• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
-EPO Cold/ High Winds/ Snow To Start April

bluewave

Euro, NAM and GFS continue to advertise winds gusting 50-60 MPH early Sunday morning (even well inland) as well as a steep temperature drop.

Euro and GFS also went south with the shortwave for Sunday. Maybe some snow squalls to go with that and crashing temps?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro and GFS also went south with the shortwave for Sunday. Maybe some snow squalls to go with that and crashing temps?

More than likely over New England. There will be an impressive tropopause fold over them Sunday morning. They may see some heavy convective snow squalls

upton barking for high winds Sun AM. Maybe High wind warnings

I can definitely see it right at the coast. CAA events have a reputation for over performing. I could even see scattered damage. This could be our strongest wind event out of that direction in years. If leaves were out yet wow. I could see magnolia trees which have those huge flowers taking a hit they are in full bloom in the city

I can definitely see it right at the coast. CAA events have a reputation for over performing. I could even see scattered damage. This could be our strongest wind event out of that direction in years. If leaves were out yet wow. I could see magnolia trees which have those huge flowers taking a hit they are in full bloom in the city

The shortwave on Sunday has trended south the past 24 hours, and that puts the best winds to our southwest then south, we need it a little north to be in the sweet spot.

The shortwave on Sunday has trended south the past 24 hours, and that puts the best winds to our southwest then south, we need it a little north to be in the sweet spot.

Yeah, the core of the LLJ max brushes the South Shore of Long Island since the low has trended a little more south.

The mixed layer is really deep so whatever LLJ is over us will have no problem mixing down to the surface.

SND.gif

Which is why it's a shame the models shifted South, the Euro is very far south relative to what models showed just yesterday.

Edit, the NAM came in with some impressive gusts for coastal locations

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2016033118&time=INSTANT&var=GUSTM&hour=066

Which is why it's a shame the models shifted South, the Euro is very far south relative to what models showed just yesterday.

Edit, the NAM came in with some impressive gusts for coastal locations

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2016033118&time=INSTANT&var=GUSTM&hour=066

The 0z Euro came a little further north so it drags a 50-60 KT LLJ right across the area early Sunday.

A track like that would result in one of the more significant CAA mix down high wind events here in recent years.

All of that LLJ would be able to reach the surface in gusts since the mixing layer is so deep.

The 0z Euro came a little further north so it drags a 50-60 KT LLJ right across the area early Sunday.

A track like that would result in one of the more significant CAA mix down high wind events here in recent years.

All of that LLJ would be able to reach the surface in gusts since the mixing layer is so deep.

Hearing the NAM is impressive too.

It initially has the higher winds in the Mid Atlantic region to southern NJ, but it then moves the higher winds northward,and is especially good for coastal locations. It still has pretty good winds for NNJ, but if that low is a little north of what the NAM is depicting, we'll all be in business.

From NWS:

Ce8_i4SUIAAkLTO.jpg

There we go. I'm still expecting CAA over preforms at the coast. There could be gusts pushing 70. Definitely our strongest high wind threat from that direction since maybe Boxing Day. Since it's not our usual high wind direction (east and north east) so there could be some decent damage potential

The 12z actually strengthens the LLJ from 12-15Z on Sunday and expands it NE across area as the low rapidly deepens. It has widespread 50KT gusts and the potential for 60KT gusts as the LLJ sweeps across. 

One of the lowest -EPO readings on record a few days ago for this time of year.

This was also the first -360 reading any time of year since right before Sandy

with January 2014 coming close.

2016 03 30 -360.46

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/teleconn/epo.reanalysis.t10trunc.1948-present.txt

3/14/58...-355.22

3/25/96...-393.86

3/25/79...-359.44

3/28/54...-355.36

4/15/65...-406.89

Recent -360 or lower readings

2012 10 08 -365.66

2014 01 25 -359.74..close

Archived