• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Rjay

Typically you won't get a ton of fatalities in a snowstorms from accident because the lack of people on the roads and if they are their not going very fast. I'm sure the fatalities would be up in FRZ rain events and sleet if we had more of them around here.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the practical mind car accidents are caused by people who do not slow down when the wintry precipitation starts falling. It is not like wintry precip falls suddenly out of the clear blue sky.

Unlike sudden floods or landslides caused by heavy downpours which also could be linked to people settling too close to large rivers, oceans and hills.

So one could conclude that people are far deadlier than any natural calamity or during a calamity a or weather event.

I agree, most weather phenomena is predictable and avoidable. Find shelter when you hear rumbles of thunder in the distance. If you live somewhere like Oklahoma you should own a weather radio and/or know of a nearby tornado shelter, don't be a sitting duck. I know it's easier said than done, but at the same time don't put your life at risk.

There are things outside of your control though, like being stuck on a plane flying through a thunderstorm with the threat of being struck by lightning or being blown out of the sky by a downburst.

Crappy day at the beach today. Fog and windy all day and very chilly after a great weekend

Drove back from CT late yesterday and could see the fog bank sitting over Long Island from across the Sound.

Beautiful day up there along the shore with a nice sea breeze and mostly sunny skies.

Finally got into the fog when we started heading south on 135 here on the Island last night.

Drove back from CT late yesterday and could see the fog bank sitting over Long Island from across the Sound.

Beautiful day up there along the shore with a nice sea breeze and mostly sunny skies.

Finally got into the fog when we started heading south on 135 here on the Island last night.

The Ambrose jet was starting to crank when I left work at the beach 45 min ago. Not to windy at my house though in wantagh so definitely localized

The Ambrose jet was starting to crank when I left work at the beach 45 min ago. Not to windy at my house though in wantagh so definitely localized

Yeah, had many spring and summer bike rides on the LB boardwalk with the Ambrose Jet cranking. 

Once it gets going, there is always plenty of sand blowing off the beach and down the local streets.

Sea breezes are one of the things that make the South Shore of Long Island truly great when

interior areas are getting no relief from the heat.

Yeah, had many spring and summer bike rides on the LB boardwalk with the Ambrose Jet cranking. 

Once it gets going, there is always plenty of sand blowing off the beach and down the local streets.

Sea breezes are one of the things that make the South Shore of Long Island truly great when

Also the NJ shore.  Can be 95 inland and it's 85 with a breeze off the water.

I have seen Ambrose jet events with 50mph gusts right at the beach and just an absolute sandstorm. As in if you weren't wearing pants your legs would get shredded. The interesting thing is most other times we have winds that strong and it's not raining its winter westerlys and no ones on the beach. The dry sand with winds that strong make a mini Sahara

More dramatic than that. The past several days it's been in the mid/upper 80s/90F at my location and upper 60s (even mid 60s occasionally) on the beach front with a gusty south wind. Nice for those who live on the coast and want to save on A/C. Living near the Monmouth coast, I don't think one would need to install their A/C until mid June.

Great town. 

Agreed. Much of Monmouth County has beautiful land; Freehold, Howell, Holmdel, Atlantic Highlands, Upper Freehold, Millstone are all very nice. Holmdel/Atlantic Highlands you have a bit more of the forest/woods theme while the other towns are disproportionately fields.

The sea breeze when I was in CT on Sunday was also fantastic. It was gorgeous down at the shore and the 

breeze was still pretty good about 5 miles inland. 

I have seen Ambrose jet events with 50mph gusts right at the beach and just an absolute sandstorm. As in if you weren't wearing pants your legs would get shredded. The interesting thing is most other times we have winds that strong and it's not raining its winter westerlys and no ones on the beach. The dry sand with winds that strong make a mini Sahara

I can remember an Ambrose Jet day back in the 80's that also had severe gusts on a squall line gust front.

While I am not sure of the exact date, the winds peeled off a section of a flat roof apartment complex on

Shore Road near Monroe beach.

Archived