest six-hour period for snowfall with this event so far at our location was the 6 P.M. to midnight block last night, where 1.4 inches fell, and then an additional 0.5 inches fell between midnight and 6:00 A.M. The intensity of the snow had picked up as I was taking the 6:00 A.M. measurements, and in his early broadcast Roger Hill said that we were in the midst of another flare up; there was actually another tenth of an inch or two of snow on the board by the time I was leaving the house:

05JAN11A.gif

Burlington picked up some additional snow overnight as well; here on the UVM campus it looks like the event total is about an inch. Below are some of the storm totals I’ve seen reported by the Vermont ski areas along the spine as of this morning, listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 4”

Killington: 3”

Some details from the midnight and 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

1/5/11 12:00 A.M.

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 46.7

Snow Density: 2.1%

Temperature: 27.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

1/5/11 6:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0%

Temperature: 25.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Exciting? 2" in Vermont isn't exciting, that's what I call pathetic for January 5th. I can't believe the skiers up there are desperate for every inch whereas we still have a nice 3-5" coating on most lawns here in Westchester 10 miles from NYC. What the heck is going on up there the last couple of winters? It's as if it just decided to stop snowing in the North Country ever since January 2009. It was great up there until that point and since then winter for NNE has been a farce. Everyone expected them to do well up there this year with analogs like 07-08 and 70-71 being thrown around, but this has actually been like an El Niño winter for them in terms of snowfall, obviously not talking about temps which have been colder. We need a few good SW flow events...I'd take snow-->ice/sleet here to get the North some snow they deserve.

certainly not great for skiing or the snowmachines - but you couldn't get much better weather for pond hockey. just gotta roll with the punches. 07 was similar until the feb blizzard and we skied 2 knee deep + storms in April with robins that year. ski season is 7 months long - they can't all be powder days

snow covered ground again (after a complete melt out) in our SW facing valley, only and inch, but the flurry continues...

Archived