Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This argument falls flat, I think. Heat alone kills twice as many people annually as cold exposure and winter precipitation threats combined.

hazstat-chart15-lg.gif

Not so fast there, winter is far deadlier than summer, more people die in car accidents caused by wintry precipitation than from all other weather related hazards combined. Those crashes kill roughly 800 people annually.

Anyone think we're going to have an active hurricane season on the Atlantic this year? I think we see a lot of threats over the next 4 months. By the way I'm going to my honey moon on late December to either Aruba or Turks and Caicos, should I even be worried about hurricanes than?

The forecast is for average but it's anybody's guess. I think late December you'll be safe

The forecast is for average but it's anybody's guess. I think late December you'll be safe

thank you. I was going to go to Fiji with my fiancé but it's too far man. And I'm working so much I really just wanna travel minimal and lay out on the beach and drink some coronitas and chill!

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone

Sent from MAM

Got a link for that? Or prove this one wrong i guess? ;)

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/weather/q1_roadimpact.htm

This only covers 2006-2010, but here:

During 2006–2010, about 2,000 U.S. residents died each year from weather-related causes of death. About 31% of these deaths were attributed to exposure to excessive natural heat, heat stroke, sun stroke, or all; 63% were attributed to exposure to excessive natural cold, hypothermia, or both; and the remaining 6% were attributed to floods, storms, or lightning.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr076.pdf

I didn't read the entire thing, but it should mention auto accidents somewhere (or not lol). I'm trying to find the article/source I originally read.

Not so fast there, winter is far deadlier than summer, more people die in car accidents caused by wintry precipitation than from all other weather related hazards combined. Those crashes kill roughly 800 people annually.

But heightened traffic volumes in the summertime cause even more fatal car accidents.

Maybe. I made that up. Sounds plausible, though.

Hot weather is also correlated with more violence and homicides and many heat related deaths are indirect.

Usually the cause is simply listed as a stroke or heart attack so those stats are incomplete.

Crazy people come out in the summer

To the practical mind car accidents are caused by people who do not slow down when the wintry precipitation starts falling. It is not like wintry precip falls suddenly out of the clear blue sky.

Unlike sudden floods or landslides caused by heavy downpours which also could be linked to people settling too close to large rivers, oceans and hills.

So one could conclude that people are far deadlier than any natural calamity or during a calamity a or weather event.

Archived