Newest Member
    SnowHabit
-EPO Cold/ High Winds/ Snow To Start April

bluewave

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im surprised they even reported.

Had over an inch in White Plains not sure I believe the 3 inch reading at the airport, our high was also 79 on Friday

Yeah, I also think that the 20's in the forecast this week for NYC would be a first for early April following 

a 79 high and a trace of snow.

Hows the Monday into Tuesday event looking?

MONDAY...RAIN. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING. LITTLE OR NO

SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH...

BECOMING NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. RAIN LIKELY IN THE

EVENING. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.

NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 60 PERCENT.

Winds not very impressive here, maybe a few gusts to 50, but nothing extreme.

Best part was the quick shot of heavy snow this morning, my area was the sweet spot on the island, rain changed over to snow right over NW Suffolk and just dumped.

Not bad for April 3.

Even near 10 am there is still snow on the ground

Winds not very impressive here, maybe a few gusts to 50, but nothing extreme.

Best part was the quick shot of heavy snow this morning, my area was the sweet spot on the island, rain changed over to snow right over NW Suffolk and just dumped.

Not bad for April 3.

Even near 10 am there is still snow on the ground

Opposite result here on the south shore of western Suffolk. No snow accumulation, but the wind gusts were impressive. I've been in my current apartment (second floor) for two years and this is the first wind event that shook it!

Guest Pamela

814temp.new.gif

Back to normal soon

How in the world does one read "back to normal" soon from an evaluation of that map...since, in the mid latitudes...most weather moves from west to east and there is a large pool of cool sitting off to the west?

Moreover, the assumption by CPC (and they are good) of that narrow demarcation between above & below that bisects New Jersey is likely predicated on the idea that a major slow moving cyclone would track somewhere in that general vicinity...with the warmth pulled up and ahead to the east and the cool kept in place to the west...8 to 14 days out...such a track is subject to quite a bit of potential revision...especially with such an expansive pool of cool sitting off to the west.. an anomalously cold air mass that likewise shows up on their 6 to 10 day outlook.

Forecast maps are tools...not an end in themselves.  W/o the ability to analyze them...we end up drawing unsound conclusions.

Guest Pamela

CT had a terrible winter snow wise....but they are a great snow state...considering the lack of latitude and relatively limited altitude (for the most part).  They did cash in a with a bit more yesterday.

SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1035 PM EDT MON APR 04 2016

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN
SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE
ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/NYC

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

CONNECTICUT

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...
   NEW FAIRFIELD          4.0   615 PM  4/04  TRAINED SPOTTER

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...
   HADDAM                 1.5   715 PM  4/04  TRAINED SPOTTER

...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...
   WATERBURY              2.5   500 PM  4/04  CT DOT
   MERIDEN                2.0   500 PM  4/04  CT DOT
   SOUTHBURY              1.0   700 PM  4/04  CT DOT

...NEW LONDON COUNTY...
   COLCHESTER             2.5   500 PM  4/04  CT DOT
   NORWICH                1.8   500 PM  4/04  CT DOT

Im surprised they even reported.

I didn't think it was possible, but in their rookie season the Conservancy has exceeded the Central Park Zoo for snow  measuring incompetence. In the future they should just take each reported measurement and multiply by 1.1. For measurements under 1 inch just average whatever is reported at LGA and EWR.

No it's not scientific or entirely accurate but I guarantee it will be closer to realty than what has gone on there the past several decades.

Of course the best solution would be to have a couple of dedicated people measure during snow events, (trained spotters maybe, I mean there are probably 20,000 people that live within a couple of blocks of Central Park), especially historic ones but that would be to simple.

I didn't think it was possible, but in their rookie season the Conservancy has exceeded the Central Park Zoo for snow measuring incompetence. In the future they should just take each reported measurement and multiply by 1.1. For measurements under 1 inch just average whatever is reported at LGA and EWR.

No it's not scientific or entirely accurate but I guarantee it will be closer to realty than what has gone on there the past several decades.

Of course the best solution would be to have a couple of dedicated people measure during snow events, (trained spotters maybe, I mean there are probably 20,000 people that live within a couple of blocks of Central Park), especially historic ones but that would be to simple.

I agree and unfortunately snow measurement incompetence overall runs rampant. You still have people who measure on grass, on the driveway, and the deck. There are also still folks who did actually spend a few dollars on a snow board but are still sweeping it in the middle of an event. Combine this with the need for some to be #1 in accumulation and I believe that there are more suspect measurements these days than accurate ones.

Archived