joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/Summer Mountain/Foothills thread

Met1985

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the App Trail between Roan and Hump Mountain Sunday late morning through sunset. It was much like a winter day with 42 the highest temperature I observed with temps breaking above freezing around 100pm

I was suppose to go camping up in Carvers Gap this weekend but had to buy a vehicle so I had to cancel. They said they woke up to snow and ice Sunday morning with the wind blowing 90 lol. Typical mountain weather in May.

Noticed the HWRF is a stand alone model in bringing potential Tropical Storm Bonnie into the Western NC and NC High Country area

Hopefully it will stay East to keep from having a weekend wash out

bKntCgh.png

Update:

KGSP's expert analysis:

.SHORT TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
As of 300 AM Friday...The latest operational models are in good
agreement on a tropical disturbance (which as of this writing has an
80% chance of becoming a named storm within 48 hours per NHC)
drifting NW toward the SC coast on Saturday. The SFC low pressure
center looks to be not far SW of Charleston by 00z Sunday. How
strong the system will get is still uncertain...as it looks to take
a while for it to organize. In any case, there should be a ring of
subsidence around the system and over our area during the day. so
saturday looks like a dry and warm day for the most part. Highs a
couple categories above normal.

Saturday night and Sunday...models start to diverge on the handling
of the tropical system...with the GFS bringing the center into
southern SC and stalling out...while the ECMWF make a right turn and
drift toward the NE across the coastal plain. The stalls the low
offshore thru F84 hours. With all that said...there should be a
general increase in moisture...especially across the I-77 corridor
Sunday. I will forecast generally chance PoPs for Sunday...with some
low-end likely east of Charlotte. Temps will feature above normal
lows and near normal highs.

"Hopefully it will stay East to keep from having a weekend wash out"

I'm gonna disagree with your hope and wish for a washout. I want it to stay as wet and cool as it can for the foreseeable future. Of course, it doesn't matter what either of us wishes or hopes for because neither of us controls the weather.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

"Hopefully it will stay East to keep from having a weekend wash out"

I'm gonna disagree with your hope and wish for a washout. I want it to stay as wet and cool as it can for the foreseeable future. Of course, it doesn't matter what either of us wishes or hopes for because neither of us controls the weather.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

You are right that events such as this can be a fork in road to keep a potentially hot dry pattern to be established

I have already had my fill of warmer weather and counting down the days to fall and the first upslope snow

6z GFS weak landfall in GA. Ground zero south-west NC, NC mountains, NC foothills, and north-west Piedmont of NC with several inches.

gfs_apcpn_seus_52.png

Seriously? I haven't been on the southeast forum in a bit and I come back to posts like this?

1. This is a rainfall map that covers 16 days. It is impossible to say which exact day rainfall occurred.

2. SW NC mountains receive the most rainfall compared to any other place in NC. It would be unusual for a 16 day precip map to not show them being ground zero for rain.

3. SW NC got good amounts of rain over the last 5 days, that is what the GFS was hinting at. They may get some rain from the tropical storm, but they won't be ground zero.

Sorry I am not trying to pick on you, but you are hyping this tropical storm like it is major. I would have hated to see you during Arthur, that storm was all over the place. I like to stick to 5 day intervals on precip maps to make storm assumptions.

Seriously? I haven't been on the southeast forum in a bit and I come back to posts like this?

Not trying to hype just posting model output. 16day map was used 5 days ago because Bonnie is a several day affair for some and with it being late Spring/early summer its pretty much dry as a bone for other time frames. Also Bonnie contributes to residue moisture near the ground for summer storms in the higher terrain as storm leaves.

It was sunny and 70ish when we left the Watauga County Animal Shelter Dog Park around 11:30'this morning to head back home. Good thing we knew to diregard the forecast of doom and take our trip. It was absolutely beautiful when we rode through Wilkesboro by the way.

It was sunny and 70ish when we left the Watauga County Animal Shelter Dog Park around 11:30'this morning to head back home. Good thing we knew to diregard the forecast of doom and take our trip. It was absolutely beautiful when we rode through Wilkesboro by the way.

Yep not a bad weekend at all. Nice temps and nice weather. We do need some rain but all in all not bad.

Archived