Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/20-21/2016 Snowfall Obs Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been reading these forums for months and enjoy the posts and insights very much! Always loved weather especially winter weather,,,and you guys have helped explain a lot to me ( as I said in post number one I'm a novice ) so thank you,,,,,,trial period will be over soon but I will probably be back in the Fall to sign up for a membership,,and then you guys can once again tell me how I am reading computer runs and radars incorrectly,,,lol

In keeping with the thread grass ,deck and cars were covered here in Rockland but not much else, kids went to bed with flakes falling and were disappointed no school delay today,lol. Weren't we all,,,

Guest Pamela

I have been reading these forums for months and enjoy the posts and insights very much! Always loved weather especially winter weather,,,and you guys have helped explain a lot to me ( as I said in post number one I'm a novice ) so thank you,,,,,,trial period will be over soon but I will probably be back in the Fall to sign up for a membership,,and then you guys can once again tell me how I am reading computer runs and radars incorrectly,,,lol

In keeping with the thread grass ,deck and cars were covered here in Rockland but not much else, kids went to bed with flakes falling and were disappointed no school delay today,lol. Weren't we all,,,

Welcome to the weather board...it is nice to have you among us!

I often go to the intellicast snow cover maps the morning after a storm to see what areas got how much snow...( I got about 0.2 inches of snow here in rockland).  Im seeing on todays snow cover map that pretty much the entire NYC metro area has a 4-8 inch swatch as of 9:37am this morning. Now clearly that's not the case. Does anyone know why their map is so off? Is it usually this off? Also, does anyone know of a good reliable snow cover map that can show what areas have what snow depths daily? Thanks! 

Solid 2.5" in wantagh put us at 44" on the season. We were below 32 for a good portion as we stopped melting off.

Two El Nino back-loaded winters in a row with all the accumulation coming after January 20th and extending into March. Decembers have been really lackluster for snow here going back to 2011. We got lucky for about 10

days in December 2013 when the -EPO was able to overpower the raging +NAO/+AO pattern. After two

great Decembers in 2010 and 2011, the +NAO/+AO pattern has generally been running the table.

Believe me; their measurements are better than they once were....up to 2006...they had a tendency to under measure severely....it has gotten better over the last 10 years.  Same circumstances applied at Islip...they have been fairly accurate since 2007.  Both had long term averages prior to 2007 that were at least 5 to 7 inches removed from reality.

BDR for the Blizzard of 96 had 14 inches.  I'm 7 miles from there and we had a solid 20-25. I could list another 10 examples.  Just ridiculous.   Not sure I've seen an improvement since 2006 though.   Only big event I've ever seen measured decently was the blizzard of Feb 2013-they came in with 30 inches and that seemed spot on.

Guest Pamela

Today's climate summary indicated Central Park picked up 0.5" of snow.

LOL...it was quite the feet of legerdemain how they magically transmuted from a "trace" at 8 AM on all previous PNS's...until the latest one...which now lists them with "0.5" inches at that same 8 AM.    This implies the physically impossible...0.5 inches falling at one instantaneous moment in time.

For the eyes of Pamela see everything...

LOL...it was quite the feet of legerdemain how they magically transmuted from a "trace" at 8 AM on all previous PNS's...until the latest one...which now lists them with "0.5" inches at that same 8 AM.    This implies the physically impossible...0.5 inches falling at one instantaneous moment in time.

For the eyes of Pamela see everything...

More than likely, the 8 am figure was incorrect. A coating on grassy surfaces > a trace. It would be interesting to know whether the 0.5" figure was assigned based on LGA's measurement or whether it was the figure when the snow stopped falling.

Guest Pamela

More than likely, the 8 am figure was incorrect. A coating on grassy surfaces > a trace. It would be interesting to know whether the 0.5" figure was assigned based on LGA's measurement or whether it was the figure when the snow stopped falling.

Soo sad when snow amounts must be "assigned"...even when an observer is on active duty.

Soo sad when snow amounts must be "assigned"...even when an observer is on active duty.

it seems like most of the errors (of omission) always happen late at night and early am hours...It makes me think who ever is responsible to take measurements is either not there or asleep...

it seems like most of the errors (of omission) always happen late at night and early am hours...It makes me think who ever is responsible to take measurements is either not there or asleep...

There are third and fourth possibilities here. If there is anyone on duty and that is questionable at various times, be it the Conservancy or Zoo, they are either incompetent or they just don't give a sh!t. I have found through the years the latter to be mostly true.

Lol there were some cartops with a bit of snow when I woke up...virtually nothing stuck as I thought...marginal temps and marginal rates. Why people keep buying into the snowier models and tossing the least snowy is our great mystery. March snow is not about hugging snow maps...kudos to NWS in Mt Holly for their accurate reasoned forecast

What models where thrown out? All of them had a inch at best for u Lolz

Guest Pamela

We didn't get more snow because of the lack of precip. Not the temps.

NYC metro saw under .15" of total precip. That has nothing to do with climatology or sun angle.

Lol at people trying to spin it that it was because of temps.

Uncomfortable truths that reveal unpleasant realities are *always* denied with the utmost vigor...

Urban areas on the Eastern Seaboard between 39 N & 41 N have a very difficult time seeing accumulating snowfalls after 15 March.  The climate record is very illustrative of this assertion.  We can deny the veracity of this fact; but ultimately, we are just fooling ourselves...

Uncomfortable truths that reveal unpleasant realities are *always* denied with the utmost vigor...

Urban areas on the Eastern Seaboard between 39 N & 41 N have a very difficult time seeing accumulating snowfalls after 15 March. The climate record is very illustrative of this assertion. We can deny the veracity of this fact; but ultimately, we are just fooling ourselves...

Of course. But with this specific storm, it was the lack of precip. Not the temps.

LI saw more snow because of the qpf amount.

Simple.

Of course. But with this specific storm, it was the lack of precip. Not the temps.

LI saw more snow because of the qpf amount.

Simple.

Last year we had 6-8 inches on 3/21 and some of it was during the day.   It's all about QPF and to a secondary extent day vs night this  time of year.

Last year we had 6-8 inches on 3/21 and some of it was during the day. It's all about QPF and to a secondary extent day vs night this time of year.

Of course. Get the rates high enough and it will accumulate in June at 12pm. We had about 2.5" in Eastern nassua but it fell so slow it never accumulated on the pavement. Even it was January I think we were looking at about 3-6"

Archived