joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memorial Day - heavy rain threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked the wrong day to unplug things in order to attach a wifi-extender:  my monitor isn't reporting it's data.  I fear I didn't link it back up to my station either.  My mother-in-law's sleeping in that same room so I can't even get in now to fix it.

Either way, it's been torrential for the last couple hours.  I'm in that secondary/tertiary band that's running through far NW Mass.

Winding down here.  Hoping it clears out for a rumbler this afternoon.

I just realized that with a swimming pool, I can "eyeball" how much rain we've gotten by the change in water level in relation to the skimmers .  I'm estimating we wound up with between 1-2".

.70" here as the back edge moves through.

New England winner is Stockbridge, MA .2 NNE.

That station is showing 4.04" of rainfall and most of it in 70 minutes.

Observer Notes: Rain started at 1310 and proceded to become heavy mixed with pea sized hail, Water quickly over came the drainage system and flooding occured. State of Emergency declared.

New England winner is Stockbridge, MA .2 NNE.

That station is showing 4.04" of rainfall and most of it in 70 minutes.

Observer Notes: Rain started at 1310 and proceded to become heavy mixed with pea sized hail, Water quickly over came the drainage system and flooding occured. State of Emergency declared.

Meanwhile a few miles away from that deluge, about a tenth of an inch occurred. We just had light anvil rain and rumbles for a couple of hours. Summer rain is so fickle.

At least we had a bit over 0.5" last night and earlier this morning.

as the sky condition begins to pale and alleviate during early afternoon ... there should be some surface heating (more west of course..); we'll see how any resulting destabilization behaves.  

otherwise, this is sort of what I meant yesterday when I thought that flood risk "might" be over-assessed.

I don't disagree that the pwats were large .. but we still need(ed) a trigger/forcing to really get that going.  some of this is/was idiosyncratic too.  if the timing was better.    

as the sky condition begins to pale and alleviate during early afternoon ... there should be some surface heating (more west of course..); we'll see how any resulting destabilization behaves.

otherwise, this is sort of what I meant yesterday when I thought that flood risk "might" be over-assessed.

I don't disagree that the pwats were large .. but we still need(ed) a trigger/forcing to really get that going. some of this is/was idiosyncratic too. if the timing was better.

It was always supposed to be localized. I don't think even our most bullish posters were advertising a widespread flooding event.

It was always supposed to be localized. I don't think even our most bullish posters were advertising a widespread flooding event.

yeeeah, but "localized" can validate any circumstance then - this 'localized' didn't deserve the status, either, and I think KTAN was over cautious. 

Archived