• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb days 70+ (and 60+!) at DCA/BWI/IAD and DJF totals by year

Ian

Since 1897, the average number of such days for an entire winter (DJF) at Richmond is 4 days a season. 2009-10 and 2002-03 were the two most recent winters to not feature a single 70-degree day. Looks like 1975-76 has the most with 13 such days.

2010-11 so far has not featured one, but that looks to change come next week. Too bad we couldn't go another two weeks to make it two winters in a row without any 70-degree days.

Every La Nina since 70-71 has had one day or more 70+ in Feb except 88-89

2007-2008

2000-2001

1999-2000

1998-1999

1995-1996

1975-1976

1974-1975

1973-1974

1971-1972

1970-1971

Everyone who lived here that winter remembers the Jan '96 thaw that set off the massive Potomac River flood. Most will remember the February thaw too but probably not many remember the sheer extreme of our February temperature swings, with the "heat wave" coming in late February right before our last push of early March snows. IAD had a range of -10 F to 71 F, while DCA went from 5 F to 72 F.

Since 1897, the average number of such days for an entire winter (DJF) at Richmond is 4 days a season. 2009-10 and 2002-03 were the two most recent winters to not feature a single 70-degree day. Looks like 1975-76 has the most with 13 such days.

2010-11 so far has not featured one, but that looks to change come next week. Too bad we couldn't go another two weeks to make it two winters in a row without any 70-degree days.

DCA DJF is 1.4 since 1871-72 and 1.9 last 30 seasons.

09-10, 05-06, 02-03, 97-98 are most recent with 0. last back to back 0 was 92-93, 93-94.

Everyone who lived here that winter remembers the Jan '96 thaw that set off the massive Potomac River flood. Most will remember the February thaw too but probably not many remember the sheer extreme of our February temperature swings, with the "heat wave" coming in late February right before our last push of early March snows. IAD had a range of -10 F to 71 F, while DCA went from 5 F to 72 F.

Sounds wild. I was in TX. :(

Where you are you mean?

Well, yeah, I guess Randy. I guess I've just become skeptical of the modeled temps. They've busted big on the big cold forecasts, so I guess I think they will bust big on the big warm forecasts too. 70 on Friday is 26 degrees above normal for me, 23 above for you. That's pretty high. NWS seems to believe it though, so I have to respect that. They've got me at 65 for Friday. I don't really care though. If it's not going to snow, bring it on.

It's the length of time where nocturnal temperatures may fail to dip 32°F or below that is more impressive, as it appears an unsually long winter streak is set to occur. The RIC record for most consecutive dates above freezing in February is 18 days set in 1927. Obvisouly we won't beat that as there are fewer than 18 days left in the month, but it's quite possible up to 10 straight days may occur.

BTW, the January record for this was 14 straight days set in early January 2005. The previous record was 13 set in January 1906.

It's the length of time where nocturnal temperatures may fail to dip 32°F or below that is more impressive, as it appears an unsually long winter streak is set to occur. The RIC record for most consecutive dates above freezing in February is 18 days set in 1927. Obvisouly we won't beat that as there are fewer than 18 days left in the month, but it's quite possible up to 10 straight days may occur.

BTW, the January record for this was 14 straight days set in early January 2005. The previous record was 13 set in January 1906.

That is unimpressive, IMO.

In January 1932, the temperature at Baltimore failed to fall below freezing until the last day of the month. And that blowtorch included three consecutive days of 75+ temps.

That is unimpressive, IMO.

In January 1932, the temperature at Baltimore failed to fall below freezing until the last day of the month. And that blowtorch included three consecutive days of 75+ temps.

Despite the fact they are both on the coastal plain right by the fall line, the ocean has a much greater influence on Baltimore. In my opinion RIC's record is just as impressive as the Baltimore one.

Despite the fact they are both on the coastal plain right by the fall line, the ocean has a much greater influence on Baltimore. In my opinion RIC's record is just as impressive as the Baltimore one.

You do have a point. Baltimore's all time record low of -7 is probably the warmest out of any city on the Eastern seaboard, outside of Florida.

Boy the MOS tanked it today. Ideal mixing, poor initialization, both?

I think it's usually going to bust a day like this as will most forecasters. Heck, my Saturday forecast at CWG was like 15 degrees too low! Of course I thought the front would come through earlier. I don't know why MOS busted as I did not look at it yesterday but I'm sure it's part climo at least... but in a case like this if the front comes through 6 hours earlier you have pretty different daytime temps most likely. Everything was pretty ideal for max warmth.. warm start, lots of sun, big downsloping winds during peak heating.

Archived