• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 10

Hoosier

I can't get enough of people who were stranded on Lake Shore Drive blaming the city for it. They should have been removed from their cars and tossed into the lake.

awesome...exactly what I would think... people are just too dumb... its not like there wasn't warning to stay off the roads.

Looks like there is still some snow falling in MSN... Some clear spots over this way...did have some sun earlier. 8F.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome...exactly what I would think... people are just too dumb... its not like there wasn't warning to stay off the roads.

Looks like there is still some snow falling in MSN... Some clear spots over this way...did have some sun earlier. 8F.

"I was running out of gas, I was cold, I called 911 three times, my cell phone battery was dying..."

"...so I got on facebook and twitter."

:axe:

I can't get enough of people who were stranded on Lake Shore Drive blaming the city for it. They should have been removed from their cars and tossed into the lake.

You ignored all the warnings and took a road with limited exits. You took the chance, it didn't work out. That wasn't the city's fault. Hell, many of you ran out of gas. Exactly how does that happen if you pay attention to the "run the car 10 minutes every hour" rule? Oh that's right, you went to work with a 1/8 tank Tuesday morning.

I agree with this point. We certainly don't know everyone's circumstances, but generally, no one should not have been out there to begin with. The wording in LOT's products yesterday morning was explicit - get off the roads by the end of the morning. The storm did arrive faster than forecast, but the wording was there. Was expecting all driving to cease past the noon hour a realistic expectation - not at all. I know many were working a full day or close to a full day.

All of that said, the knowledge on this board was mentioning as early as this Saturday or Sunday, the possible closure of LSD due to visibility reductions or icing from the open area of the lake. It's not like the powers that be didn't know what was potentially coming. In the future, it needs to be assumed that at least a segment of the population will not fully grasp the magnitude or heed the warnings. When I think of the unique controlled, linear access that is LSD, bounded by parks, the lake, or some type of open space at least on one side of the roadway, next time, the city should shut it down preemptively. A tough call but we see what can or perhaps will otherwise happen. It is one thing to get stuck on the Kennedy or other "inland" arterial route. It is a different animal out on the Drive.

As has been mentioned, this storm will provide a multitude of socio-economic lessons and of course as always, hindsight is 20/20.

A sample of some of the CoCoRahs reports from IL this morning. New snow totals highlighted in red.

Full list found here: http://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/StateDailyPrecipReports.aspx?state=IL

2/2/2011 5:30 AM IL-CK-63 Elk Grove Village 0.6 ESE 0.74 18.0 20.0 IL Cook

2/2/2011 5:30 AM IL-FL-7 Bryant 0.1 ENE 0.87 15.6 15.9 IL Fulton

2/2/2011 6:00 AM IL-CK-75 Elk Grove Village 2.2 WSW 1.84 18.5 22.0 IL Cook

2/2/2011 6:00 AM IL-CK-143 Inverness 1.7 S 1.17 18.2 19.0 IL Cook

2/2/2011 6:00 AM IL-IR-3 Watseka 5.3 W 0.96 16.5 16.5 IL Iroquois

2/2/2011 6:00 AM IL-LK-3 Beach Park 1.4 W 3.42 20.0 24.0 IL Lake

2/2/2011 6:00 AM IL-PR-7 Peoria 2.4 SW 1.00 13.0 14.0 IL Peoria

2/2/2011 6:00 AM IL-WL-46 Peotone 0.4 ENE 1.01 15.0 17.0 IL Will

2/2/2011 6:45 AM IL-LS-1 Ottawa 1.3 NW NA 20.0 NA IL La Salle

2/2/2011 7:00 AM IL-DK-2 De Kalb 0.8 SSW 0.78 15.5 21.0 IL De Kalb

2/2/2011 7:00 AM IL-KN-67 St. Charles 6.0 NW 1.00 20.6 21.0 IL Kane

2/2/2011 7:00 AM IL-LS-25 Marseilles 5.6 WNW 1.37 20.0 25.0 IL La Salle

2/2/2011 7:00 AM IL-LV-7 Chatsworth 0.4 ESE 0.50 16.0 18.0 IL Livingston

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

843 AM CST WED FEB 02 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0830 AM SNOW 1 ESE ELK GROVE VILLAGE 42.00N 87.97W

02/02/2011 M22.0 INCH COOK IL TRAINED SPOTTER

12 HOUR SNOWFALL ENDING 8 AM. COCORAHS OBSERVER.

Not sure if this is going to work or not...

Works for me. Thanks for posting the photos. :)

Due to all the drifting I'm not sure how much we got. We do have a screen porch with the roof off that doesn't seem have much drifting inside it. I can't get in it but it's 17-19" deep around the edges, doesn't seem lower in the center.

Accurate measurements are going to be tough to attain everywhere. As usual there will be some dumb stupid low amounts and high amounts. I think a general estimation will suffice, outside of getting a core sample and figuring out the ratio and then applying it. Good luck though. :lol:

Hoosier will hate it to death :lol: , but the local TV met here was reporting a sleet/snow total of 6" as of midnight last night.

From his blog: http://blogs.wlfi.com/category/chads-wlfi-weather-blog/

Measured right at 6.0″ of sleet & snow here at WLFI with drifts to 34″ around the building. Boswell reported 7.5″. Up to 11″ has been reported in Newton County. 8.0″ reported at Peru & Denver. 6.0″ snow & sleet reported near Atlanta to much less near Cicero (2-2.5″ of sleet).

Huge flakes of snow coming down here right now, parachutes. :)

Just got my cable/internet back on here. :fever: Alas, after 8 times of power going off and on at my place last night, it stayed on through the overnight. :)

I went out and ventured about on foot and the sleet/snow pack is a freaking glacier. Literally. Pretty impressive really. Looks like we flipped to snow sometime overnight and it was coming down pretty well when I got up at 7AM. Purdue has cancelled classes today, not doubt that cancellations are more common these days it seems, but a testament to the glacier that resides in the LAF/WL area. My boss has given me a 2 hour delay of getting into work, but cars in my neighborhood can't navigate the glacier. Many have tried this morning, and all have failed. Of course he is not attempting to come into work, and I will be the only one expected to arrive. :gun_bandana: Wish me luck if he doesn't relent. Time to catch up. :)

Yeah, numerous people in my neighborhood ventured out, seems like they were able to make it. But without having alot of trouble to even get out of the driveway..

A second day of working from home. Be safe out there!

Yeah, numerous people in my neighborhood ventured out, seems like they were able to make it. But without having alot of trouble to even get out of the driveway..

A second day of working from home. Be safe out there!

There was girl here that I watched warm up her car for 30 minutes, trying to get the sleet/ice/snow off the windows. Then she tried to get of her parking spot...spun her tires, went 3 inches...shut it off and went back inside. This sleet pack is a b****. And oh man is it snowing here right now. Beautiful. :snowman:

-20F or even lower seems like a real possibility tonight outside of the city.

:yikes:

Last I saw was -9F for me. Yikes.

OK I'm going to stupidly try and at least get my wife's side of the driveway somewhat cleared. If she'll even be allowed to leave work this afternoon and get into our subdivision. I swear, we are the subdivision where all the PW employees plow everywhere but here, go home, lay down in bed, and say "whoops/. forgot a few streets" and come back.

There was girl here that I watched warm up her car for 30 minutes, trying to get the sleet/ice/snow off the windows. Then she tried to get of her parking spot...spun her tires, went 3 inches...shut it off and went back inside. This sleet pack is a b****. And oh man is it snowing here right now. Beautiful. :snowman:

My driveway is at least 3-4 higher than normal now. Everything is completely bonded together. No snow blower is going to move this stuff..

Yes the snow is a small consolation prize at least..:snowman:

Well quite a few people will have aboslutely NO (none, nada, zilch, no comprehende) right or reason AT ALL to complain (for the lack of a friendlier word) about missing a snowstorm for another 5 years.

They all live in Northern Illinois, Eastern Iowa, Southern Wisconsin, Northern Central/Western Missouri and Oklahoma (they've just been on the ball for the last 2 years anyway). Maybe even Western/Central Lower Michigan too, I'll have to confirm their totals.

My driveway is at least 3-4 higher than normal now. Everything is completely bonded together. No snow blower is going to move this stuff..

Yes the snow is a small consolation prize at least..:snowman:

It's unreal, the glacier. I'm about 180 lbs :whistle: , and I can walk on top of it for a good chunk of it without breaking through the top layer. I see some plows out here, and it looks like they're struggling to push this stuff. Still ripping snow here...nice consolation prize indeed.

Glad to be done with the Iowa and Wisconsin DOT weather forecast duties for the week. In house GFS-WRF pegged snow totals almost to the inch. Depressing calls from Wisconsin early this morning. One fatality near Wausau yesterday morning. Car lost control and slid under a tanker truck. Another gentleman was seeking a forecast time for when a rescue operation could be safely accomplished. Apparently some kids took a joyride with limited winter apparel and got stuck in the sticks. Even when I'm out around town during nasty weather I have a shovel and winter gear in the car.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

904 AM CST WED FEB 02 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0900 AM HEAVY SNOW OHARE AIRPORT 41.98N 87.90W

02/02/2011 M19.5 INCH COOK IL OFFICIAL NWS OBS

At this point, officially the 3rd biggest snowstorm in Chicago's recorded history.

1) 23.0" Jan 26-27, 1967

2) 21.6" Jan 1-3, 1999

3) 19.5" Feb 1-2, 2011

4) 19.2" Mar 25-26, 1930

5) 18.8" Jan 13-14, 1979

lol! Stalker?

lol! Stalker?

:gun_bandana:

Depends if he has pictures of her too :)

Warm up her car for 30 minutes??? Is it -30F? :) I'd think 5-10 min would do it.

She was trying to clear the snow off her car with a glove. I assume she hasn't figured out a snow brush/scraper might be a good idea. Still, you have no idea what the sheet of sleet/ice/snow is like on the cars here. Very thick.

Midway getting lambasted right now.

METAR KMDW 021451Z 33021G29KT 1/16SM R31C/1000FT +SN BLSN VV002 M07/M09 A3001 RMK AO2 PK WND 32029/1446 PRESRR SLP179 SNINCR 1/19 P0000 60000 T10721094 53066 $

Archived