joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 discussion/obs

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The near record blocking did a good job muting the warmth potential this month.

It's the first time the monthly departure in NYC at +0.9 is running below +1.0

since the -0.2 for June 2015. April also set the 2000's monthly low at 26.

and NYC went a 4th April in a row without getting to 85 degrees or higher.

Hit 82 yesterday. I believe that was my 6th 80 plus temp of the year...looking cool and raw Thursday and Friday but hope to get a little sun today

Parallel or south  of the Driscoll bridge in the spring is much closer to PHL and TTN than NYC and LI many times.

The warmth likes to push just up to NYC/LI doorstep warm sectoring your area while we stay cooler.

Such is springtime on your side of the NY Bight.

Parallel or south of the Driscoll bridge in the spring is much closer to PHL and TTN than NYC and LI many times.

The warmth likes to push just up to NYC/LI doorstep warm sectoring your area while we stay cooler.

Very true. Great post

Parallel or south of the Driscoll bridge in the spring is much closer to PHL and TTN than NYC and LI many times.

Yeah, NJ has a lot of distictinve "weather zones" that vary from season to season, and that is one of them for sure.

Very true. At least this time it's not just the south shore of the island suffering. There have been a couple days getting off the train from the city might have been the difference between Virginia and Maine not 25 miles

Even areas 5 miles to the SW of EWR were 7/8 degrees warmer yesterday. Though it was a very brief warmup. Seemed like the warm air hit the GSP and stalled

Definitely had a very tight gradient yesterday. I saw Vineland hit 85° when I checked some WU stations. I was in the 50s at the same time, as were many others in the area,

Everyone is getting in on the backdoor cooling today as Philly is only 54 this hour compared to 86

yesterday. Less of a dramatic change for NYC which is currently 59 after only reaching 60 yesterday.

FOK is the big winner at 48 degrees after reaching a high of 50.

NYC continues at the driest MAR/APR so far with just a few more days to go.

Euro has about 0.3 more rain for April.

...2.73...2016 so far

This is in stark contrast to our last 2 super El Ninos here.

MAR/APR

MAR/APR 1983 was the wettest on record here. I can remember all the basement flooding

in the spring of 1983 in Long Beach. 

NYC continues at the driest MAR/APR so far with just a few more days to go.

Euro has about 0.3 more rain for April.

...2.73...2016 so far

This is in stark contrast to our last 2 super El Ninos here.

MAR/APR

MAR/APR 1983 was the wettest on record here. I can remember all the basement flooding

in the spring of 1983 in Long Beach.

Great stats. Shows how we live In a dogs are cats and cats are dogs kind of world now.

If the dryness continues into the summer we could be in trouble

Great stats. Shows how we live In a dogs are cats and cats are dogs kind of world now.

If the dryness continues into the summer we could be in trouble

My friends basement got flooded that spring 1983 deluge. We had to throw all his carpets out 

and it took a while to get rid of the mildew smell. The sump pump was going full blast.

I have videos of flooding in the Poconos in April 1983...2007 and 1980 had a very wet March and April also...2010 had a very wet March...

Many El Ninos had really wet MAR/APR periods. The tax day record breaking rainstorm in April 2007

and the March 2010 heavy rains. This year is a dry outlier for El Ninos closer to 1995 which was a much

weaker event.

it's possible the wet regime we have been in since 1971 is over...the big drought from the 1950's to the 1960's ended in 1971...Since then NYC has averaged near 50" a year...Before 1971 it was close to 42" a year...The wettest ten year period was from 2002-2011...The driest 10 year period was 1956-1965...

1956-1965........36.87"

2002-2011........56.27"

Archived