SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Grade the winter of 2015/2016

Rjay

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(C -) One warning level snow, although it was high end (22")

The Winter was as a whole was very boring. Most storm threats fizzled out early and we only had about a two week span of hardcore tracking.

The lack of cold doesn't bother me. That was actually a positive for me. It was cold enough for two weeks to make up the entire cold air deficit for the season.

So far...

The good:

Well above average snowfall

HECS

Below zero temp

The bad:

No sustained cold

No long lasting snow cover

The ugly:

Record warm December

Overall grade: A

Looking at the history of my area this was a great winter despite the lack of sustained cold and snowcover.

Last winter, with a lot more snow and a lot more cold was an A/A+.  This winter with good snow, one great storm, and 2 cold days out of an entire winter gets a B- from me.  The snow part is above average so far (31") and even above average for the whole season, so that's probably an A-, but the cold is probably a C-, since this will end up being a top 2-3 all-time warmest winter (with only the historic 2-day cold saving the cold score from being an F).  

So, A- for snow, and C- for cold, equal B- overall, in my world.  

Last winter, with a lot more snow and a lot more cold was an A/A+. This winter with good snow, one great storm, and 2 cold days out of an entire winter gets a B- from me. The snow part is above average so far (31") and even above average for the whole season, so that's probably an A-, but the cold is probably a C-, since this will end up being a top 2-3 all-time warmest winter (with only the historic 2-day cold saving the cold score from being an F). C- for cold?

So, A- for snow, and C- for cold, equal B- overall, in my world.

Dude we had the coldest night in over 20 years and I got 30 inches from one storm alone.

I'll just use el nino winters as a comparison...2015-16 is the warmest of these years but has the coldest winter minimum and biggest snowfall...from top to bottom...

1977-78

2002-03...

2009-10

1957-58...

1963-64...

2004-05...

1940-41

1968-69...

2015-16...

1982-83...

1986-87...

1965-66...

1987-88...

1951-52...

1941-42...

2006-07...

1994-95...

1991-92...

1972-73...

1997-98...

Dude we had the coldest night in over 20 years and I got 30 inches from one storm alone.

Snow is somewhat above average right now and a great blizzard, which is A- and it'll be one of the top 2 warmest winters ever, which would normally be an F, but I bumped it to a C- for the 2 days of extreme cold.  Seems fair to me - would you rate it better than that?  

Snow is somewhat above average right now and a great blizzard, which is A- and it'll be one of the top 2 warmest winters ever, which would normally be an F, but I bumped it to a C- for the 2 days of extreme cold. Seems fair to me - would you rate it better than that?

That's fair I said b overall cause we got lucky! With the snow and the cold otherwise this winter would have been a huge bust!

Grades are very individually dependent on what one was looking for.

Given the past two winters and how persistently cold and snowy they were (and believe me, I love that), I was craving a winter that provided a true HECS more than usual, so the warmth that was otherwise centered around it didn't matter as much. The blizzard was well worth the wait.

Would people who got crushed by the blizzard really hit the reset button on this winter and hope for a different outcome, knowing they would risk missing the blizzard? 

With all of that being said, plus the fact that I got 11" with that amazing frontal wave (and 3.5" in one hour and 4.5" in 90 minutes!) and 16-17" total besides the blizzard, plus NYC finally going below 0, makes this winter an A for me.

Going below 0 in NYC was an extremely thrilling event for me -- many thought it would never happen again, and it happened in February of a Super Nino of all things. 

Also, I don't think we're done yet. 

A+ got my first severe storm in many many many years.

Why didn't I have professors like you in college, I would have graduated with a 4.0. MET winter will end with only 19 days out of 91 being below normal, and as the second warmest ever. If you use the running 30 year average of 28.7 inches per year, snowfall in NYC of 31.2 will be slightly above average, provided no more falls. I get the blizzard and finally getting sub zero after 22 years up it a grade but A+? To each his own I suppose.

Definitely an F in the HV and a C in NYC. I Suppose if I lived in areas of LI that had 40 inches I could see a B-

Why didn't I have professors like you in college, I would have graduated with a 4.0. MET winter will end with 19 days out of 91 being below normal, and as the second warmest ever. If you use the running 30 year average of 28.7 inches per year, snowfall in NYC of 31.2 will be slightly above average, provided no more falls. I get the blizzard and finally getting sub zero after 22 years up it a grade but A+? To each his own I suppose.

Defiantly an F in the HV and a C in NYC. I Suppose if I lived in areas of LI that had 40 inches I could see a B-

Read Dsnowx's post. We're on the same page.

Anyway, my area received a HECS, we are well above average in snowfall, we went below zero and got my first legit severe storm in a long long time.

For the coast it was the best 2nd warmest winter ever that I could have imagined.  Difference between this and gems such as 11-12 and 01-02 was it was even warmer,except for one halfway decent 4 week period that the others didn't have.

I was expecting this type of winter minus the one good period, hence the not so tongue in cheek "best worst winter ever".

I think getting to average or above average snowfall (for the majority of us) automatically keeps this winter at a C or better. The warmth and lack of snow cover or sustained cold means it can't really be much better than a B-/C+ except on LI

Agree. C is a good call right now. I will upgrade it to a B if we do get more snow next month .

B-

This was a tough one.....had a 20" snowstorm and dipped to 2 below. Those are the highlights, and are VERY IMPRESSIVE. However, the 20" storm did not have very heavy snow rates, and most of the winter there was very little or no snow on the ground. There are so many things that could have pushed this season to an A grade. However, without the big snowstorm, this could easily have been a D for me, with the highlight being the frigid -2 temperature. This winter may still have another snowstorm to give us

We've had about 40 inches of snow...with a month to go...and that one cold weekend...but everything else was pretty lame...C 4 now.

C, horrific well above spells of temperatures on multiple occasions, pitiful amounts from storms save for the blizzard (highest discounting the blizzard was 2.5"), barely tracked any storms, which mostly brings the excitement out of winter. Sums it up in a nutshell. If it weren't for the blizzard it would be a F, which I am sure many of our NW friends have as their grading.

Archived